Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 602, 603, 604 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm contemplating putting a write-up together.

please do....

where did you get your gray inner seal?...

TEAM AUOK 1984 SKATEBOARD CO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

westcoastbullies wrote:
Quote:
I'm contemplating putting a write-up together.

please do....

where did you get your gray inner seal?...

Here you go!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Fitted my re-bushed nosecone and gave the transaxle a cosmetic freshen up. Having seen it in primer, I decided to paint the gearbox grey. I figure I'll be able to see the grime better and do something about it before it builds up. It was in a bit of a state before. I'll touch up any bits that couldn't be reached when I llie it back down on its cradle...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before and during...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Took the bus for a first testride with new brakes. Porsche 944 discs all around Smile
It worked great, much bettet brakes than org...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally got my door panels done.......

64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

oldthingguy wrote:
Finally got my door panels done.......

very cool, i like it

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Never been one to have good/useful tools (primarily due to cost); trying to change that (slowly).

Picked up a used Snap-On Brake Bleeding Box Wrench 7mm & 11mm
Part Number: S5913

...should make brake maintenance just a little nicer moving forward.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Never been one to have good/useful tools (primarily due to cost); trying to change that (slowly).

Picked up a used Snap-On Brake Bleeding Box Wrench 7mm & 11mm
Part Number: S5913

...should make brake maintenance just a little nicer moving forward.

I have a problem with the normal brake bleed spanners getting jammed between the bleed nipple and the brake pipe on the rears. Does this avoid/solve that problem?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I have a problem with the normal brake bleed spanners getting jammed between the bleed nipple and the brake pipe on the rears. Does this avoid/solve that problem?

Not sure; this'll be the first time I have used this type of tool... but it'll be awhile; my brakes are currently in great shape/adjustment. Perhaps others who have this tool can chime in?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Not sure; this'll be the first time I have used this type of tool... but it'll be awhile; my brakes are currently in great shape/adjustment. Perhaps others who have this tool can chime in?

I don't have that too but I have the brake bleeder wrench you see in the middle of this pile of KD Tools

It works pretty good at avoiding the wheel and tire.

The brake adjusting tool is nice too, better than a screwdriver, although I have a Snap-on one that I prefer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmanvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I don't have that too but I have the brake bleeder wrench you see in the middle of this pile of KD Tools

The brake adjusting tool is nice too, better than a screwdriver, although I have a Snap-on one that I prefer.

Any of those FS? Interested in the transmission tool and the brake bleeding tool.

Current Build: '67 Kombi goes Westy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8343416#8343416
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Those KD clutch cable wrenches make the double nut a lot less painful.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:

So does pitching the double nut setup into the bushes and installing a wing nut.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
'64cal lookdub wrote:
So does pitching the double nut setup into the bushes and installing a wing nut.
It is more than just the wingnut that needs changed. The throwout lever arm is different between the double nut and the wingnut.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
'64cal lookdub wrote:
It is more than just the wingnut that needs changed. The throwout lever arm is different between the double nut and the wingnut.

this is true, but that's like not changing the top engine mounting bolts to some later self-locking style. Why the engineers thought a normal bolt would work well, is beyond me...same goes for the fucking stupid double clutch adjusting nut.

as much as most of us feel 'the earlier the better', there is something to be said for progression and refinement.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

madmanvan wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Any of those FS? Interested in the transmission tool and the brake bleeding tool.

Sorry, this is an older photo and I sold or gave away all the extras and things I didn't want

Last edited by EverettB on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
'64cal lookdub wrote:

this is true, but that's like not changing the top engine mounting bolts to some later self-locking style. Why the engineers thought a normal bolt would work well, is beyond me...same goes for the fucking stupid double clutch adjusting nut.

as much as most of us feel 'the earlier the better', there is something to be said for progression and refinement.

I did this on my '61 when I had the transmission rebuilt and yes, it's easier all around. I recently adjusted the cable and it took only a couple minutes with my hand.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
'64cal lookdub wrote:

It will work with the old style clutch arm, but it does work much better with the proper matching parts in place.

Progressive refinements. Absolutely.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Sorry if I provoked the thread drift. I've remembered that my problem is tightening the rear brake-pipe-to-cylinder fitting, rather than doing up the bleed nipple. The bleed nipples that come with repro rear brake cylinders are longer and fatter, so a brake pipe wrench, or even a normal open spanner, gets to a point where the wrench jams against the bleed nipple when tightening the pipe fitting. I have to remove the nipple to nip up the pipe fitting if it weeps, then reinstall the nipple and re-bleed the brakes to find out if the weep has gone.

Not looking forward to that job when I put the transmission back in.

Sorry for any confusion, and the thread drift.

melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
'64cal lookdub wrote:

Am I the only one who finds the double nut easier to deal with? Break the locknuts free, then pull the clutch lever forward and the adjusting nut just SPINS with your fingertips on the cable. Get it where you want it and spin the locknut up to meet it.

The wingnuts have a nylock insert of some kind and take a lot more effort to move up the threads and usually something clamped on the cable to keep it from twisting.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 602, 603, 604 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 603 of 680

Jump to: