Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian Postal Money orders
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Canadian Postal Money orders Reply with quote

I've heard of a few cases of US banks not wanting to cash money orders from Canada Post in US$.
Has anyone here got any first hand experiences either positive or negative?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold items to many Canadians and have *never* had a problem with Canadian money orders written in US funds. Like all other foreign transactions, the buyer will send you a legally acceptable International Money Order drafted in the proper funds. If in doubt, take the note to your bank for them to confirm authenticity.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with this a few weeks ago for the first time in years. The seller emailed me a nasty message saying that my payment 'bounced'. Of course I wrote him that it couldn't bonce since it was an International money order issued by Canada post. As it turns out, he deposited it to the Credit Union and they refused to honour it. When I asked at the post office here, they said that some banks won't honour it but post offices will. I've never had a problem until now.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings up a good point. I wonder what the USPS's policy is on them? At least they should be consistent across the USA. Anyone in the US know what the USPS's policy is? If anyone is going into the P Off tomorrow could they ask?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B4Rice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem but I have heard of people who have. WHat most people don't seem to know is that there are actually two versions of the Canadian postal money order. The regular one is an orangy color and can be made out in Canadian or US funds and the other (I think it's green or blue) that is the INTERNATIONAL version (also available in Canadian or US funds) that is more likely to be accepted at your financial institute. If you are an American selling to a Canadian you should always specify (or insist) that the buyer gets the international money order just to save yourself a little grief.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that works both ways, you need to specify that they get an international money order! We sell to lots of Americans, and cash the money orders at both the bank (never a problem), and at our local post office (sometimes they beg off of doing it for larger amounts, they whine about not getting paid enough for it! Like I give a crap!) If I was to push though, I believe any post office is obligated to cash them, but we use them a lot, and it's not a big deal to wait 'til we go to the bank anyways. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is not a discussion about US postal MOs, lets keep it on Canada Post MOs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: