Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 613, 614, 615 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Yes, on the bus it is used for compressing the torsion springs. It can be used on other VWs as well.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

I'll be 50 this year and can relate every time I get under my bus. Smile

Where in the OC are you to get such a big lot? I'm in HB and its one of the few cities where you can still find big lots like this.

As for the money tree, mine is without leaves currently as I'm paying for two college kids. I'm just happy I have my Westy to enjoy.

I'm in Fullerton. The lots on my street are an outlier to the rest of the area. They were sub-divided a long time before the track homes came in back in the 50's. They are deep and I have an ally but it's a narrow lot @ only 60 or so wide. I put the big door in due to the narrow approach in the ally so I could get trailers in and out. Both my adjoining neighbors have 90ft lots. Should have bought one of those 20 years ago. Lol. I've got one graduating this spring and one more in the chamber, but he'll most likely go to CC like his old man so maybe I can buy a lift with the money I save on him...that's bad parenting, right? ;-P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I disassembled my doors on my SC, straightened two bent bent hinges and then reinstalled, with adjustments to a good fit... Had some keys made for the treasure chest latch (which matched the original door handles) stoked!

Stay air cooled! Cool
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

That can be tricky, good job!

otis64 wrote:
I disassembled my doors on my SC, straightened two bent bent hinges and then reinstalled, with adjustments to a good fit... Had some keys made for the treasure chest latch (which matched the original door handles) stoked!

Stay air cooled! Cool

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Final piece for my '65's engine. Minuscule and too shiny but it's what I did. Actually took three days as there was drying.

Prep:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gloss:

Install:

Yawn.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Final piece for my '65's engine. Minuscule and too shiny but it's what I did. Actually took three days as there was drying.

Prep:

Gloss:

Install:

Yawn.

Looks good. Now ditch that lousy Airtek fuel pump for the correct German Pierburg fuel pump. Wink https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140171

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I’ve always liked seeing that pulley tin on an engine. I have it on all of mine, but what’s it purpose?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Krustybus wrote:
I’ve always liked seeing that pulley tin on an engine. I have it on all of mine, but what’s it purpose?

I was curious of its purpose as well. There is a lot of heat thrown off from the oil pump region, maybe this would help prevent that hot air from getting in the cool side of things.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I pulled the transmission out of our 1966 SO44 "Dora" as it was leaking, super greasy, and had begun popping out of 2nd gear on deceleration. Everything else seem to be in order, it shifted nicely and made no bad noises.

I separated the RGB and axle tubes from the transmission to get them all cleaned up, install one piece boots, and repaint satin black while the center section was off getting repaired.

I got everything apart, cleaned up and painted and the tranny is back together and in the bus. While I was reassembling the RGB I noticed this bearing had a bad problem. I'm so glad I noticed this before reassembly. I decided to install all new bearings both sides.

With it all apart, I also took the the opportunity to replace the shift rod bushings on the long rear rod, clean and paint the front shift rod, shift plate, spring and bolts and washers for that, and install a new shifter boot.

Dora also got new e-brake cables, backing plates and brake shoes and cylinders as one side had been weeping for some time. Bearing caps were cleaned and painted as were the drums. Everything will be minty fresh when I'm done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
...the correct German Pierburg fuel pump. Wink https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140171

Those are pure perfection. I have two Pierburgs along with two NOS kits waiting to be redone on my bench but they will never be as cherry as yours are. I might just get yours instead.

wcfvw69 wrote:
...that lousy Airtek fuel pump...Wink

BarryL modified Airtek pump. Currently I have three of these modified ones in service with many miles and years on them and strangely (to my complete surprise) all are working perfect.

Krustybus wrote:

srfndoc wrote:
I was curious of its purpose as well. There is a lot of heat thrown off from the oil pump region, maybe this would help prevent that hot air from getting in the cool side of things.

I don't know for sure but a lot less dust comes in with it in place. Maybe the pulley acts like a fan and pumps air out the little drain below.

nlorntson wrote:
I pulled the transmission... Everything will be minty fresh when I'm done.

Now that's a real "What did you do for your bus today?".
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I like the lockwire idea. My carb and rebuilt Pierburg square-topped fuel pump both have spigots without the barb. Seems insecure.

I was Googling to find clearer pictures of how that could be anchored and there were some helpful ones on the Type2.com pages http://type2.com/rvanness/safetwis.htm

I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but using a zip-tie for convenience, Can't think where to anchor a tie to on the body of the carb though. It would slip off a screw.

Any suggestions?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
BarryL wrote:

I like the lockwire idea. My carb and rebuilt Pierburg square-topped fuel pump both have spigots without the barb. Seems insecure.

I was Googling to find clearer pictures of how that could be anchored and there were some helpful ones on the Type2.com pages http://type2.com/rvanness/safetwis.htm

I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but using a zip-tie for convenience, Can't think where to anchor a tie to on the body of the carb though. It would slip off a screw.

Any suggestions?

Having rebuilt hundreds of the Pierburg fuel pumps, I can say if the brass inlet/outlet tubes on the pump are firm in place, they won't ever fall out during use. It's the same for the inlet tubes on the Solex carbs. I check them during restoration.

On occasion I find a tube that's not secured tightly in the pump. It's removed and then reinstalled with a slight amount of epoxy so it will never come out again.

The NUMBER ONE reason the inlet/outlet tubes are loose in the body of the carb or fuel pump is- Folks YANK or tug on the fuel lines when removing them off the pump/carb vs. using a razor blade to slit the fuel hose lengthwise down the tubes to relieve the gripping pressure of the fuel hose on the tube. The German braided fuel hose has tremendous gripping pressure. As a result, when folks are yanking on the hose to remove it from the pump, it can loosen or even pull the tubes out of the body. It only takes a second to carefully slit the hose to relieve the gripping pressure and easily remove the old fuel hose.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Having rebuilt hundreds of the Pierburg fuel pumps, I can say if the brass inlet/outlet tubes on the pump are firm in place, they won't ever fall out during use. It's the same for the inlet tubes on the Solex carbs. I check them during restoration.

On occasion I find a tube that's not secured tightly in the pump. It's removed and then reinstalled with a slight amount of epoxy so it will never come out again.

The NUMBER ONE reason the inlet/outlet tubes are loose in the body of the carb or fuel pump is- Folks YANK or tug on the fuel lines when removing them off the pump/carb vs. using a razor blade to slit the fuel hose lengthwise down the tubes to relieve the gripping pressure of the fuel hose on the tube. The German braided fuel hose has tremendous gripping pressure. As a result, when folks are yanking on the hose to remove it from the pump, it can loosen or even pull the tubes out of the body. It only takes a second to carefully slit the hose to relieve the gripping pressure and easily remove the old fuel hose.

Thanks, I wasn't so much concerned about the spigots coming loose though. The carb was professionaly rebuilt and I checked that the pump spigots were secure when I rebuit it.

The spigots are parallel-sided tubing though (no barbs). I am a little concerned that the hose itself could work loose.

I use the proper fuel pipe clamps that grip evenly, but other pumps that I have have a wider 'barb' at the end that the clamped hose could not slide over. These spigots are the same diameter along their length so the hose can be slid off even with the clamps properly tightened.

I check them regularly, but sod's law being what it is...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Originally, for me, the wire is added insurance to guard against the pipe dislodging.

Who.Me? wrote:

I don't use or like barbs. They tend to cut into the hose especially with a clamp. VW originally did not use any clamps, barbs, or bulbs. The braided hose held itself hence why wcfvw69 says to slit the hose free.

Who.Me? wrote:

I don't use worm clamps as they tend to cut into the hose where the worm-slits are. This is where I will add that I switched to the Felnor 5.5mm hose and switched to the injection style clamps with the wire adding a little insurance to the hose coming off the smooth pipe (unlike the braided hose) as I don't like to over-tighten that style clamp.

Who.Me? wrote:
http://type2.com/rvanness/safetwis.htm
I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but using a zip-tie for convenience, Can't think where to anchor a tie to on the body of the carb though. It would slip off a screw. Any suggestions?

This works for me.

If you used a mini zip-tie and put it under your worm clamp you could go around the carb inlet casting.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thanks BarryL. I'm putting some fresh FI hose on tomorrow.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I have looked for the 1967 license plate frame for the last 10 years always missing a listing for one reason or another. Funny thing is the package sat at my back door most of the week before I realized it was there. End of marking period, and mid term grades make me so self-absorbed to get my grades in on time.

So happy, feeling my bus is finally complete.....well on the outside anyway Wink now if Mother Nature would get me out of a deep freeze I can install it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
if Mother Nature would get me out of a deep freeze I can install it.

You should wait to install that and the license plate last. Right before you take that first drive, bolt on the plate and frame.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

The hose is not fuel injection hose but the clamps are. Here's where I got the lowdown https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593649&highlight=fuel+hose . I miss-pronounced the hose as Felnor; it is Flennor. The I.D. is 5mm. I never could find the fuel injection hose (which is overkill I think) in 5 or 5.5mm.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

The hose is not fuel injection hose but the clamps are. Here's where I got the lowdown https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593649&highlight=fuel+hose . I miss-pronounced the hose as Felnor; it is Flennor. The I.D. is 5mm. I never could find the fuel injection hose (which is overkill I think) in 5 or 5.5mm.

I use this stuff. Mostly because of the ethanol resistance..

http://www.machine7.com/product_highslide.php?xProd=13193

I ended up spending most of the afternoon test fitting the top part of my single cab bows. The bows are a bolt-together kit rather than welded in one part but one of the end caps was twisted, so I had to take it apart a few times to adjust it and had to re-drill the outermost holes.

I'm glad we have a relatively large (for the UK) kitchen. It's cold and wet outside.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I use this stuff. Mostly because of the ethanol resistance..

http://www.machine7.com/product_highslide.php?xProd=13193

That looks like the ultimate choice. The Flennor is ethanol too. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 613, 614, 615 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 614 of 680

Jump to: