Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new Golf diesel
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzamon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: new Golf diesel Reply with quote

I want to my VW dealoer with the intension of buying a new diesel Golf. On the test drive I found the car to be an utter pig! (1.9l/DSG) I turned left out of the car yard & after 50m or so I squeezed gently on the acc pedal to get up to road speed (Selector in 'D'). There was this great hesitation & then the car launched itself off up the road at what seemed like full acceleration with the dsg throwing itself back about 3 gears & the engine screaming up to 7ooo rpm. I tried to drive gently & smoothly but this damn thing was like a raging bull. & the diesel engine noise quite loud in the cabin. I was under the impression that the diesel engine was 'you cant tell the difference once you start driving' &' the DSG has undetectable gear changes'...What a load of rubbish... Needless to say I did not buy one....Very Very dissapointed.... Is there anyone else had this situation? ..or was there something wrong with that car? Bazz
RocktheStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had experience with the diesel golf, but I have wit the diesel jetta. I thought it was a very nice ride. I could hardly hear the engine and the ride was smooth. I wonder what makes the golf so much different.

(0)(=|=)(0) 1968 Karmann Ghia-stock
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocktheStock wrote:
I haven't had experience with the diesel golf, but I have wit the diesel jetta. I thought it was a very nice ride. I could hardly hear the engine and the ride was smooth. I wonder what makes the golf so much different.
My guess would be the driver. Rolling Eyes

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Moehaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've never heard anyone say they didn't like the TDI's. As for the "undetectable gear changes", do you mean as in fast shifts or being able to feel them? I know with the paddles it can change gears at light speed, but I don't know about it in regular auto mode. But I've never heard that it shifts so smooth you can't feel the gear change. Not sure what you ment.

Almost sounds like something is wrong with the car. Your description of the hesitation, then dropping gears and hauling ass to redline, sounds like if you floored it. A TDI powered car shouldn't have any problems getting up to speed at part throttle.
bazzamon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: diesel golf continued Reply with quote

I went back the next day & asked if I could try the 1.9 DSG again. Very dissapointingly, yep It did the same thing. No, I was not flooring it.The gas pedal was pressed maybe 1/4inch. I tried driving in the manual mode & was better but still quite sharpchanging I even detected tyre squeal...on a normal gearchange...... Bloody rubbish. I settled on the 2liter 6 speed auto... Comfortline ..that was quite a lovely car, a zillion times nicer....... Bazz
Moehaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel golf continued Reply with quote

I searched to see what others have said about the TDI and DSG combo. Looks like the DSG tranny doesn't have any type of torque converter. So when the throttle is on, it just hits, there's no smoothness. Plus it downshift so fast and there's no torque converter, the shifts seem really harsh. And I guess where the TDI redlines at like 4500rpm (right?), that's a lot of shifting. One guy said in a parking lot or bad traffic, he leaves it in 2nd so it's not so jerky when he gives it gas.

So it seems you're not alone. Guess the TDI is better suited for a manual or regular auto tranny.
ncbmdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a PD TDI 04 golf after driving my 86 jetta n/a and love it.
If you are used to a gas burner the TDI is louder. If you hit 7k the tranny is hosed.
I can put my tiptronic in first and it will shift @6k rather than blow the motor.
My wife has a passat 2.0 tdi and I did have to use a vag-com to set it to sport mode as it would hunt in economy mode. It adepts way to quick, we live in a subdivision and it will set the shift points very low if you drive it like you care about running over kids and pets.
bazzamon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input & seems like I have to learn about the DSG & how to drive it! My only question now is How noisy is the car at freeway speeds say 70 - 80 MPH?
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an 03 Golf TDi 5 speed. i love it. at highway speeds you don't even hear the engine. i don't have any experience with the Automatic TDI's but i like to drive 5 speeds myself. it doesn;t seem right for the car to job forward like that. no torque converter sounds strange...
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DSG or Direktschaltgetriebe = direct shift transmission does not have a converter because it is not an automatic but a computer controlled manual. It does have 2 clutches though... this makes it so fast. It also does not sacrifice any fuel mileage to a converter. It is simply one of the most advanced and best transmissions available today worldwide, lightyears ahead of automatics. The fast gearchanges can under certain circumstances (full throttle) be a bit hard, normally you almost can not feel them. As for the particular car in question, there must be a fault in the electronic system, that the dealership missed. This is generally the problem of dealerships, especially here in the US, no matter if it's VW, Mercedes or Porsche. The mechanics here lack the proper training from the factory to keep up with the latest innovations.
engineerorange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise Reply with quote

bazzamon wrote:
Thank you all for your input & seems like I have to learn about the DSG & how to drive it! My only question now is How noisy is the car at freeway speeds say 70 - 80 MPH?

I have a 2006 Jetta with the 1.9TDI and DSG.
The only thing to lean about driving a DSG is that it is a manual transmission and as such it will roll backward on a hill. The shifts are very smooth when accelerating normally. You can somtimes feel an upshift if you are creeping along, and a downshift when you slow down. There is nothing harsh about any of the shifts in my car, quite seemless as a matter of fact, about 300 times better than a regular slushbox automatic. The car, just like all diesels, is the loudest in the cabin at idle. There is a distinct growl under accerleration but it is by no means noisy. At freeway speeds you can't hear the engine at all, only tire and wind noise.
Obviously there was something terribly wrong with the car you drove. Try driving another.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: