Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brazilian VWs "Fusca"
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanaxim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Brazilian VWs "Fusca" Reply with quote

I am doing research on Brazilan VWs "Fusca". My searches on the web have not turned up much.
Does anyone know when VW first started production in Brasil?
There are some very interesting ones down there. There are also companies that produce SUVs and buggies off of the VW chassis, such as GURGEL, SELAVGEM, and WALKSPORT.
I talked to a guy that bought a brand new Walksport. They can be made to run on gasoline, alcohol, and natural gas. Here is the link for Walksport. http://www.walksport.com.br Selvagem, http://www.buggyselvagem.com.br/produtos_i.html and some Gurgel models. http://www.gurgelbrasil.com/Fotos.htm
HMBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusca is the name, or nickname of type 1 in Brazil... (adopted by Volkswagen only in the 80's, until then the name was “Volkswagen Sedan”), the production of the Fusca in brazil starts in 1959, type 2 in 1957, but Volkswagen of brazil exists since 1953 importing CKDs. in the 70's importing cars was illegal; and there was a little number of different car models been sold, so some companies starts making some cars based on VW mechanics, you have the gurgel, puma and some others. A lot of buggies…
oceanaxim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Going price of Fusca? Reply with quote

I did a little bit of research on VWs in Brasil. I aslo looked at the MecadoLibre website to see what the going price of VWs in Brasil.
I know almost all motor vehicles cost almost double what they cost in the USA, but damn!
I saw a '62 junkyard special (bad) for 12000 reais! When I was in Santa Catarina, I saw a fun-looking Gurgel beach buggy for 700!
I wish I was able to buy it. It would have been cheaper and more fun than a rental car! And I could have gave it to my friend for "safe keeping" while I was back in the USA.
What is a "reasonable" price for a 60s vintage Fusca, with a solid chassis? Im just doing some research on the "VW climate". Any bargains to be found there?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Going price of Fusca? Reply with quote

oceanaxim wrote:
I did a little bit of research on VWs in Brasil. I aslo looked at the MecadoLibre website to see what the going price of VWs in Brasil.
I know almost all motor vehicles cost almost double what they cost in the USA, but damn!
I saw a '62 junkyard special (bad) for 12000 reais! When I was in Santa Catarina, I saw a fun-looking Gurgel beach buggy for 700!
I wish I was able to buy it. It would have been cheaper and more fun than a rental car! And I could have gave it to my friend for "safe keeping" while I was back in the USA.
What is a "reasonable" price for a 60s vintage Fusca, with a solid chassis? Im just doing some research on the "VW climate". Any bargains to be found there?

If you have VW friends in Brasil you will probably be able to find some good deals. As soon as a seller knows you're from the US or UK the $$ signs light up in their eyes and your chances of a good inexpensive deal lessens. It's not exclusive to Brasil, it happens all over the world and quite understandable, but nonetheless true.

Yes the MecadoLibre site is a good place to start if you want an idea of prices. Another thing to remember with early '60s Beetles is that the 1200s are all 36hp. Brasil didn't adopt the upgraded 40hp engine...you'll also find a lot of other minor differences from the Wolfsburg cars.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMR1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW production in Brazil started in 1953, I do have a magazine I bought when I was there and it has old photos of Buses and Bugs in front of the factory, I lived here in the US for 32 years but I'm brazilian and have some very old brazilian accessories from the period including an
ENAMEL VW sign from the early 50's that is double sided and measures 25" x 35" and a couple original near NOS hood crest for beatles....
HMBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMR1955 wrote:
The VW production in Brazil started in 1953, I do have a magazine I bought when I was there and it has old photos of Buses and Bugs in front of the factory, I lived here in the US for 32 years but I'm brazilian and have some very old brazilian accessories from the period including an
ENAMEL VW sign from the early 50's that is double sided and measures 25" x 35" and a couple original near NOS hood crest for beatles....

from 1953 to 1957 VW do Brasil only import "CKD" cars, the production in brazil starts in 1957 for type 2 and 1959 for type 1.

this is the photo?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: