Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extending Life of CV Joints?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Extending Life of CV Joints? Reply with quote

I am currently repacking my CV joints and I would like to know if anyone here has ever flipped the shafts end for end or side to side so the joints could run on the non-worn side of the inner and outer races. I would guess that this would extend the life of the joints greatly. So far my joints look good, no pitting or galling, but I would like to get many more miles out of them. Any thoughts?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip them every time and enjoy the new wear surface. But that way they will all wear out all at once.

I think Amskeptic has over 500K on his.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have 225000 on my CV joints in a 85. Three different motors but original joints with only a couple of boots and normal servicing.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually they get so loosy goosy that they start to click. When they click they are done. I flipped countless CVs around. They last a long time. Eventually you have to toss them when they get too loose. Too loose means they are really easy to assemble. If the balls fall out in your hands, they are done. In an emergency you can reuse almost any CV, but plan on problems. I have never (knock on real solid wood) broke a CV, but I have seen them. You end up walking.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made the same attempt to clean, relube and replace the boots. Upon thorough cleaning and inspection, the grooves on the inside of the cv's were noticably worn and spalled. The balls looked fine, but the joints were pretty sloppy when dry fit.

I replaced all four with european ones, and I can actually feel the difference when starting from a stop and shifting.

Don't cheap out. Clean them up well, and replace them if they show signs of wear. Do it once and forget about it for a couple of years.

And get a spare triple hex bit before you start. I had to shorten mine with a hacksaw twice while torquing/retorquing. When they cam out, the bit suffers more than the fastener.

Cheers!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:

I replaced all four with european ones...

Has anyone tried their luck with the cheapo ebay ones? I've been thinking about it; I need to replace at least one of mine, and I won't be putting many miles on them (my Westy's just a summer camping vehicle)...
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shenan-agon wrote:
riceye wrote:

I replaced all four with european ones...

Has anyone tried their luck with the cheapo ebay ones? I've been thinking about it; I need to replace at least one of mine, and I won't be putting many miles on them (my Westy's just a summer camping vehicle)...

DON'T

"Buy cheap, get cheap."

How much do you like to walk?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I will flip them for sure.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Eventually they get so loosy goosy that they start to click. When they click they are done. ....

I was noticing a strange noise in the past few weeks (actually I describe it in another post titled Odd Noise) and I thought that something was loose and rolling around in the back of my van - more pronounced when driving on a rough road surface. I determined that the noise is coming from the passenger side rear wheel area. When I grab the wheel well above that tire and pull up and down I hear a click that gets louder the higher and faster I move the wheel well. Kinda difficult to explain a sound verbally, but based on what you are saying about a click I am wondering if it is the CV taking a dump.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf,

It sure is something back there on that side. Can be in the brake system. Can be the rear wheel bearings. Can be the CV, too.

Grab the axle and twist it and move in it back and forth towards the wheel. If you feel it give and click, that's it.

If the wheel has play, it can be the rear wheel bearings. The wheel bearings are great in these vans but nothing lasts forever.

-Walt

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the wheel well? Or do you mean "move the wheel, well" ? Oh, you mean you're grabbing the wheel arch, right? Check your shock mounts and bushings. Possibly a loose bolt.

My CV's have over 280k on them, only one needed replacement recently because it got packed with mud about 7 years ago because its boot was torn and I got stuck in my creek crossing after a big T-storm deposited a foot of new mud. Cleaned it out, regreased and rebooted, and it took years more to really get bad. It was on the outer right, and only clicked when going around a right corner.

If you want to move them around to reverse the torque direction, you have to swap them side to side to get that effect. If you just flip them end for end while keeping, for instance, the right axle on the right side, you're still driving the joints in the same direction. If you put the right on the left, and vice versa, you'll reverse the torque. It doesn't matter if you flip ends or not, just that you swap sides.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have taken all the joints apart, I need to know which way the ball hub should be installed as some were installed differently from the others. The CV's have all been off before, evidenced by the beaten and mashed splines. I had to use a 5 ton press to get two of them off. These are all OEM VW CV joints. One side of the ball hub has a rounder profile and is smoother. The other side is more square and has more of a machined look. The Bentley mentions a chamfer at the splines but on these ball hubs there is a chamfer on both sides so that doesn't help. Anybody remember which way the hubs go on the shafts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: