Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The only 2 Beetles sold in the US in 1949
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KdF1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: 1950 Reply with quote

My friend Rich owns one of the Original 1950 VW's that got sold in the USA by Ben Pon. It has a crayon marking in the trunk that says "USA" so I guess the assembly line workrs would not put a KM speedo and fluted headlights into it. He restored the car and left the original crayon marks there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Reply with quote

KdF1 wrote:
My friend Rich owns one of the Original 1950 VW's that got sold in the USA by Ben Pon. It has a crayon marking in the trunk that says "USA" so I guess the assembly line workrs would not put a KM speedo and fluted headlights into it. He restored the car and left the original crayon marks there.

And he can document this how?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at Ben Pon's winery in Carmel Valley. He (his son) also owns the Quail Lodge where a wonderful concours is held the Friday before the Pebble Beach event every year.

http://www.bernardus.com/bw/biographies/bw5a.html
KdF1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW birth certificate says so. Completely original car that was unmolested and unchanged. It did need to be restored though which he did after buying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KdF1 wrote:
VW birth certificate says so. Completely original car that was unmolested and unchanged. It did need to be restored though which he did after buying it.

What does the birth certificate say?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were are the USA marks located in the trunk? I have a og 50 thats still in its og state.
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Pon or Hoffman Reply with quote

Do you mean Pon or Hoffman?

Mike

KdF1 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it on some cars, written on the paint between the tank and the dash; under the front trunk lid.

Mike

[email protected] wrote:
Were are the USA marks located in the trunk? I have a og 50 thats still in its og state.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pon or Hoffman Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Do you mean Pon or Hoffman?

Mike

KdF1 wrote:

He must mean Max Hoffman as Ben Pon didnt sell any VW's in the USA in 1950.... Ben Pon arrived in New York with one display model, a 1948 VW Beetle aboard the M/S Westerdam on January 17th, 1949. Pon stayed in New York for 3 weeks.. couldnt get a single person interested in the car and sold it and a load of parts (for 800.00) to pay for his Hotel Bill. He imported and sucessfully sold two 1949 Sedans in '49. The famous picture of the Sedan in the cargo net is from the publicity stunt staged by Pon on the docks in Jan 1949.

Max Hoffman Took over at that point and created his "patchwork" distributorship. (appointed officially in Jan 1950) Max Hoffman managed to sell 330 in 1950.

My car also has the Yellow Grease pencil USA in the front as well as a listing in yellow grease pencil of the M codes the car came with.. all legible. Its a July 1952 Car.. so having greas-pencil marks doesnt mean much... heck.. even my 55 3-fold has a grease-pencil USA on it.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veerrrry interestingk! Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '53 had "Kanada" written in yellow grease pencil on the spare tire well wall under the tag.
KdF1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant Hoffman. The car came through N.Y.C.
The "USA" was in yellow grease pencil and below the ID tag just as the "KANADA" one was.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KdF1 wrote:
Yes, I meant Hoffman. The car came through N.Y.C.
The "USA" was in yellow grease pencil and below the ID tag just as the "KANADA" one was.

I thought as much.. my friend owns a Hoffman car too.. Oh wait.. No... thats Me..... Im my own best friend...

Wiggy... when do we get to see the first draft of the Hoffman Registry.. Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
stu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The only 2 Beetles sold in the US in 1949 Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
can anyone tell me the names of the purchasers of the only two beetles sold in the US in 1949?

thanks.

Mr A Hitler
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, adolf never bought a car in his life, couldn't even drive. He did have a factory built though Twisted Evil
erioco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Pon/49 Reply with quote

52 Hoffmann Split,

So I was both right and wrong. Where did you get the info on the date etc on Pon's first shipmwnt and the info on the second?

Info in Dutch is OK, am a Dutchman.
you can put it here or email me : [email protected]
Thanks, Eric
orrcj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The only 2 Beetles sold in the US in 1949 Reply with quote

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Untitled by C Orr, on Flickr[/img]

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but here's a pic of those '51 beetles, sitting out front of the New Milford Motors dealership.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Janerick, I was also at the last WW meet; it was '95. You spelled Mr. Etzold's name correctly (Hans-Ruediger...). Smile

Stories? Yeah. Good family friend has a '49 Beetle at his VW dealership; I asked if it happened to be "one of the first two official '49's" and he thought "yes".

2 years ago at a party in NW CT, a neighbor of the host told me he bought a split window Beetle, "the first year they were brought in". Turns out it was a '51, the first one sold thru the new local VW dealership New Milford Motors. He was vague on the details though. But that dealer is still around, and has always remained a single-brand dealer. It really did open around then.

we used to go to the Orangeburg show, put on by Terry Shuler and the VVWCA - I made the dash plaque in 1991...

… and in 1980-ish that first VW dealer in Connecticut, in 1955, I think, at New Milford had a sale of very old VW stock -I worked at Volvo Cars of North America then and a Conn. Volvo dealer told me about the old-VW parts sale - I bought brand new ribbed Bus bumpers for $5 each and other old goodies too - we moved to Oklahoma in 1993.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: