Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 620, 621, 622 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tired of my turn signals either not working or slowing down! So I cleaned up connections replaced some connectors and re-seated fuses. Happy, bright, rhythmic signals!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Replaced my oil pressure sender.

It had been not turning on with the key for a while and even though it came on when you started the engine and turned it off and on again and seemed to otherwise work properly, it was bugging me.

When I removed the oil switch, I could spin it in its housing.
Probably only a matter of time before it started leaking.

New switch works perfectly.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mykillcykill would that be the remedy to speed up any vintage blinkers by cleaning contacts as well as fuse contacts? Sand and dielectric grease?

mykillcykill wrote:

Tired of my turn signals either not working or slowing down! So I cleaned up connections replaced some connectors and re-seated fuses. Happy, bright, rhythmic signals!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

[quote="LAGrunthaner"]mykillcykill would that be the remedy to speed up any vintage blinkers by cleaning contacts as well as fuse contacts? Sand and dielectric grease

In my case, yes. Corrosion increases resistance and resistance makes heat and cuts voltage down. Relays get slow at idle when you are barely charging, so that’s kind of normal. By cleaning the contacts the power flows better. In my case I had gunk built up within the turn signal switch and bad corrosion and frayed wires at the connector to the relay. I also removed, one by one, wires from my fuse box and cleaned with a brass brush and contact cleaner. Di electric grease is goo to put after assembly.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

( ^^^ I love your Triumph-sourced dead pedal! ) I have an old repro I'll never use- but I know exactly where it's going now Cool

Now the juices are flowin. Chrome wrap the centers of both my buckets; pinstripe the transition line and install some Zundapp pads!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
( ^^^ I love your Triumph-sourced dead pedal! ) I have an old repro I'll never use- but I know exactly where it's going now Cool

Now the juices are flowin. Chrome wrap the centers of both my buckets; pinstripe the transition line and install some Zundapp pads!

NSU would be a good fit too but a pain to source.

EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

At the moment I can't do much, but at least I finished this wooden casing.

DUDE1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well after a 5 year break on my project bus. I got the rear brakes back on.

Hopefully posting here we motivate me to move on with this project. In the interim 5 years some of the bus parts were involved in a basement flood. I've been out of work twice. Found a new job and another city and spent 14 months commuting back home on weekends as we tried to sell the house. Currently my wife is ill and I took leave of absence to better care for her and myself. I was burnt out on juggling work and her appointments so 4 months into my leave I finally got back to working on the bus. I'm not sure why I was so hesitant to get at it.

FYI parts you bag and label do much better in a flood if they are in paper envelopes written with pencil than plastic bags labelled with marker
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Removed center pin bushings from installed beam (using 19mm impact socket, ball-pen hammer, and stubborn force) and will be installing new ones, as soon as I find time.

Plan is to re-install new center pin kit, correct for '62 DC, adjust link pins, and possibly tie rods. Goal is to tighten up steering and improve driving safety.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Removed center pin bushings from installed beam (using 19mm impact socket, ball-pen hammer, and stubborn force) and will be installing new ones, as soon as I find time.

Plan is to re-install new center pin kit, correct for '62 DC, adjust link pins, and possibly tie rods. Goal is to tighten up steering and improve driving safety.

Doing the center pin and bushings was the most satisfying repair I've done in my single cab. It made a huge improvement and that made all the sweat and muck worth it.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

If you don't want to spring for the drift you can make a puller with a piece of all thread.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

While you are doing front end stuff, I would highly recommend installing a '66-'67 anti-sway bar on the front end. You will notice a positive difference in your handling when cornering.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Doing the center pin and bushings was the most satisfying repair I've done in my single cab. It made a huge improvement and that made all the sweat and muck worth it.

I concur with this. It made my Bus drive so much better. Luckily I had access to a lift and it made the job much easier.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

While you are doing front end stuff, I would highly recommend installing a '66-'67 anti-sway bar on the front end. You will notice a positive difference in your handling when cornering.

Thanks for the recommendations, but no sway bar for me. It drove great for many years/miles without one. It's just that time again to rebuild or replace worn and unserviceable parts. Sway bar would certainly be another added improvement, but I'm still in denial that I put disc brakes in the front haha. It's hard moving away from überstock mentality. It takes time haha. Thanks, guys, but I'll save that for some other day, some other truck.

EDIT: Or maybe I'll get a sway bar and try it haha. I'm exhausted from work and more willing to yield for the sake of safety, comfort, and control haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally attached my poptop permanently this past weekend. Unfortunately now my bus will no longer fit in the garage. Embarassed

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Hi Linda,

Bummer about the low garage threshold! Assuming that you have a air compressor, try dropping the air pressure in all of your tires WAY down to lower the Bus a few inches, then try rolling the Campmobile inside, then air it up a again. Just remember to do it again when you want to drive it back outside! It "might" work to get your beautiful Bus inside and protected.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thanks Bill I've done that before and it's a real PITA. But it may not work now with that seal in, I'll keep you posted.

BulliBill wrote:
Hi Linda,

Bummer about the low garage threshold! Assuming that you have a air compressor, try dropping the air pressure in all of your tires WAY down to lower the Bus a few inches, then try rolling the Campmobile inside, then air it up a again. Just remember to do it again when you want to drive it back outside! It "might" work to get your beautiful Bus inside and protected.

Bill Bowman

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Found my April 67 seatbelts and bolts too but only 1 belt latch if functional, I'll try PBBlaster on the other one. I'll clean up the webbing at a later date. Now to get the turn signals to work.

You can't tell with this photo but the emblem is black. So must better to be strapped in especially turning.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Unfortunately now my bus will no longer fit in the garage. Embarassed

Good job you checked first and didn't just put it away on autopilot. Could have made a horrible mess.

That reminds me. I need to make some warning stickers for inside the cab of my Single Cab. Not sure whether it'll clear under a car park height restrictor with the hoops at full height. Confused

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Unfortunately now my bus will no longer fit in the garage. Embarassed

Good job you checked first and didn't just put it away on autopilot. Could have made a horrible mess.

That reminds me. I need to make some warning stickers for inside the cab of my Single Cab. Not sure whether it'll clear under a car park height restrictor with the hoops at full height. Confused

yeah, we used to have to watch like hawks with the crewcab, the warning light up on the roof was TALL. Some parking garages you had to make sure it went between the light fixtures Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 620, 621, 622 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Page 621 of 681

Jump to: