Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon back to 16's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcsyncro wrote:
Quote:

Where'd you get 'em? I want some of those on my Tristar. Haven't found anyone who has them in stock.

i had these wheels before, got them from mercedes benz. they fit
perfect, no mods what-so-ever. i ordered 5 from the dealer, got
them in 2 days. $335.00 for five.
m/b part number..203 400 03 02

These look just like the wheels I saw on fastforward's website. Any idea what mb they fit? Do they have a part # on them? I'd like to get info on the offset and what not.

They look great.

Thanks
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
mcsyncro wrote:
Quote:

Where'd you get 'em? I want some of those on my Tristar. Haven't found anyone who has them in stock.

These look just like the wheels I saw on fastforward's website. Any idea what mb they fit? Do they have a part # on them? I'd like to get info on the offset and what not.

They look great.

Thanks

Uh, dude....he posted it somewhere...look on the first page......Does anyone know if they'll fit a standard GL (standard high springs - not Carat) without rubbing issues ?
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: back to 16's Reply with quote

mcsyncro wrote:
Quote:

i just called my local mb dealer - they say they are now $100/each. either
you got a deal or they have really gone up in value.

r
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i ordered 5 from the dealer, got them in 2 days. $335.00 for five.

You must have gotten a deal - $105 per rim here on the East Coast - just got my five.

LOVE the tires, can't find anyone on the right coast that has them in stock - Anyone have any knarley 225/75/16 recommendations?

Our local 4WD store has some great off-roaders, but at $300+ per tire, I'm not THAT serious, just a weekend trailer, if you catch my drift.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikees86TransSyncro wrote:

You must have gotten a deal - $105 per rim here on the East Coast - just got my five.

LOVE the tires, can't find anyone on the right coast that has them in stock - Anyone have any knarley 225/75/16 recommendations?

Our local 4WD store has some great off-roaders, but at $300+ per tire, I'm not THAT serious, just a weekend trailer, if you catch my drift.

yeah he got a great deal, my local mb dealer wanted $130 + tax!!!!

however, i searched for weeks for a web based OEM mb parts distributor. i finally gave in and tried one of the sponsored links on google's results and sure enough they had them! $82 a pop. they are on the east coast, so it's gonna cost probably $60 for me to ship, but even with that and no taxes it's still a better deal then buying locally.

the site is http://www.mercedespartssuperstore.com

you can look up the wheel by part the part number mcsyncro listed..
203 400 03 02

when you add it to your cart it doesn't list the specs, but i called and confirmed, it's a 5x112 with a 37 ET, 16x7 rim.

i just found them friday, but didn't order yet, i was going to post to this thread when i did. so just take that at face value, since i've yet to fully deal with this vendor. over the phone they were pretty nice though, once i get a green light from the family treasurer i'll be ordering some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know what these rims are load rated for? Club 80-90 guys in the UK say they should be rated at 900kg. each minimum. They use a 15" version that they say is too weak for the syncro. I would like to buy a set for my truck this winter to go snowboarding with if they are stout enough. I will also be using the rims offroad as much as I can in the summer.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Does anybody know what these rims are load rated for? Club 80-90 guys in the UK say they should be rated at 900kg. each minimum. They use a 15" version that they say is too weak for the syncro. I would like to buy a set for my truck this winter to go snowboarding with if they are stout enough. I will also be using the rims offroad as much as I can in the summer.

i don't know their rating, and i doubt you'll find it online, or even get an answer from a dealer.

but, if you look at a 2WD C class wagon, edmund's list it's curb weight at 3465 lbs. and they list the curb weight of the 2WD 91 carat at 3460 lbs. so pretty much identical.

now i know the syncro weighs more, they say 3942 lbs, but the C class also comes in an AWD flavor. edmunds doesn't list the curb weight for the AWD C class wagons, but another site (theautochannel.com) list it as 3650lbs. sure that's a bit lighter, 300lbs, but i'm sure the benz is engineered to easily handle 4 full size adults plus plenty more. besides it's steel, i can't imagine how it would fail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My truck tips the scale at 3600 lbs. I am not gentle with my truck at all and I am wondering how well the rims will take a hit offroad. This is the reason that I am looking at steel wheels not alloys. Sometimes the weight rating is stamped on the rims. Mercedes C class cars don't offroad very well Laughing
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbz of eugene sells the rims for $90 each and you would save on shipping I am sure. http://www.mbeugene.com/ou/eugene-mercedesbenz/console.do?page=s_parts_order_parts

mcsyncro what dealership did you buy your rims from? They obviously have the best price around.
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote from Vanagon.com in their wheels and tires section

VW lug nuts do not seat properly in a Mercedes-Benz wheel. VW has a 14mm ball taper and the Mercedes-Benz has a 12mm ball taper. Put some marking dye on the nut and see how much surface area is actually touching the ball taper of the nut.

I can completely attest to that -

I used stock nuts, and they DO NOT work on the rear - found out yesterday when the right rear wheel fell off. At speed.

I was too embarassed yesterday to post that here, decided to post though for safety sake.

Pending Postings -
Audi 5000CS Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Front Skid-Plate, bumper, winch install
Full Body Brush Guard

..........Spacers Bad, Bery, Bery Bad.........
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikees86TransSyncro wrote:

I can completely attest to that -

I used stock nuts, and they DO NOT work on the rear - found out yesterday when the right rear wheel fell off. At speed.

I was too embarassed yesterday to post that here, decided to post though for safety sake.

sorry to hear of your wheel failure. at least no one was hurt, runaway wheels can be deadly. thanks for posting though. had i not asked you i might have gone stock as well.

do you think the stock bolt length is long enough? anyone recommend nuts to use, and where to buy them?
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The studs are more than long enough.

I felt the seat angle was fine using stock. HOWEVER, the nuts "bottom out" on the stud shank right next to the brake drum - they feel tight, they look tight - but the wheel is not tight.

I have to replace all 10 studs, one rim - and thoroughly wash the drivers seat.

Pending Postings -
Audi 5000CS Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Front Skid-Plate, bumper, winch install
Full Body Brush Guard

..........Spacers Bad, Bery, Bery Bad.........
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what lugnuts are you using? If they are from a set of alloy wheel they are conical taper and not ball seat. Check the profile of the rim and compare it with the lug nut- are they the same. I don't think that a mercedes rim would fit on a vanagon if the holes for the studs were 12 mm. I am very interested in knowing if this rim will work as I am deciding between ordering this rim and buying a 15" set of SA rims from VolksCafe in the next few days.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of inaccuracies and misleading information on that Vanagon.com wheel page.

In their quote about lug nuts, Vanagon.com does not mention whether they are talking about alloy or steel wheels. They also use a 14mm and 12mm lug reference but they do not say whether they are talking about the radius of the ball seat or the thread size. It could be either. Vanagon.com says "VW lug nuts do not seat properly in a Mercedes-Benz wheel", which is partially true but they don't define which VW lug nuts their talking about. Vanagon alloys use a conical seat lug, Vanagon steel wheels use a ball seat lug. VW ball seat lug nuts fit in some Mercedes wheels just fine, other Mercedes wheels require a custom lug nut/bolt. Aftermarket Mercedes wheels (like GoWesty sells) use conical seat lugs. There's a lot that Vanagon.com does not explain.

syncrodoka wrote:
what lugnuts are you using? If they are from a set of alloy wheel they are conical taper and not ball seat.

What syncrodoka is refering to is that if you tired to use a conical (tapered) seat lug nut, it would protrude too far into the lug hole causing exactly what you described. Conical seat lugs can protrude several millimeters further into a lug hole than a ball seat lug.

I'm sorry that you lost your wheel and glad that everyone is okay, but something doesn't seem right. Mcsyncro has had his wheels on for a number of miles, seemingly without any troubles.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
I'm sorry that you lost your wheel and glad that everyone is okay, but something doesn't seem right. Mcsyncro has had his wheels on for a number of miles, seemingly without any troubles.

Mcsyncro, did you use stock vw lugnuts?

the ones on Mikees86TransSyncro's pic looks nothing like my OEM nuts...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mike, maybe you had conical nuts from your Ronal alloys?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the poop Mike? Were your initial lugs conical or ball seat?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcsyncro...did you sell that van or are you who I met at the race in Santa Fe?

Well it has to be the same turbo syncro, there couldn't be two of those bad a$$ machines!

as seen here http://www.roadhaus.com/Race.html
Mad-Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we get someone to clarify if oem alloy lugs and nuts will fit these rims? thanks
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
My current 15-inch South Africa steel wheels won't fit either Small Car's kit or Vancafe's.........bummer.

what !!!!
I talked to van cafe just yesterday since they just got 500 15" steel wheels this week & asked that very question and was told no issues with their BigBrake kit & the SA steel wheels who did you talk to at VanCafe that told you that ???
I know gowesty's fake 15" steel rims wont work maybe have gowesty steel rims NOT true SA 15" rims ?
works for SA & Vancafe
see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259308

Last edited by tclark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
So, what's the poop Mike? Were your initial lugs conical or ball seat?

Mad-Max wrote:
can we get someone to clarify if oem alloy lugs and nuts will fit these rims? thanks

I think people deserve an answer. How is anyone else going to avoid the same mistake(?) if they don't know the pitfalls?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: