Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 645, 646, 647 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

wish they could all look like that.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
I received my new 64 Panel/Camper on Monday afternoon when the seller was nice enough to drive over 500 miles to my house.

Yes, clean bus. How did he get home?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I had a shocking experience today. Last month I purchased new front Bilstein shocks from shock warehouse for my 1963 Double Cab. Not sure why the Front sets are more expensive then the Back ones. Any clues as to why that might be...?

Bilstein Front: 24-632799 - Current price $158
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id...ransporter
Bilstein Back: 24-181488 - Current price $79
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id...-24-181488

Even when you go the main Bilstein page they call out the same numbers.
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product-search-deta...4709395141

This morning I started to put them on and found out that the shock sleeves were too long. In fact, about a half inch too long. No way were they going to fit the Bus. So, after some research and frustration I decided to modify them to fit. Certainly I could have just cut the bottom ones and used a longer bolt on the top, but then the center axis of both collars would be slightly off. So I cut both ends down to 1.25”.
Original sleeve was 1.25” and the new shocks were slightly over 1.75”.
The pictures bellow should explain it better. So now the Bus rides much nicer. Hope it is worth the dollars I spent.

I hope this experience helps someone ells from falling into the same situation. Not that hard of a mod but certainly frustrating after spending so much money and thinking I had an easy 30 min. job this morning. Wink

The ride is much better but we will see over time if it was worth the extra money.
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Before it got too hot here in SE Arizona, I drove it east on Hwy 90 to check out the fire that took place Sunday night along the San Pedro river. They had to call in the big plane to drop some retardant. Im glad I was there about five days later instead of getting splattered orange Sunday night. The real highlight of the day was getting one of the cargo doors open on the driver side. I thought it was locked for the first two weeks I owned it. I thought I was going to have to have a key made to unlock it.

teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Retrofitting a Mercedes clock that works.

Removed the old vw bezel and put it on the Mercedes clock

Rawq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

So over the past 18 years I've been slowly, ok really slowing resto on my 58 bus... as I come across little issues the forums here have been a great help.. Thanks all..
I figured I would share my shifter issues and story maybe helping someone else in the future.
After rebuilding the motor, adding a new transmission, replacing the shift rod, couplers, shifter etc. it was time for the fist drive. The motor fired up right away and I let it warm uo a bit then pulled it out of the garage, I put the bus in first gear and slowly rolled out. Stopping before I was completely out I figured I better check reverse... No reverse!
The is where the forum came in handy..
I started with the simple recommendations like adjusting the shifter plate, no luck, I had changed the shift to an EMPI shifter so I figured maybe it was the problem. put the stock on back on, still no reverse.
So rather than stew over it I decided to remove the entire drive train and check every part.
To make a long story short the problem ended up being the smallest part of the entire shifter assembly.. The front coupler... it was poorly manufactured and the holes driller were out 1/16th of an inch, enough to prevent reverse...
The EMPI shift went back in and worked however it had catastrophic failure on the first trip, a weld inside the unit failed..cheap junk, so I went back to the stock shifter and all is good.. I hope this helps someone else if they experience the same issues..

thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

So after 15 years of dealing with rattling windows, I finally called Ronnie and ordered new rubber kits.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maximillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Been a looong time since I’ve done anything for my bus. About two years ago I tried to fix it (after it sat for 4-5 years) and realized the engine lost compression so then I was going to trailer it from NH to Seattle but my trailer was way too unsafe so I finally had it shipped out a few weeks ago. Had a zoolander moment when I was cleaning the main floor mat! Our one year old absolutely loves the bus though! I guess these busses are pretty timeless! Smile

thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I decided to finally replace the front windshield seals - they were rock hard, and had been siliconed several times. It was a PITA just to get the windshields out - I carefully heated and cut the old rubber out, then cleaned everything up. My wife helped me reinstall them with the news seals, and everything was golden. I had a couple of house chores to do, and when I went back to clean the fingerprints off the windshields, I discovered that the driver's side had cracked Crying or Very sad

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pmcnulty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally was able to source a decent Hehr window crank replacement. New metal screens installed and a little drill out and modification and all 5 looking good and working fine. Fresh air at last. 😜

Deluxe2164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Added air shocks to the front end to stop passenger side from rubbing when I have more than four people.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

pmcnulty wrote:
Finally was able to source a decent Hehr window crank replacement. New metal screens installed and a little drill out and modification and all 5 looking good and working fine. Fresh air at last. 😜

looks great

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

just happy to get to the storage unit to put the charged battery in it and start it for the 1st time in awhile since i will be moving it to my new garage soon!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed my new distributor. Marcel from VWNOS.com restored it for me and I can’t speak more highly of him. Great work and customer service!

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed a replacement wiper blade on the passenger side of the Cragar Kombi. Those rubber blades just don't last as long outside in California as they did in Washington! There is rain in the forecast for Thursday.

Also snugged the screw for the ignition switch, which was loose.

Added 1/2 qt oil, since the oil level was at the bottom line.
I checked the cap nuts on the oil drain, they were not quite snug, so snugged them up.
The oil filler was loose on the gen stand, so tightened that funny bolt down its throat.
Hopefully that reduces oil seepage and loss.

Only have put about 1300 miles on it this year, been driving the red bus more. And haven't taken it on any camping trips, or to any shows. Not that I've been to any shows this year. Greg went to BBB, in the blue bus ('56 westy), but I stayed home to help my Mom who was having some health issues.

The blue bus stays in the garage. The wipers on it seem okay still, they are not dried out and cracked.
newbie68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This past weekend, I was cruising around on my '65 bus when a truck that had been behind me (on the left hand lane), came around and paired up with me on the right. He yells out wondering if I knew my brake lights were out. I told him no, thanked him and continued on my way. So today, I finally got to it and tested the wires going to the MC brake switch, and sure enough, they definitely had juice and made my brake lights work when I made a direct connection (I had already decided to replace the wire clips). I next cleaned the brake switch connecting tabs and connected the wires. The brake lights did come on, but it was sporadic -- sometimes they came on with a light touch of the brake, and the next time, only with the brake pedal all the way to the floor, and sometimes not at all. It was at this point I decided to go get a new (2 prong) brake switch and also splurged on a boot to cover the switch and the connections. This meant I had to once again remove the wire clips in order to fit the wires through the boot (lesson learned). I removed and replaced the new brake switch, and voila! The brakes came on with just a light touch of the brake pedal. Also while down there, I discovered why my horn didn't work -- the wire had broken off from the connector, so I replaced that connector and got the horn to work. All in all, I'm happy that I'm once again California legal Very Happy (and that I saved a few bucks, all the while gaining a bit more confidence in doing the work myself Dancing ) Green Bus Oh, lest I forget -- all you guys rock!
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I've been working on this thing a bit lately. Got some fresh meats mounted up this weekend and took it to its first show. Tiiiight

iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I decided not to sell my 64 Double Door and canceled my Samba for sale ad I put up last night, early this morning.

I sprayed Simple Green in engine bay, under the engine and transmission but only let it soak an hour before taking it to the car wash. I have no patience and decided if it didn't clean up well enough then I would let it soak overnight and wash it again tomorrow. It turned out pretty well.

Before and after photos are being loaded in my Gallery.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

It may not seem like a lot to all of you V-dubers but this is my first VW and now my first carburetor install and it turned out a lot easier than I thought. I bought the 34 PICT 3 last year from Tim of VolkzBitz with the old carb failing yesterday it was finally time to install and she never sounded better. Yes I need to clean the area install the tin etc. but that is for another day. Thanks Tim.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 645, 646, 647 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Page 646 of 681

Jump to: