Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 661, 662, 663 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Driving through a storm cross country on the freeway was like wet media blasting the front of the bus! Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I finally decided to address the issue…

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally finished this project which consisted of:

1. Upgrade 90.5 pistons to 92 thick walls
2. Upgrade to Tims SuperStock Ported and Polished heads dual springs 37/32
3. Upgrade Weber IDF Duals to 32 Venturi and 1.45 main jets (ordered 1.4 and 1.35 jets just in case)
4. Upgrade fuel lines and fuel filter to steel braided 6an
5. Upgrade filler stand
6. Upgrade both pulleys (shim and align)
7. Fix 15 gal tank air vent (curved tube extended 2-3 inches down in tank)
8. Fix oil leak at deep sump gasket
9. Upgrade to 1.25 ratio rockers
10. Upgrade to chrome SCAT valve covers for ratio rocker clearance
11. Change oil and oil filter
12. Check oil cooler for leaks and re-seal
13. Upgrade dual carb Linkage to use top extension springs
14. Use roller throttle tube from Joe Bence
15. Replace throttle Bowden tube
16. Replace kinked throttle cable
17. Use one piece metal fresh air hoses from doghouse to heater box
18. Check main seal behind flywheel for oil leak (there was none)
19. 4 copper crush gaskets on head ports
20. Felt gaskets on intake manifold with Permatex aviation
21. Remflex cutout thick gaskets on all other exhaust connections

(I ended up with a CB Performance 7” pulley, not the 6 3/4 pulley in the first few images. I thought 6 3/4 was stock, but I had a 7”)

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

What I was hoping to do for my bus today was finish my transaxle swap. But I've been defeated by a buggered up axle thread on my newly rebuilt transmission. Thanks Rancho! I guess it's too much to ask that they check these sorts of things before sending it out the door. 🙄🙄🙄

So now I'm waiting on an order for a M30x1.5 thread chasing die nut. Maybe I'll finish this job next weekend. Sigh.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Are you talking about the threaded end of the stub axle coming out of the reduction box? Hell, I'd let Rancho know about the issue and have them send their thread chasing die to you to finish up their work, then mail it back to them. You shouldn't have to buy an expensive die for this, their error. The last few times I ordered a rebuilt transaxle (from other builders) I specified that they pallet the finished unit and ship it with axle nuts on the stub axles to protect the threaded ends during shipping and I've never had an issue since.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:
What I was hoping to do for my bus today was finish my transaxle swap. But I've been defeated by a buggered up axle thread on my newly rebuilt transmission. Thanks Rancho! I guess it's too much to ask that they check these sorts of things before sending it out the door. 🙄🙄🙄

So now I'm waiting on an order for a M30x1.5 thread chasing die nut. Maybe I'll finish this job next weekend. Sigh.

Have you tried starting the nut castellated side first? If the threds are not too bad it can clean them starting the nut castellated side first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well I ended up using a small v-file to clean up the end of the stub axle thread. That allowed me to get the nut started and I was able to wrench it home from there. Not ideal but it lets me proceed with the rest of the transmission work while I wait for a proper tool.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Glad to hear guatebus.

guatebus wrote:
Well I ended up using a small v-file to clean up the end of the stub axle thread. That allowed me to get the nut started and I was able to wrench it home from there. Not ideal but it lets me proceed with the rest of the transmission work while I wait for a proper tool.

Excellent advice Bill.

BulliBill wrote:
Are you talking about the threaded end of the stub axle coming out of the reduction box? Hell, I'd let Rancho know about the issue and have them send their thread chasing die to you to finish up their work, then mail it back to them. You shouldn't have to buy an expensive die for this, their error. The last few times I ordered a rebuilt transaxle (from other builders) I specified that they pallet the finished unit and ship it with axle nuts on the stub axles to protect the threaded ends during shipping and I've never had an issue since.

Bill

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I was having fits with valve covers.

First I put on 1.25 ratio rockers. They slightly hit on the inside of my stock valve covers. So I dremel sanded out the spots with the tiny dings, and slightly sanded down the valve adjusters. Worked great - no leaks.

Then rebuilt my engine, and ordered 2 types of SCAT valve covers - the stainless steel clip ons, and the aluminum clip ons with the heat baffles. I put the vent on each of them, and tried putting on various combinations:

1. Steel covers with dry cork gaskets - vacuum sucked in the bottom of gasket and leaked FAIL

2. Steel covers with orange silicone gaskets, held in place with permatex - leaked again bottom of gasket sucked in on 3-4 side - FAIL

3. Steel covers with cork gaskets held in place with Permatex Copper - leaked a quart of oil on a 10 minute drive - FAIL

4. Aluminum covers with cork gaskets sealed with Curil T on the valve cover side only - BINGO! No leak at all!

This has made me a believer in Curil T - even though the stuff has a very strong smell! After the leak in attempt #3, my dipstick registered no oil, and the oil pressure was low (light intermittent) until I realized just how much oil I had lost.

2332 Torque Motor Build

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I bought my '67 Campmobile a new pair of L & R side reproduction brake backing plates for my rear axle that "BBT Bob" went through the trouble to have reproduced. I bought them through stateside vendor CIP1.com and the BBT packaged backing plates are gorgeous. Thick gauge metal, nice crisp stamping, looks like they are powder-coated, these should do the trick!

On both of my rear original 54 year old VW backing plates, one half of the leaf spring broke off that holds the brake shoe "star adjuster" firmly in place. Without the leaf spring intact and in place the brake shoe can slowly loosen their adjustment - a pain in the ass to be sure! Bob's backing plates come complete with new installed brake star adjusting leaf springs.

And I just have to mention here that instead of simply tossing these new backing plates into plastic bags and into a box for shipping, BBT had nice sturdy cardboard packaging boxes with well-designed custom internal cardboard baffles to hold the plates in place and prevent any damage if handled roughly - very nice touch BBT! I can't wait to get my rear brakes apart and replace the original backing plates with the new BBT plates. Thank you "BBT Bob", "BBT" and "CIP1"!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:

Not that you should have to deal with this issue in your situation, but a thread file is a great tool to have. And they are pretty inexpensive. Can be bought locally, too. Most hardware stores have them.

Link

VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I figured out that my steering box was basically dry. I guess that's something I will have to keep a watch on and probably rebuild in the not too distant future.
I filled it up and ran some errands around town yesterday and reflected on the fact that I've owned this Bus 10 years now.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Original headliner? ^^^^
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This is really mundane but it is what I did for my bus. The one popout to door seal kept falling loose so I investigated what was going on.

A section of the painted dot material had bung back so I white glued it into submission.

I use NOS rubber that usually stays on by itself due to these barbs inside that grip outside but this one would not.

I use this secret glue. It is for gluing bicycle tires to the rim. You can buy it at most good bicycle stores.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Original headliner? ^^^^

Yes. I’m trying to preserve it as long as I can.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
T

I use this secret glue.

When I saw this I wondered what would you use tubular glue on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
BarryL wrote:
T

I use this secret glue.

I still ride sew-ups. Never thought of using Conti glue for this application.

-Rich
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
BarryL wrote:
T

I use this secret glue.

I still ride sew-ups. Never thought of using Conti glue for this application.

-Rich

Yes, the version you can get at NAPA is called 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive and it also serves as sew-up glue. It's available in the original yellow (we called it Gorilla Snot) or nowadays in black.

There are a lot of bike shops these days that can't spell 'sew-up' and would say, 'Oh, we'd need to order that.'
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Swapped in an alternator style fuel pump for a generator style (since I am gearing up to replace my generator with a 90 amp alternator to feed my 20000 lumen H4 LED headlights Smile

0. Removed Generator style fuel pump and cleaned permatex
1. Put in lubed up 100mm pushrod and 3 top gaskets - got 6psi
2. Ground off about 1.5 mm from push rod - got 1.2 psi (feared i messed it up)
3. Removed another gasket - 1.7 psi
4. Removed another gasket - 2.3 psi

After running it for a while, it stabilized at 2.9 psi - perfect!

2332 Torque Motor Build

melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Got some rotisserie hoops for Humphry:

These will be deployed in this space:

Probably sometime in February, when the floor is done in there.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 661, 662, 663 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 662 of 680

Jump to: