Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon back to 16's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Hell wrote:
I ran 15" Merc C-Class rims on my T25 Syncros for years without them coming off. It should be noted that I swapped rims a fair bit, too as I was running road and off-road tyres. I always ran them with standard steel nuts on standard 'lugs' (or studs in this country).

i believe that, i think the person on here that did lose a wheel maybe had conical nuts. the stock nuts seemed...ok....but you could tell the ones loogy has with the merc seat and vw thread fit perfect and seated much better. to me it's cheap insurance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's not a matter of cheap insurance, it's a matter of getting the right part for the job. Loogy has done learned me reel good about the difference between rim type and nut seating types. Ball seat needs ball nuts. Rolling Eyes
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:
To me it's not a matter of cheap insurance, it's a matter of getting the right part for the job. Loogy has done learned me reel good about the difference between rim type and nut seating types. Ball seat needs ball nuts. Rolling Eyes

right, but if you have steel vw rims you have ball seats...just not the right size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
floggingmolly wrote:

right, but if you have steel vw rims you have ball seats...just not the right size.

Absolutely,

I have c class alloy mercedes wheels... using dough to make and impression and comparing the vw ball seat stock nuts, with the actual mold shows *clearly* go with Loogy. The actual seating surface is very important. Thanks to Loogy for his great service as well. He also has wheel locks, rear studs, and front hub conversion studs. I bought all that stuff, lol and because of the huge supply of 16" wheels I will still save $ over buying a set of used vw carat wheels.
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates, reports on these steel wheels? I sent out some pmails prior to making my purchase, but go zero replies.
Mercedes dealers were over 100.00 per wheel and it appears that Small Car purchased all the steel wheels offered by Tire Rack. Small Car bumped the price per wheel to 49.00, but they did cut the lug holes to work with stock Vanagon alloy lugs. I ordered five and await delivery.........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pachec wrote:
... but they did cut the lug holes to work with stock Vanagon alloy lugs.....

Wow! I would be very careful. From what I can gather, the use of tapered lug nuts is what got Mike (the fellow in this thread who had a wheel come off) in trouble. The issue is that the tapered lug nut would bottom out on the hub/shoulder of the stud giving a false torque reading while leaving the wheels slightly loose. And if SmallCar cut the holes even larger, as it appears on the picture on the web site, that would allow the lug nuts to move even closer to the hub.

Aftermarket tapered lugs might be okay since they have a slightly shallower reach than the factory alloy lug nuts, but I'm not sure.

I'm not saying this to spite SmallCar at all, I just don't want you to have the same experience as Mike did. Just check everything out carefully before setting out on the road.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, following Loogy's advice.......I contacted Small Car and it turns out they only cut them when you order them. I changed my order to 'uncut' so I will be ordering the lugs Loogy recommends.
They assured me that the lugs make full contact, etc., but I still went with the uncut version. The white van, under the 229.00 wheel package on Small Car website, shows their delivery van, which runs parts, daily, with the wheels cut to accept stock VW alloy wheel lugs.
Loogy, can you please resend lug email you sent earlier this week? I'm ready to order........
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pachec wrote:
The white van, under the 229.00 wheel package on Small Car website, shows their delivery van, which runs parts, daily, with the wheels cut to accept stock VW alloy wheel lugs.

Well, maybe I'm wrong about the situation that Mike had. Either way, I would still be inclined to do my own checking before assuming that it's all okay, if someone decided to go with the cut version that is.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I just spotted this thread.

I've been running the 16 x 7 ET37 C Class rims on my daily driver for the better part of a year. I used the Vanagon wheel nuts and bolts to mount the whole shebang, 205/55- 16 Michelins and all and its a great setup!

There is very little clearance from the sidewall to the upper control arm but they don't rub so...

I re-tightened after a week and that was the last time I've touched them except to check tire pressures.

I picked up another set of Craigs List for my other van. Smile
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vernthebusdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Eurovan /snowwheels/Tirerack Reply with quote

I am running Eurovan tirerack snow wheels on my 87 Syncro with a 6mm spacer front and back. It all fits and handles OK but I need a source for longer studs (65 mm ) ?
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan /snowwheels/Tirerack Reply with quote

Vernthebusdriver wrote:
I am running Eurovan tirerack snow wheels on my 87 Syncro with a 6mm spacer front and back. It all fits and handles OK but I need a source for longer studs (65 mm ) ?

i got longer ones from van cafe, they have 72mm ones. they are longer than i needed, but still do the trick.
youremyboyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: best deal? Reply with quote

using http://www.primepartssuperstore.com , the best price i'm coming up with is 98.40/wheel.

does anyone else have any suggestions for finding the best deal on five of these wheels?

additionally, is there a recommended method to retain the finish?
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: back to 16's Reply with quote

mcsyncro wrote:
i decided to go back to 16" wheels and tires for that more off-road look.
thought i'd show 'em off
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Really sorry about resurrecting such an old thread,(although it is a good one) but any idea where I can find that spare tire rack? sweet looking ride by the way. (compliment years too late)

Anyone who can help thanks

Fred
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a lot like a fiamma bike rack but not a vanagon version. Confused
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with 2 local MBZ dealers (San Diego). The wheels in the OP are now $134 each...

Apparently in JAPAN there is a MBZ steel wheel part number 203 400 16 02 that is a 16" with ET31. The dealer's listing did not say the wheel width however.
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masta Shake wrote:

Apparently in JAPAN there is a MBZ steel wheel part number 203 400 16 02 that is a 16" with ET31. The dealer's listing did not say the wheel width however.

Yup, I got a set from Singapore Smile. NZ$900.

they are 16" x 7.0" I have 215 65 16's on, and they are great. My steering is actually lighter now than with 205/70/14's!

They are very nice wheels, I painted them with spray on silver Hammerite smooth. look mean. The bolt holes are good for 14mm, They require ball seats.

Allan.
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the narrowest 16 or 15 inch benz steel wheel that will fit? part number? is the w203 chassis the only appropriate model for donor steel wheels, without using spacers?
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 15x6, and 16x6.5 I've been told.

Some newish Vito's had 16x6.5's, but with a much higher offset - 60??? I was going to get a set of them, and have the centre removed, machine some of the lip of the back, and reweld them in - cheap!.

No idea of part numbers for the other wheels.
Tmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will 225/75/16 tires on merc 16" x 7 steel ET37 rims fit on my stock '87 2wd Westy? Got the rims for $20 for all 4 and have found a set of michelin ltx's for cheap!

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: