Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 615, 616, 617 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Not to mention the grey trim strip which you need to beat in to submission to hook on the corners (heat helps a bunch).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes mine is cracked and needs to be replaced but don't think I'll do that any time soon.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Nice picture Clara, which bus is that among the fleet? I thought mostly rain up there.

Clara wrote:
Just drove it.
Started snowing about 8am, though it wasn't forecast to start till ~11am

Ya, it doesn't snow much here, so it's an EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! SNOW!!!!
It does rain fairly often. but SNOW!!!!!

Quote:
Thats gonna be hard finding low profile chains that wide Clara! I've looped out in the snow in a lot of vehicles, but never in a bus. Be careful!

I've got a set of chains for the Cragars. Smile But the snow isn't sticking to the pavement. It did snow a couple more inches after that pic. Very Happy
It is pretty fluffy right now.

AS350driver wrote:
Do you have a thread on that one? At first glance I thought it was that TDI dually bus from a while back Smile

No, no thread. It's just a workhorse bulli big hatch kombi. Maybe should start one.... Bought it locally Jan 1 2008, from a guy who was parked it cause his he loaned the motor to his cousin, then the cousin sold the bug with the kombi motor in it. Jeremy was bummed, and the bus sat at his old dad's place. A friend found out about it when Jeremy saw the friends 66 DC, said I have one like that. Joe didn't want the kombi, but he wanted the tranny. So we bought the kombi, Joe got the tranny for his DC, I got a used stocked geared trans for the kombi.

After looking at it more, decided it was better than a shed. Put a motor and the stock tranny from Joe in it, and ran a few errands in it. loaned it to out of town friends to go camping. It turned into a regular driver when we left the 56 westy to get welding done Nov 2009.

When I got it running I went to NW Foreign Auto to get something or other. Mark recognized the bus; years before he had buildt the 2 litre motor and put a rebuildt 3.88 trans in it for Dick Crane, who Jeremy had bought it from. Captain Dick Crain (sp?) I guess Dick cut the wheel wells and put the Cragars on it. It had had most of the window seals replaced. It had rebuildt spindles on it. It had actually had had a bunch of work done, and showed that a PO was not afraid to spend money on it. Crane was a union electrican, and lived down at the west side boat yard by Tugboat Annie's. A friend's Japanese car mechanic also recognized the bus and knew the PPO. Who evidently had sold the bus and got on his Harley and rode off to N Dakota to see his ailing Dad.

Been taking other buses to events the last couple years, but this is the workhorse.

The other day Greg was buying stuff at the welding store and heard a voice, "Hey, where did the wood stove go?" She said her boyfriend used to have that bus. He didn't get her info. Rolling Eyes She said she sees it around town and at the gym.

Oughta take care of the rocker rust, strip it to og velvet green, put the replacement drivers door on, etc but we just drive it around.
It has a nice green dash. Smile

a scattering of pics:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Dude, definitely need a thread on that thing. It’s dripping with character! Yeah, it’s got a wide hatch, black primer, and flared fender wells......and wants to know just what you think you’re gonna do about it?? 😠
Looks to have a cherry nose, or been replaced already?

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Dude, definitely need a thread on that thing. It’s dripping with character! Yeah, it’s got a wide hatch, black primer, and flared fender wells......and wants to know just what you think you’re gonna do about it?? 😠
Looks to have a cherry nose, or been replaced already?

The nose is decent, isn't it? It's the factory nose.
Hope to do a bit of upgrade when the weather gets warmer. we'll see.
PapaG1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Has anybody got a tip on good disc brake conversion kits for split buses?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

PapaG1954 wrote:
Has anybody got a tip on good disc brake conversion kits for split buses?

Here's a thread... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475194&highlight=disc

Here's a bunch of stuff when searching the split bus forum with disc under title only.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Today, I replaced the muffler, damper, and tailpipe to deal with some exhaust leaks.

It took about 30 minutes to remove the old muffler, 1 hour to scrape all the stickers off of the new parts, and 2 hours to install the replacement muffler.

And what's up with the install kits you get these days? They contain a seemingly random assortment of fasteners and parts that don't fit. I have a small handful of leftover fasteners that I didn't use.

Sounds purdy now though.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:
I have a small handful of leftover fasteners that I didn't use.

Like what?

guatebus wrote:
Sounds purdy now though.

It is a sweet sound. Feels like home.
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

The muffler kit came with some extra M6 bolts with a slotted head. They were similar to the bolts that connect the heat riser flange to the muffler. Not sure what those could be for. The clamps came with lots of washers and nylock nuts, which I had never seen before. The exhaust temps are gonna cook those plastic inserts for sure.

On the tailpipe kit, there were some extra M8 or M10 bolts whose purpose I can't fathom. You really only need two for the exhaust pipe hanger, one for the damper to muffler, one for the damper to hanger, and one for the tailpipe clamp. Not sure what the extras could be for.

And for this kit, the clamps came with split-type lock washers only.

Other stuff:
- the damper hanger was bent at the wrong angle so I just reused my old one
- are the kits supposed to have clamps for the connections from the fresh air things to the heater boxes? Mine didn't so I had to reuse my old ones

None of this really held me up, but it's disappointing to see what passes for parts these days.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:
The clamps came with... nylock nuts, which I had never seen before. The exhaust temps are gonna cook those plastic inserts for sure.

P U.

guatebus wrote:
- are the kits supposed to have clamps for the connections from the fresh air things to the heater boxes?

Those are always separate from my experience.
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

So since I converted my 66 SO42 to 12v, I finally got around to installing the stereo. I rerouted the speaker wires to go down the A pillar since they are ceiling mounted speakers.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

dropped off the bus front walk thru seats at the old time auto upholstery shop today!! Hope to get them back in a week or 2 tops!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed a front fog light. It's not a peaked Marchal, nor a Hella, but I like the size and yellow bulb with clear lense. Undecided if it'll stay long-term. Perhaps the OG license plate should go and the light stays!
Used a motorcycle handlebar 'P' clamp to mount it, which worked out well in that regard. Now I just need some fog!!

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Everytime I see your bus I can't get over how killer the fade is. Fog light looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Looks correct. What diameter clamp? Have you been cop-hassled in So Cal for no California plate?
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Everytime I see your bus I can't get over how killer the fade is. Fog light looks great!
Thanks, motofly! All credit to Mother Nature. She's been good to it. It's a CA bus but it spent 41 years with an AZ desert owner, and 23 of those were outside beneath a mesquite tree.

BarryL wrote:
Looks correct. What diameter clamp? Have you been cop-hassled in So Cal for no California plate?
Funny you ask, I bought a 1 1/4" and it was too similar in size to the overrider, so it didn't close well. I found a larger 'adjustable' one (1 3/8" - 1 1/2") and used rubber as the filler, not the aluminum ring they provide. If you get one, I'd say don't use the countersunk allen to tighten it, only do that after you tighten the light mounting bolt, else the allen may strip out from too much cranking down (so it's said):
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/work-ligh...ghts/1417/

As for license plate hassle, the bus has been gazed at by numerous cops but never a word from them. My daily driver Passat wagon has no front plate either (due to mounting issues) and in 14 years only been pulled over once. Lucky I suppose...
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Drug the '65 SO42 out to Cars and Coffee this past weekend following a rub out and wax.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Whew-EE...original paint?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Whew-EE...original paint?

Only on the inside! Its a pretty good match and holding up pretty well for being sprayed in '98.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

And one of the best SO42 colors Wink

crofty wrote:

Drug the '65 SO42 out to Cars and Coffee this past weekend following a rub out and wax.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 615, 616, 617 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 616 of 680

Jump to: