Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sliding door seal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: sliding door seal Reply with quote

Does anybody have a pic on how the seal is supposed to be installed? I got mine from OEVEEDUB and im not 100% sure on what side goes where.

Thanks.

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
renobdarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same little issue with my rear door seal, but I just fit it in loosly a couple different ways and eventually figured it out. Might be a little trickier with that big 'ol seal, but if you get your friend or wife or girlfriend to help, you should be able to figure it out.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helps to remove the door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Helps to remove the door.

Door is off and no seal to compare to.

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
OrangeWesty'73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top and bottom are easiest to differentiate. The top had a thicker "lip" on the part that hangs down. The bottom has a thinner sealing piece that generally comes in contact with the front lower bracket every time it moves. The thinner side is kind of "wavy". Hard to explain but I know because mine is upside down. It doesn't make perfect sense until the door is back on and it's wrong (ask me how I know). The sides are very similar to one another.

Another tip. If you need to move the brackets on the door MARK THEM WITH TAPE. It took a few nights to get the door closing smoothly (following Bentley). Even though it closes nice and the gaps are even, it still won't lock.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this. Line the corners up, top and bottom will be obvious. Might take a few tries but you'll figure it out. Getting it seated was a two part process. First I pushed it into place seating the side along the opening, top and bottom. Sides fell into place with little effort. Next, I used the fingernail file on my Swiss army knife (with the screwdriver tip) to push the other side into place. Run your thumb down the length to finish it up. No adhesive needed for this seal. Take your time and it will be fine.
-John

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a simple piece-of-cake to do. But don't remember many details. I took off the rear side cover so that the rear "outrigger" would come out of its channel and the back of the door swing open. Then installing the seal while the door was still attached by the top and bottom rollers. That way you arn't removing the door or dont have to cut the seal. It took a couple trys to determine top from bottom and front from back. But when it's right there is a bead of squished rubber filling up the crack between the outer panel front edge and the door jamb. No glue needed. Just evenly position the long edges fron corner to corner. and work then into the grooves.

With your door removed, I hope you get some help putting it back on. It's heavy and akward. Hate to see you scratch up that new red paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: