Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The only 2 Beetles sold in the US in 1949
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: The only 2 Beetles sold in the US in 1949 Reply with quote

can anyone tell me the names of the purchasers of the only two beetles sold in the US in 1949?

thanks.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading in an early 90's Hot VW's that General Motors had a 46 beeetle that they had supposedly bought new. The article stated that they did not actually know if they originally purchased the car or why, but it was beleived to be owned by GM!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Ed and Steve.

Wink

last names?

i'll tell you why. i had a garage sale on saturday. this guy sees my beetle in the garage and proceeds to tell me "....you know in 1949, they only sold 2 volkswagens in the US....and my grandfather was one of the buyers"

i asked what his grandfather's last name was. he told me it was "Hitchman". i wanna ask him for pictures when i see him again and of course will post them up. it's cool either way if he has pictures. i'm pretty sure he was frontin'. but who knows.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: the only 2 Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
can anyone tell me the names of the purchasers of the only two beetles sold in the US in 1949?

thanks.

try contacting stock steve on here. he is from conn. and i am pretty sure he has this info.

Last edited by tubdub on Mon May 07, 2007 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erioco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: 49 buyers Reply with quote

Ask the Pon VW dealership in the Netherlands, It was Ben Pon who sold them. As far as I remember the info they were sold in New York, quite cheaply, to cover his hotel bill, though Simon Parkinson's book he says 1948 and one car,
. Pon was trying to set up a US dealership. That finally happened in 1950 with Hoffman in NY

I'll check my other books and see what they say.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it certainly is possible that this guys grampa is one of the OG 2 being so close to NYC and all. i think he was talking smack. if his story is true, it would be awesome to get a hold of some photos. i'm sure they must have taken pictures of the car. either way, i wanna see some photos of their old beetle.

thanks and let us know what you find out.

Quote:
Quote:
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: the only 2 Reply with quote

tubdub wrote:
UZI wrote:

thanks.

try contacting stock steve on here. he is from conn. and i am pretty sure he has this info.

Sorry, don't have the slightest idea.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding of the history, Ben Pon brought over the first Beetle early in '49. There's a famous picture of the car being unloaded at the dock with Dutch license plates and one of the first sets of grooved bumpers. This was the car Pon had to sell to pay for his hotel bill.

The second car was brought over later in '49 by Nordhoff himself and was featured in a Made in Germany trade show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think that if the cars survived, they would surface given the shrinking of the global VW community due to the internet. It would be cool though.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw57drvr wrote:
You would think that if the cars survived, they would surface given the shrinking of the global VW community due to the internet. It would be cool though.

a person who claims to be the grandson of one of the supposed original purchasers/owners came to my garage sale....you just never know.

Quote:
Quote:
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bringing up an older topic, but does anyone know which month in 49 these beetles were brought here?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Pon car was brought over early in the year, and the trade show was in the summer or autumn.

Honestly, these were two cars sold in the largest metropolitan city in the world at that time, the same year nearly a million new cars were registered in the U.S. The odds of finding specific information on either of them is slim.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the car was unloaded in Jan 49. That would make the car likely a 48 Beetle.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i ran into this guy that told me the story at my garage sale. i said "hey, aren't you the guy i was talking to about VWs at my garage sale? your grandfather owned one?" he told me that he wasn't sure if it was the first year but was definately the second year because the car was a 51. Rolling Eyes i told him i love vintage photos, gimme a call if you can find some of the car. he's changed his story so we'll see. i'd still love to see the photos.

Quote:
Quote:
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all heard stories like this. I talked to a guy who said he travelled to New York to buy one of Max Hoffman's first vans, and had one of the first Type 2s in the Northeast. He said they couldn't use it to make deliveries to any of the auto plants because the union boys would destroy it.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the final VVWCA Spring Meet held at the old World-Wide VW distributorship in Orangeburg, NY (1994?), a young man (early 20s) asked me if his blue '48 project with red wheels could've been painted that way at the factory.

In hindsight, since both the US and Dutch flags are red, white and blue, it wouldn't surprise me if Ben Pon had the '48 painted those colors as a marketing gimmick to promote the VW in the States and that kid's car is the real thing--it's just that everyone's been looking for two '49s over the years and not a '48 until Etzold (?) published the chassis number for this car.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the Pon car had chromed grooved bumpers, which is interesting, considering the car landed in the U.S. in January but the bumpers didn't become standard until June. This could be explained by the factory using up four months of existing bumper stocks which is not so unusual in the early days.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janerick, I was also at the last WW meet; it was '95. You spelled Mr. Etzold's name correctly (Hans-Ruediger...). Smile

Stories? Yeah. Good family friend has a '49 Beetle at his VW dealership; I asked if it happened to be "one of the first two official '49's" and he thought "yes".

2 years ago at a party in NW CT, a neighbor of the host told me he bought a split window Beetle, "the first year they were brought in". Turns out it was a '51, the first one sold thru the new local VW dealership New Milford Motors. He was vague on the details though. But that dealer is still around, and has always remained a single-brand dealer. It really did open around then.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to have a "Final VVWCA Spring Meet Reunion" some time. Nice to see you are still kicking around out there, Jan!

Steve M.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksWoute®
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You guys ment this pic? I got it out of the archives of a Dutch paper called "De Telegraaf".

Pon , has got no documentation left about the history. They donated the complete archive to LVWCN (translation: Aircooled VW Club of The Netherlands a couple of years back. I know this archive has got documents of all the cars sold thru Pon. Those documents were stored by chassisnumber and were written and kept from 1952 till 1965 .

Here`s an example of my 58 DD
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7513/3887631024x688ym6.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: