Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

David Payne - david9 - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: david9
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Yesterday
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: David Payne - david9 - [email protected] Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=david9

Also uses
wlfsbrgkid
[email protected]

I contacted David because he had a early '64 Panel for sale in the classifieds. He told me, as was stated in his ad, that it was 99% complete. Of course, I didn't realize what all was missing until it arrived on the transport.

I specifically asked him about key parts which he told me were there. I asked him if it had the proper 15" wheels to which he said it did. I asked him to tell me what exactly was missing since he stated it was 99% complete. He stated he could find nothing missing. Here is a short list of what is missing:

keys
tag light assembly
master cylinder cover for floorboard
spare wheel
spare tire nut
one of the supposed 15" bus rims that I was told was there (the one on the driver's rear is a bug wheel)
the front emblem
splash pan
correct windshield wiper arms
pass. mirror
interior light lense
turn signal assembly
paperwork to title it (as was promised)

I also asked him about rust, which he stated there was no rust through in the drip edge. There is rust through in the drip edge as well as one of the outriggers, lower inner nose frame and above the cargo doors (he stated the rust was only on the outside lower panels). He also stated the deck lid has a "small spot of rust". The deck lid is a complete loss.

I contacted David about these problems several times and included pictures. His only response was to try to sell it to someone else. He has now refused to answer my emails and has pulled all of his classified ads on the Samba. I will post pics in my next posting.

I will give David another opportunity to make this right before I involve other parties to deal with it.

Everett: David deleted all of his classified ads. If it is possible, I would really like a copy of the ad he placed for this bus. I don't know if you would still have it in your server or not. Thanks

Last edited by Vdubz Custom Trikes on Mon May 07, 2007 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#15-16 depicts the inner nose frame rust
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#21 depicts the outrigger rust

#28 depicts the junk that he left in it

#29 depicts the upper cargo area that is rusted through

#30-32 depicts the rain gutter rusted through

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#33-37 depicts what David represented to be a small spot of rust and missing light assembly

#38 depicts the missing spare

#39 depicts the missing m/c cover

#40 depicts the bug wheel instead of bus wheel
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the text from the original ad. Thanks Everett!!

Early 64 Panel Price: Pending
Back on the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an early 64 panel bus that I am selling here. It still has the
ice pick style door handles on it. The bus is in pretty good shape for
sitting in this guys yard for 29 years. Frame is solid, Outrigers are
solid, Jackpoints are solid. It needs the rocker underneath the cargo
door repalced and it has a few holes in the front floor and will need a
little repair on the drivers side rocker as well. This bus is pretty
much 99% complete bumper to bumper. It will also include the original
panel divider with its original Sekurit glass in it. The bus is a once
repaint due to a slight hit in the front 30 years ago. It had a slight
tap I was told and was just skim coated and repainted back to its
original color. The reason it stopped running I was told was that the
motor just didnt start one day so it was parked and forgot about untill
I came along and purchased it off of the guy. It is deff a cool bus and
could be a pretty bad ass bus with a little work done to it. Fix the
rust and repaint or slam it and drive it as is. Please let me know if
you have any questions and I will try and answer them to the best of my
ability. I will also include all the paperwork and current registration
so you can get a title in you state for this bus.

Thanks, David
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was able to contact David via telephone last night. He told me he had been out of town and had not received the multiple emails I had sent him. I explained that I had made a post on the Samba due to his failure to answer my emails. He stated he would contact me this morning so we could try to work these things out. I have made multiple attempts to contact him by phone today with no answer. This is the email I received last night:

Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:04:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Ashley Denton" View Contact Details Add Mobile Alert
Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
Subject: Re: 1964 Panel Bus
To: "Vdubz Custom Trikes" <[email protected]>
I wish that you would of waited before posting a topic about this in the forum. If you could of waited on the issue untill I returned or at least would of called me since you have my # ,before today then it might have been a little eaisier to work something out with me. Now I need to figure out how I am going to approach this and I will let you know.

Thanks, David

Here is my response to the email:

Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:52:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Vdubz Custom Trikes" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Re: 1964 Panel Bus
To: "Ashley Denton"
I'm not sure why my posting would make it more difficult for things to be worked out. I had no way of knowing that you were out of town. All I knew was that I had seen you on the Samba after my emails were sent. I would hope you approach this in an ethical manner so that you can preserve your reputation and there is no need for legal channels to be exercised. I hope all of this was an honest mistake. If it was, then I have faith you will make it right without any difficulties. Thanks, Ki

Since I have not been able to make contact with David, then I will give him through the weekend to contact me and for us to come to some type of conclusion on this matter.

David, I sent you payment via USPS Money Order across STATE LINES for payment. If you have not committed some type of fraud concerning this vehicle (just an honest mistake), then I have to assume you want to rectify this as quickly as possible. Please do not force me to contact the US Postal Inspector or other federal agencies that would qualify to handle interstate fraud.
RagsnBags65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: David Payne Reply with quote

(This is what he wrote above)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I specifically asked him about key parts which he told me were there. I asked him if it had the proper 15" wheels to which he said it did. I asked him to tell me what exactly was missing since he stated it was 99% complete. He stated he could find nothing missing. Here is a short list of what is missing:

keys
tag light assembly
master cylinder cover for floorboard
spare wheel
spare tire nut
one of the supposed 15" bus rims that I was told was there (the one on the driver's rear is a bug wheel)
the front emblem
splash pan
correct windshield wiper arms
pass. mirror
interior light lense
turn signal assembly
paperwork to title it (as was promised)

I also asked him about rust, which he stated there was no rust through in the drip edge. There is rust through in the drip edge as well as one of the outriggers, lower inner nose frame and above the cargo doors (he stated the rust was only on the outside lower panels). He also stated the deck lid has a "small spot of rust". The deck lid is a complete loss.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the deal..... I told Ki about all of the rust. Yes, I know that my ad stated that it did not have rust in the outrigers. Well when him and I talked on the phone I told him that the entire bottom 6 to 8 inches of the bus had rust in it. I told him that it would need rockers on both sides, rear corners, both doglegs, and the inner and outer lower nose,( which he calls the frame) The frame has no rust! My ad said that it did not have any rust in the outrigers, it does have rust in the front outrigers in which I told him about over the phone. You see, anyone that had intrest in this bus I had told to call me so I could explane the bus in full detail to them, this is also the reason why this bus had been up for sale for such a long time due to the fact that I told everyone what was up with it. I dont want to send a bus across the country and then it get to the buyer and this crap happens. He was so excited on the phone about the bus that apparently he lost track of all that we talked about, ( I need to put a damn recorder on my phone because this is the 2nd time that this has happened to me) As for the gutter rust, I told him that there was no holes thru the roof in the rain gutter which I did not see. I did not know that little bit in the drip edge was gonna be such an issue. I told him everything that he asked me about which is what I do with all my customers and I have never had an issue yet after selling about 20 cars. I have always told the person on the phone and kept great contact so they knew exactly what they where buying. Now Ki tells me that we never discussed any of this on the phone which is not true. He keeps telling me, (well the ad states this and the ad states that you must be thinking about another bus). I specificly rem talking to him about this bus and everything that I talked to him about it.

As on for the bus being 99% complete.... If you reread the ad you will see that it states,(pretty much 99% complete) Now since you got down to the nitty gritty with some nuts and bolts that were missing I feel that I have the right to do the same. Now lets all put a bus into perspective, if you totally disassemble a bus all the way down to its nuts and bolts, washers, glass, lines, wires, screws, seals, everything. Lets just say that you have ruffly around 1000 parts, well if you were to take 10 parts of that away now that would be 1% which leaves a pretty much 99% complete bus left.

Parts list.... He asked if it had windsheild wipers on it which I said that it did, I did not know that they were not correct for a 1964 panel, he just asked if there were some there.

Front emblem..... there was not an emblem in any of the picts on the bus or sitting in the bus so you would think that it would not come with one then right, (he never asked if it had one either)

Spare Tire.... Come on man!

Spare Tire Nut..... Are you Serious!!!!!

Keys.... Never had any and was never stated that any where there or came with it

These items I feel are very petty. If he is so thurough in his little parts then he should have been a little more thurough in asking questions about the bus when we were on the phone and also should of asked for alot more pictures of the bus since I have a camera and can and always say I can take pictures of whatever you want, he never asked for either. He was so caught up on the bus when we were on the phone that it looks to me as he totally forgot all of our conversation.

All in all I feel that this was not my fault, I told him everything that he asked me about the bus in full. Anyone that knows me or has bought a car off of me knows that I am a straight foward guy will tell you all that I know or to the best of my ability about a car that you are interested in. I am no purist and I dont know everything about these cars other than what I see is there and I tell you about that.

If you want the parts then like I said I will try and help you out on that but like I stated earlier, I feel that the bus is pretty much 99% complete! You put the parts into fine detail so I put the bus into fine detal, hopefully since you stated it this way this will give you a better understanding of what a complete bus consists of.

BTW, he only paid $1,250 for the bus which I think was a hell of a deal.
cridder131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Are you for real??? Reply with quote

I've dealt with David on more than one occassion and everytime he has been very fair. Have you ever built a vehicle before? Do you understand the concept of almost complete? It doesn't usually mean that it will come with every single thing incuding a spare tire nut. It will need some work to be as complete as it was from the factory. If David's response was true about telling you about the rust and everything you asked about then it's on you. If you expect to get a perfect rust free bus for 1,250 from the east coast then you might want to look into a nice and shiny baywindow. I am in agreement that if he says it has bus wheels and one is wrong that you should get a matching wheel, but if you didn't ask about a spare then it falls in the almost complete category. However, reading his ad, reading your complaint, and then reading his response and having dealt with him before it is my oppinion that you should apologize for the slander work out a deal with the wheel and next time ask better questions.
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the panel you bought was a pile of junk!! Thats why it was advertised for so long. I think I would have asked for better pics.
Sorry you got jerk on the deal. I think you did the best thing by listing neg feedback. I know in the past David has left neg feedback on other cars so why he gets mad at for you doing it is strange to me..
Someone told me once before that Davids going to have a bad dealing one day I guess this might be the one...Good luck..

Note: You are right he did delete all his adds..Kinda odd.. He does have two vw listed though.
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Are you for real??? Reply with quote

cridder131 wrote:
I've dealt with David on more than one occassion and everytime he has been very fair. Have you ever built a vehicle before? Do you understand the concept of almost complete? It doesn't usually mean that it will come with every single thing incuding a spare tire nut. It will need some work to be as complete as it was from the factory. If David's response was true about telling you about the rust and everything you asked about then it's on you. If you expect to get a perfect rust free bus for 1,250 from the east coast then you might want to look into a nice and shiny baywindow. I am in agreement that if he says it has bus wheels and one is wrong that you should get a matching wheel, but if you didn't ask about a spare then it falls in the almost complete category. However, reading his ad, reading your complaint, and then reading his response and having dealt with him before it is my oppinion that you should apologize for the slander work out a deal with the wheel and next time ask better questions.

Yes, I do understand the term (and concept) of almost complete. I also understand the terms used in his ad that describe the rust. However, I did NOT expect to find rust in the places he told me there was no rust. The question I asked him over the phone was "What all is missing since you state in your ad it is 99% complete?" He walked around the bus and was unable to tell me anything that was missing. I took less than 3 minutes to walk around it and make the list I did. There are, of course, other things missing.

Edit: I noticed that you have four posts since becoming a member. Three of these posts are defending David. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going on here.

Last edited by Vdubz Custom Trikes on Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: David Payne Reply with quote

RagsnBags65 wrote:

Here is the deal..... I told Ki about all of the rust. Yes, I know that my ad stated that it did not have rust in the outrigers. Well when him and I talked on the phone I told him that the entire bottom 6 to 8 inches of the bus had rust in it. I told him that it would need rockers on both sides, rear corners, both doglegs, and the inner and outer lower nose,( which he calls the frame) The frame has no rust! My ad said that it did not have any rust in the outrigers, it does have rust in the front outrigers in which I told him about over the phone. You see, anyone that had intrest in this bus I had told to call me so I could explane the bus in full detail to them, this is also the reason why this bus had been up for sale for such a long time due to the fact that I told everyone what was up with it. I dont want to send a bus across the country and then it get to the buyer and this crap happens. He was so excited on the phone about the bus that apparently he lost track of all that we talked about, ( I need to put a damn recorder on my phone because this is the 2nd time that this has happened to me) As for the gutter rust, I told him that there was no holes thru the roof in the rain gutter which I did not see. I did not know that little bit in the drip edge was gonna be such an issue. I told him everything that he asked me about which is what I do with all my customers and I have never had an issue yet after selling about 20 cars. I have always told the person on the phone and kept great contact so they knew exactly what they where buying. Now Ki tells me that we never discussed any of this on the phone which is not true. He keeps telling me, (well the ad states this and the ad states that you must be thinking about another bus). I specificly rem talking to him about this bus and everything that I talked to him about it.

As on for the bus being 99% complete.... If you reread the ad you will see that it states,(pretty much 99% complete) Now since you got down to the nitty gritty with some nuts and bolts that were missing I feel that I have the right to do the same. Now lets all put a bus into perspective, if you totally disassemble a bus all the way down to its nuts and bolts, washers, glass, lines, wires, screws, seals, everything. Lets just say that you have ruffly around 1000 parts, well if you were to take 10 parts of that away now that would be 1% which leaves a pretty much 99% complete bus left.

Parts list.... He asked if it had windsheild wipers on it which I said that it did, I did not know that they were not correct for a 1964 panel, he just asked if there were some there.

Front emblem..... there was not an emblem in any of the picts on the bus or sitting in the bus so you would think that it would not come with one then right, (he never asked if it had one either)

Spare Tire.... Come on man!

Spare Tire Nut..... Are you Serious!!!!!

Keys.... Never had any and was never stated that any where there or came with it

These items I feel are very petty. If he is so thurough in his little parts then he should have been a little more thurough in asking questions about the bus when we were on the phone and also should of asked for alot more pictures of the bus since I have a camera and can and always say I can take pictures of whatever you want, he never asked for either. He was so caught up on the bus when we were on the phone that it looks to me as he totally forgot all of our conversation.

All in all I feel that this was not my fault, I told him everything that he asked me about the bus in full. Anyone that knows me or has bought a car off of me knows that I am a straight foward guy will tell you all that I know or to the best of my ability about a car that you are interested in. I am no purist and I dont know everything about these cars other than what I see is there and I tell you about that.

If you want the parts then like I said I will try and help you out on that but like I stated earlier, I feel that the bus is pretty much 99% complete! You put the parts into fine detail so I put the bus into fine detal, hopefully since you stated it this way this will give you a better understanding of what a complete bus consists of.

BTW, he only paid $1,250 for the bus which I think was a hell of a deal.

Your comments about a complete bus are laughable at best. Nobody would expect every nut and bolt to be there. However, they would expect key items to be there when it is described as 99% complete.

It seems to me that you are not going to deal with this problem. It seems to me that you are only interested in pointing fingers in another direction. The statements you have made on this forum and in emails, in conjunction with the ad, show fraud in my opinion. You misrepresented this vehicle in several different ways. I have given you til the end of the weekend to make it right. I stand by that.

I am no longer interested in this vehicle. It is based upon the misrepresentation on the completeness of the vehicle and the additional rust that I found that is in contradiction with your ad. Let me know how you want to make this right. Easy way or hard way. I prefer the easy way myself. Saves me time and you money.
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never understood why people buy vehicles sight unseen and then have them shipped across the country.
'64 Kombi
'62 Beetle
'61 Standard Bus, Mango
RagsnBags65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that was not on the bus that I said was there was that bus rim. Now, I will send you the bus rim due to the fact that I said that it was there and it apparently was not. On the rest of the items, those were never discussed and fall under that 1% of the bus that I stated in the add were not there. If you can deal with this then I will send it and we will have a done deal and I will not take this any further than it has to go Mr Ki Harrington!!
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagsnBags65 wrote:
The only thing that was not on the bus that I said was there was that bus rim. Now, I will send you the bus rim due to the fact that I said that it was there and it apparently was not. On the rest of the items, those were never discussed and fall under that 1% of the bus that I stated in the add were not there. If you can deal with this then I will send it and we will have a done deal and I will not take this any further than it has to go Mr Ki Harrington!!

I will pass on your offer and will go through other channels.
RagsnBags65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vdubz Custom Trikes wrote:
RagsnBags65 wrote:

See, you dont even want to work with me on this. You want me to send you every single piece to a bus that was listed as an almost 99% complete bus.

Alright alright, I will throw in the front splash pan too since I just found one today.
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagsnBags65 wrote:
RagsnBags65 wrote:

See, you dont even want to work with me on this. You want me to send you every single piece to a bus that was listed as an almost 99% complete bus.

Alright alright, I will throw in the front splash pan too since I just found one today.

I am completely willing to work with you on this. However, you have yet to address the rust that is on the vehicle that your ad, and you, states is not there. I am not going to play nickle-ante games with you. You know the correct thing to do. I am only trying to give you the opportunity to do it before we have to do things the hard way.
RagsnBags65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagsnBags65 wrote:
RagsnBags65 wrote:

I am completely willing to work with you on this. However, you have yet to address the rust that is on the vehicle that your ad, and you, states is not there. I am not going to play nickle-ante games with you. You know the correct thing to do. I am only trying to give you the opportunity to do it before we have to do things the hard way.

I guess my discription on the phone was not clear enough.. I told you that the complete bottom 6 to 8 inches of the bus had rust all in it, apparently you were expecting a complete rust free bus for $1,250.00. Yes, I know my ad said that the outrigers had no rust in it but all in all if that is the only thing that was incorrect then you have pretty much nothing to bitch about because I told this all to you over the phone, plane and simple. You said that is I just send you the parts then you will be happy. Well send me your address and I will have that out your way. You said that this would make you happy well heres your chance.
Vdubz Custom Trikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagsnBags65 wrote:
RagsnBags65 wrote:
RagsnBags65 wrote:

I guess my discription on the phone was not clear enough.. I told you that the complete bottom 6 to 8 inches of the bus had rust all in it, apparently you were expecting a complete rust free bus for $1,250.00. Yes, I know my ad said that the outrigers had no rust in it but all in all if that is the only thing that was incorrect then you have pretty much nothing to bitch about because I told this all to you over the phone, plane and simple. You said that is I just send you the parts then you will be happy. Well send me your address and I will have that out your way. You said that this would make you happy well heres your chance.

I guess you are forgetting about the drip rail that was supposed to have no rust. Tell me, what are you going to do about the outrigger and the drip rail and the area above the cargo doors and the other rust that is there that wasn't supposed to be? How about the deck lid that was supposed to have a "small" spot of rust which is a total loss? I wasn't expecting a rust-free bus David, only that there wouldn't be rust in the areas that you told me there was no rust.
lurkinstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vdubz,
I was checking another seller out when I saw this thread. I have dealt with David a few times and he has always been totally up front and honest to deal with. I know it does'nt help alot on this deal, but next time require mucho pictures. Especially if you are buying long distance.
Who know how long you were looking for a bus to buy? I would think that if you look in the classifieds right now you will find a bunch of comparable buses in the $1000.00 to $1500.00 range. Hate to tell you but: That's about all your $1250.00 will buy in a mid 60's bus these days!
Nothing but basketcases, or ones that need alot of work. Should of been around a few years back. Wink
59 single cab
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the bus needs the bottom six inches, i think it should be stated in the ad, unless of course you can see it in the pictures. it takes some, but just the most minute amount of experience to see that if a bus is scaley on the outside, it's bound to be nasty underneath. by the time someone makes the call, they are about 90% likely to pull the trigger on the deal. david probably told you alot of this and your mind may have been elsewhere, like not listening to his answer while you were thinking about your next question.

triker dude made a mistake for not going to look at the bus. i think the selling price was cheap enough. like david said, if you're not happy, pass it on. there is a ton of stuff in OK, cheap too.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have dealt with David for years and he has always been a stand up person and never misrepresented anything I have bought from him. I bought a ghia and he did everything he promised he would in that deal as he always has. The bottom line is what do you want David to do???? from my dealings with him and others I have talked to he has always gone above and beyond to make a deal go smooth. The bus is old and will have rust especially coming from the east coast. as far as the 99% complete goes I agree with the others that you cant use a spare wheel or nut to make an argument with. I have a few of these parts your missing and would be glad to send them to you just to help David out if thats what would help. I know how David is and he will send you these parts if that would make you happy because thats the kind of person he is. anyway email me if you want and I will give you a few of these parts to help out.

Tim Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: