Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle ID by numbers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardrocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Did you look at the list of trans numbers in the link in the second post of this topic?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2207973#2207973

I have looked at this link and don't find any reference to transmission or transaxle numbers. I have a transmission that is stamped 1086828 and am trying to determine its year of manufacture.
Hardrocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Did you look at the list of trans numbers in the link in the second post of this topic?

Axle numbers?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Hardrocker wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Axle numbers?

Yes (after all, bug trans is actually a trans-axle).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghoster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

I hate to be that guy, but well, I am usually that guy. For a few years I have been working on a 1972 beetle. Didn’t run when I got it, but was a good starter project. Anyway, I have reached the transaxle. The guy I bought it from had a second transaxle. He said he had stripped some parts out of a 69. Anyway, trying to figure out if the one I pulled out of the car is original ( or possibly original based on build date), and what the second transaxle even is. I trued using the charts, but didn’t see any matches for sure. I figure it is better to get good guidance than just guess.🤷🏻‍♂️ Any help in identifying these is greatly appreciated!!!

Part# 113 301 103 J
Serial# AH4372310

And

Part# 113 301 103 D
Serial# 9903471

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate RS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

The one starting with 99 would be from the late ‘60’s timeframe. The other one later but no clue when. I have a pair of ‘67 trannys starting with 986 and 987 , both from cars built in December ‘66. 99xxxxx would only be 100000 or so later. At the rate these were built I can’t believe yours came long after them.
Ghoster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Nate RS wrote:
The one starting with 99 would be from the late ‘60’s timeframe. The other one later but no clue when. I have a pair of ‘67 trannys starting with 986 and 987 , both from cars built in December ‘66. 99xxxxx would only be 100000 or so later. At the rate these were built I can’t believe yours came long after them.

Thanks!!

Now another question has come up. Got my transaxle mostly cleaned up. 4lbs or tar came off of it. The nose cone doesn’t appear to be a 1972 original. At least it doesn’t look like the pictures I have found. It has 2 electrical sensors/switches on it. One is the reverse light trigger. I have no clue what the other one is. It is on the side of the nose cone opposite from the light switch. It has a single spade electrical connection. Nothing was plugged in to it when I removed the transaxle.

Any ideas?

Nate RS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

The likely candidates are reverse and neutral safety (for starting).
Ghoster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Nate RS wrote:
The likely candidates are reverse and neutral safety (for starting).

Thats what I thought. It even seems to momentarily trigger in neutral. The 2 problems I have is that all the neutral safety switches I see have 3 terminals, not one, and I can’t find any reference to a manual transmission ever having a neutral safety switch. Is it possible that this is a nose cone for an auto stick?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

The 3 terminal switches are from an Autostick trans. Your nose cone is for a manual trans. The nose cone for an autostick is different and does not work on a 4 speed.
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Number 8721009 , would that be 1966 1300 beetle box? And if it is would it ‘fit’ into 56 oval beetle with standard 1600cc case? Thanks in advance
mrmeharry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

I need to Id this tranny on a buggy project I just got

H

AB 13 03 3

Appreciate it
DennisD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ID by numbers? Reply with quote

Good Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a transaxle ID Chart. I have been referred to two placed (outside of here) and they both have resulted in two different answers.

The closest "guess" was by my local VW transaxle builder. He thinks it is late 60's / early 70's.

It is an IRS style Transaxle.

Here is a link to my listing.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/347946217640729

I am selling it because I no longer have the project.

My Numbers are : AO927118

There is no T/O bearing sleeve mounted on the input shaft cover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dennis D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: