Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Re-routed fuel pump lines and now it runs ? WHY?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SquareVW4ME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Re-routed fuel pump lines and now it runs ? WHY? Reply with quote

OK, so my 73 FI Sqbk was running great and when i got in to leave my dads last night, i turned the key and YEP the whizzing of the fuel pump.. Turned the key and as usual it wont start the first time, so off with the key and then back on like she always does and NOTHING, no whizzing of the fuel pump (that i could hear) and she wouldnt start.
Long story short, my father and i tore the pump apart even though it would run but wouldnt always produce pressure, only to find nothing wrong. So when we did get it to produce pressure, it was through the return side of the pump not the pressure side so my father switched the lines and she runs great...
So tell me someone with more knowledge than i (this would be just about anyone), is this going to just all of a sudden quit working or hurt anything? He swears and doesnt know why that the pump cant work the other way? I dont believe that cuz it worked great before. I think the little check valve is fubarred and is stuck closed...
So what do you all think?
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you reverse the polarity on the pump by plugging the negative wire into the positive terminal? Those pumps will run backwards if you cross the wires.
73SquareVW4ME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, made sure polarity was correct. But i think that the valve is stuck, the pump seems to be pumping fine but it isnt supposed to pump pressure through the return side of the pump but it is... Question
LesTroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might temporarly route both the output and pressure relief back to the engine -- that way if the relief valve becomes unstuck you wont be hosed again. I haven't done this but don't see how it would hurt.

There are people on the site that will rebuild your pump for ~$60.

Les

1972 Fasty -- more or less stock (1600, FI...)
1971 Square
1966 Fasty body on IRS pan --
73SquareVW4ME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i install a 'Y' with one end of the y connected to the pressure side and one end to the return side and the other to the back, do you think that the pressure going through the return side would open that check valve and cause some weird pressure issues Question Just kind of thinking out loud... But i do agree with you in that with my luck the check valve will get UN-Stuck and then i am screwed again...
Does anyone know how that valve is supposed to work?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, sounds like a stuck pressure valve. Pull it and try the "run forward anc backwards in diesel" trick to try to free it up. If that fails, I think Jim Adney is offering to rebuild the pressure valves for a price.
73SquareVW4ME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried that last night but all that ever happened was it puked gas out the return side... Hard enough that you couldnt stop it with your finger over the end of the line...
My dad is putting it back together as we speak and i have a distinct feeling that because i dont think it is right according to everything i have read about them; that SHE'S GONNA LEAVE ME WALKING.... Shocked
He claims that after he examined the pump and took it apart that there is no possible way that the pump could work the way the manuals say it should and that of course their wrong.... Rolling Eyes
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to thnk about it some more, and look at the hose diagram tonight, but be carefule that you provide SOMEwhere for any excess pressure to go back to the tank, or you could pop fuel lines on a running car... not a good thing! Make sure your clamps are tight in the engine bay...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pressure line pinched? If the pump pressure side is restricted, it will open the return side to keep from stalling the pump.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LesTroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'll have to thnk about it some more, and look at the hose diagram tonight, but be carefule that you provide SOMEwhere for any excess pressure to go back to the tank, or you could pop fuel lines on a running car... not a good thing! Make sure your clamps are tight in the engine bay...

How is "Y"ing the pressure, and return line from the pump, to run back to the engine different than using a bus pump, or a ranger FP as recommended here which don't have the pressure relief at the pump??

I agree that the clamps should always be tight and, lines in good shape.

Les

1972 Fasty -- more or less stock (1600, FI...)
1971 Square
1966 Fasty body on IRS pan --
73SquareVW4ME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Do you have a pressure line pinched? If the pump pressure side is restricted, it will open the return side to keep from stalling the pump.

When we had the pump out of the car the return port is the only port that would let the gas through, now i think once or twice the center port(pressure) would spit and sputter but that was it...
I drove it to work this morning (with no problems) with the return side of the pump piped to the fuel ring and the pressure side piped as the return which also goes to the tank...
I just have a feeling that pressure valve is going to shuttle back where it belongs; opening the pressure port and pumping all the gas right back to the tank Sad which means no pressure to the fuel ring... All of that equals ~~~ SHOE LEATHER EXPRESS ~~~ Evil or Very Mad (NOT Evil or Very Mad BECAUSE I'M WALKING BUT BECAUSE I WILL HAVE TO LEAVE MY CAR UN-ATTENDED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WIATING FOR THE ASPHALT ASSAULT) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
73SquareVW4ME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did i tell ya, the little bugger quit yesterday on me, what poetic justice; it quit right in front of my dads house....

OK, So anyone who has followed this thread, guess what he said ????

COME ON!

COME ON!

YEP ~ HE SAID "I DONT THINK IT'S THE FUEL PUMP" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=475642
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: