Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cooling dilemma
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

I have a 65 Westy and 1500 single port, that after being loaded with camp gear,kid,dog, wife, etc.., likes to run HOT. Everyone I ask locally has a different opinion of cooling tecnics...I have a new external cooler floating around and also most of a doghouse..also is there a way to tap into the block (oil pump) without machining? please the more opinions or facts - the better! thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

Your best bet is to convert to the doghouse offset oil cooler. stock on dual ports but i think you can convert your SP engine. you can add a full flow oil pump that doesn't require machining but will (I believe) require you to split the case just enough to pull the old pump out. Check out type2.com for other info from more knowledgeable sources. but remember, you are trying to push a heavy ass Brick full of gear with a tiny engine so its gonna make some heat!!
Happy Motoring. Gary
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

Not that I doubt what you're saying, but how are you determining that it's overheating? Oil temp? Subjective judgment? Just curious.
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

You don't have to split the case a for a full flow, it's simple...I have a tech on my site, for a full flow with pump, but realy it's the same thing...without the pump. The only bad thing about the full flow with dual outlets, is the fact that you are now running oil in a hose that could leak, to a differnt part of your car...meaning, if you spring a leak, well, let's just hope you don't! But I must admit, with the larger gears in the pump...Well, WOW! oil pressure has never been better, and i notice a difference just from that! When she's hot, she's still got pick up!
try Running higher octane fuel if you already aren't.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

Scat and CB Performance make full flow pumps. i know for sure that CB do a pump with an inlet and outlet allowing external filter and cooler to be installed.
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

Any Updated on what your doing with your bus? Just curious to see if you came across any good news. Peace!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

I drove a '69 Westy with the whole family and camping gear for nine years...the doghouse cooling system is your answer (although the original '65 system should also work fine if the parts are functioning properly). External oil coolers will not necessarily solve an overheating problem, if your timing is incorrect, parts are worn out, etc. The heads could be running hot for a variety of reasons. I've never run anything but the stock oil pump and cooler and they work fine as intended. Have a German mechanic check your compression, ignition timing, etc.
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

well thanks alot everybody!! I went with the doghouse, and I hooked up the oil temp gage again...it stays at about 210 (warm? but at least Ill quit losing my hair over it)..also adjusted valves and timing again...thanks again for the support!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: cooling dilemma Reply with quote

My '69 Westy would sometimes run as hot as 225 degrees in the summer, climbing a steep mountain grade or driving against a strong wind. Some of the European VW books say that is normal and I certainly didn't ever have any problems. Once it exceeded 225 degrees, I would pull over for a break and let the motor cool down. Also, I recommend 20W50 oil in the summer and 92 octane (96 RON) gasoline. In the winter, I go back to 5W30 and 87 octane...just in case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: