Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

mrkrause wrote:

Looking in I could see why the fuel gauge wasn’t working. The cable wasn’t hooked up to the arm and the cable housing wasn’t sitting in its “holder”. From inside the car I was able to reach under the dash, over the tank and blindly put the cable ball on the float arm and set the cable housing on the housing holder. Bam ! Fuel gauge worked !

Took off down the street and the gauge dropped to empty. Pulled over, looked inside the hood fuel cap and the cable housing was out of the holder.

After reading all 5 pages of this post, I realized that a “cap” was supposed to sit over the float assembly, thus locking the cable in its holder. Duh !!

Not exactly the sort of response I'd have expected to get in this thread, otherwise maybe I'd have been more explicit as to how the various parts needed to fit together! Still, glad you figured it out and hope you get it sorted out. Very Happy

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrkrause
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Andy,
I’m better informed now so when....not if....I have to change a float.....I’ve learned a lot!

Thanks to all for taking the time to share your.....”experiences”.😩

Ken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrkrause
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Andy,
I “accidentally” bought one of the white plastic senders. They actually call it the “econo” model. That should have been my first clue. First issue I had was that there wasn’t a seat area for the gauge cable to lock in place once the sender cap was snapped on. I didn’t see anyone mention this in this whole thread.
I’m gonna order one from WW. It sounds like it has the most success out this thread.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Just make sure the float is installed the correct way, as I documented previously in this thread.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
mrkrause
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Yes, i definitely will.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, if you install that sending unit from WW as they deliver it, it WILL impact your tank's filter "sock". If you're missing that piece though... or if it just smacked it and broke it off, then it probably would work. I guess it depends if you care about that or not.

TheSamba to the rescue again! I just encountered this same problem with the WW sender, in a '64 Ghia. Flipped the float around this morning and it is working much better now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JULIANROBINSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

After reading this thread and others.. I plumped for a WW Fuel sender..

Anyone else had this issue?

Its baggy!

https://www.facebook.com/735665669/videos/a.10157328915600670/10157551993975670

No way in the world that can be accurate in any way..

Apparently others at the suppliers are the same..

https://www.facebook.com/735665669/videos/a.10157328915600670/10157551993975670
McGuirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Looks like WW changed their supplier. The one I and others got from them back when this thread was new (2013!) was the magura style, not the VDO style with the rubber boot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
JULIANROBINSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Ah. so it is.. I hadn't twigged it was different...

I will return it.

Thank you for your input
Sjstretch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

So my 1964 mechanical VDO sending unit rubber has finally cracked. So now I need a replacement.

Is the WW unit still the best option? Or does anyone know of a better one to purchase?

Thank you for the help
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

@glutamodo or anyone else who has played with both.

Would you recommend a new WW sending unit or tracking down an original Magura? Any advantage to the hunt assuming i do not care about reproduction parts and will flip the float on the WW unit.

Thank you.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

My experiences and conclusions are clearly posted above. However, since I stopped driving my 62 several years ago when the transaxle died on me, I have had no need to do any further experimentation with this sort of thing. I do not know if WW has changed their sending units at all, but I still stand my conclusion that once I flipped the float on their sending unit, it was the best whatever passed as "good" at that time.

Those old magura tank units are pretty good, as long as you go in and replace the O-ring. I talk about how incredibly difficult I found installing a Teflon O-ring on there but once I did I found it to work fine. I think lesser but more pliable rubber compound O-rings might do equally as well with less hassle.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I stopped driving my 62 several years ago when the transaxle died on me,

What? Do we need to do an intervention? Shocked
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Ah, That. That's an off-topic comment, which is why I haven't answered in kind... but I'll do so now.

A number of things conspired together.

I did spend a hefty amount of dollars to get a rebuilt transaxle (I'm still pissed off that the one in there lost 4th Gear, rebuilt from a company that, at that time prided themselves on building transaxles that "NEVER FAIL" that way. Guess What? Mine Failed!)

Anyway, I spent a lot of money on another tranny because I wanted to switch to a 4.125 final drive and I had no core for that.

I got it though, spent a lot of time on installation to make sure the damn side covers would not leak. (this is such a common issue that I know full well you need to do this) and it was all for nothing, one test drive and it leaked badly. Also my engine rear main seal was leaking some, but that's another story. In any case it all has to come apart again and I just didn't want to do it at that time, so I left it parked. A few months later, one day, I found a puddle of fuel under the car, turns out the fuel pump went bad just sitting there. I changed that out. But then my decklid welds busted around the spring mount... Just one thing after another and I didn't even list them all. So I rather gave up and it's a dust collector in my carport now.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Ah, That. That's an off-topic comment, which is why I haven't answered in kind... but I'll do so now.

A number of things conspired together.

I did spend a hefty amount of dollars to get a rebuilt transaxle (I'm still pissed off that the one in there lost 4th Gear, rebuilt from a company that, at that time prided themselves on building transaxles that "NEVER FAIL" that way. Guess What? Mine Failed!)

Anyway, I spent a lot of money on another tranny because I wanted to switch to a 4.125 final drive and I had no core for that.

I got it though, spent a lot of time on installation to make sure the damn side covers would not leak. (this is such a common issue that I know full well you need to do this) and it was all for nothing, one test drive and it leaked badly. Also my engine rear main seal was leaking some, but that's another story. In any case it all has to come apart again and I just didn't want to do it at that time, so I left it parked. A few months later, one day, I found a puddle of fuel under the car, turns out the fuel pump went bad just sitting there. I changed that out. But then my decklid welds busted around the spring mount... Just one thing after another and I didn't even list them all. So I rather gave up and it's a dust collector in my carport now.

That sucks I understand the frustration for sure. I will start saving my pennies in case you give me a call.

Take care.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: