Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel bearings / stub axle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Rear wheel bearings / stub axle Reply with quote

Need a little help please. Yesterday I pulled and replaced the rear wheel bearings (right rear side) and am looking for some guidance getting the stub axle to seat correctly and pull through the hub.

I used a couple Samba threads for guidance and my only real nemesis was the little bolt on the back of the wheel cylinder. Not being able to remove that bolt left me having to improvise a little so I had enough space to remove and replace the backing plate for the brake drum. To this I disconnected the inner CV from the tranny and pulled the assembly inboard. This process worked fine pulling everything out but reassembling via this process in reverse left me a little frustrated.

My thinking was to get the stub axle through the hub enough to use the axle nut to help pull it all the way through but at this point I can't get through enough to even do this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Obviously removing the bolt off the back of the wheel cylinder would negate the space issue allowing me to assemble the whole thing on a bench and just slide things back in but...

I'm starting to think I bit off more than I could chew with this "small" project so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Brad

1987 2wd Vanagon
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful, looks to me like the inner bearing has come apart, it does, with a small screw drive you should be able to move the rollers of the bearing enough to push the the center part of the bearing back in, if you force it you will damage the inner bearing, and you'll need to replace it.
if you can get the inner seal off you'll be able to see better what you are doing.
but you can do it with the seal in place.
you need to go slow, and fiddle it in place, then you are home free.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were up to me, I'd deal with getting it off the trailing arm. The wheel cylinder is going to fail eventually and you will need to deal with the bolt. Rather than removing the wheel cylinder, undo the brake line from the cylinder.

If I totally misunderstand your problem. Sorry about that. Fortunately the bolt threads into the wheel cylinder, so worse case you drill the bolt out from the shoe side and replace the bolt and wheel cylinder. I vote for not forcing it as well.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need to take it apart and put it on a bench, if you fiddle with it, it'll go back together, just DO NOT FORCE IT, you'll need a new bearing if you do.
you should be able to get it together in a minute or so, it's not a problem.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the OUTER roller bearing you guys are talking about, the inner RACE is visible in the photo, but the advice given is still correct Very Happy
bself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys very much! With that advice I managed to get the inner race of the outer bearing back into place which created enough space for the wheel hub to go on leaving exposed threads for the axle nut. I then just slowly tightened it all up bringing the whole assembly together <big sigh of relief>. Now off to tackle the other side. Really appreciate the insight.

Cheers,
Brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: