Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 650, 651, 652 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
The bumper on my 59 single cab sits a little bit like yours does. I am not sure of the cause since that bumper has been with the sc for many years based on previous owner photos.

AS350driver wrote:
I put a new WW rear bumper on my junky 13 window. Also connected the heater cables and got the heat/defrost sleeve on the heater tube unfrozen.

Maybe I put it together wrong, but my new bumper is drooping badly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The old one rattled incessantly and was falling apart, but at least it sat level.

Are the splash pans installed? Almost every bus with a stock (OG or aftermarket) bumper will look just like that w/o the pans. You can see in the last pic the hole just above the tip. That is for the pan. You can tweak the bumper so it looks ok. But, it will vibrate like crazy.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Brought the 60 DD Panel home from the shop. Axle seals and boots replaced, new bus exhaust and quiet muffler, new headlight switch as the old one you had to jiggle a little for it to work, and I added a new black knob for the emergency brake handle. I'll the chrome piece on the engine lid tomorrow for the NOS church key I bought the other day. Plans for tomorrow to take it on a road trip of 40-50 miles down through the beautiful southeastern part of Arizona. It cruises smooth 60-70 mph, good tight steering and nice and noisy like a panel van should be. Nice to see no more gear oil on my driveway.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
Brought the 60 DD Panel home from the shop. Axle seals and boots replaced, new bus exhaust and quiet muffler, new headlight switch as the old one you had to jiggle a little for it to work, and I added a new black knob for the emergency brake handle. I'll the chrome piece on the engine lid tomorrow for the NOS church key I bought the other day. Plans for tomorrow to take it on a road trip of 40-50 miles down through the beautiful southeastern part of Arizona. It cruises smooth 60-70 mph, good tight steering and nice and noisy like a panel van should be. Nice to see no more gear oil on my driveway.

good to hear that you are driving and having fun.

If the noise gets to you, or you want to "step up" for something good, grab a set of the uber panels from Clara. Looks good, and quiets it down some.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1506483

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I continued to do the small stuff before my afternoon appointment. I mounted the NOS church key I bought from Zack here on Samba. I replaced the gas tank lid lock with one I bought from EJ Kupfner (cant remember user name). I had a chrome engine lid piece for the church key latch. I took out the latch, cleaned it and applied WD-40 and it works much smoother. The new cab floormat fits and looks great, I just need to cut around the dimmer switch. I found one blown fuse and replaced it. I found the VIN under some paint engraved in the engine tin. Matches title. I then took the DD Panel out for a 20 miles spin. It ran and sounded great.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

DROVE IT EVERYWHERE !!!!

Painted the emblem on front with L82 Silver White. Primed the bare spot on the bumper on tuesday. The shop I took it to, at my request, sanded down the weld bead in a square shape. Painted L82 Silver White from Wolfsburg West and it matched the rest of the bumper. Used that to cover the dark gray primer spots that were scattered on the rest of the body. Once the paint was dry took photos for my sales ad and then put miles on it with highway driving and in town driving. Drove and sounded better with a new EMPI exhaust and muffler. This Panel runs fantastic with the 1835cc and the lowered stance has it riding very very smooth.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
The shop I took it to, at my request, sanded down the weld bead in a square shape.

What weld bead?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
DROVE IT EVERYWHERE !!!!This Panel runs fantastic with the 1835cc and the lowered stance has it riding very very smooth.

Flipped spindles, a simple straight axle kit out back, good shocks, tight steering, and a mild engine make a bus drive just right. Enjoy it!
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
iubhounds wrote:
The shop I took it to, at my request, sanded down the weld bead in a square shape.

What weld bead?

This one

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Your "sales ad"? You aren't selling it now are you? Sad

iubhounds wrote:

Once the paint was dry took photos for my sales ad and then put miles on it with highway driving and in town driving. Drove and sounded better with a new EMPI exhaust and muffler. This Panel runs fantastic with the 1835cc and the lowered stance has it riding very very smooth.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well it's a complicated puzzle. My brain cells are basically gone when it comes to VWs or other cars. I like this panel. The reasons I bought it are still there. Yesterday proved it is a good driver on highways or locally in town. The lowered stance makes it ride smooth. I still prefer a stock height panel.

But I still have this strong urge for what my WTB ad was back a month ago. Original, some patina, a driver, stock height, and at least a 1600 engine. Surprisingly there were few replies that fit those requirements and the few that were, were too much or in the UK. So I listed this one for sale to see what would happen and to wait for the exact one I want. I really don't expect much and may turn my focus back to spending more money in getting this one raised back to stock level.

My insanity seems to operate in "one hour windows" and that's never good.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Your "sales ad"? You aren't selling it now are you? Sad

iubhounds wrote:

Once the paint was dry took photos for my sales ad and then put miles on it with highway driving and in town driving. Drove and sounded better with a new EMPI exhaust and muffler. This Panel runs fantastic with the 1835cc and the lowered stance has it riding very very smooth.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

What weld bead?

may have had a trailer hitch at one point?

as far as selling it goes. Have you considered a trade ad instead? there may be people looking to lower their stock height panel.... job is already done.

I like your panel, but i would also want a stock height one.

Uli

iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
BarryL wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

What weld bead?

as far as selling it goes. Have you considered a trade ad instead? there may be people looking to lower their stock height panel.... job is already done.

Good idea and no, I never thought of a trade ad ... I will make one today. Thanks.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
mandraks wrote:
BarryL wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

What weld bead?

Good idea and no, I never thought of a trade ad ... I will make one today. Thanks.

Or an offer to trade the lowering parts for stock height parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Its not even 10am here but I have already fixed the inner door rod. When I tried opening the driver door yesterday to get out, the handle went all the way and I heard the rod fall to the bottom of the door. Luckily the small screw and nut also was at the bottom of the door and within reach. Took me less than 30 minutes to fix.

Father_n_son_T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I got the first building materials for a new garage I’m building in the yard. It’ll house my -67 Samba (that I recently gave myself as a consolation prize after divorce).
Since there’s only one spot it can be placed, right next to the terrace, I’m putting in large panoramic windows and interior lighting. So, when that lump HAS to be so much in view, why not make it a nice one?!

Next up is getting a bobcat to trim off some dirt and start drilling in foundation points (4’ metal screws).
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
I got the first building materials for a new garage I’m building in the yard. It’ll house my -67 Samba (that I recently gave myself as a consolation prize after divorce).
Since there’s only one spot it can be placed, right next to the terrace, I’m putting in large panoramic windows and interior lighting. So, when that lump HAS to be so much in view, why not make it a nice one?!

Next up is getting a bobcat to trim off some dirt and start drilling in foundation points (4’ metal screws).

Sounds cool.

For what it's worth, it's ok to post "garage construction" photos here in the "VW only" gallery since it's for your Bus. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Father_n_son_T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:

Sounds cool.

For what it's worth, it's ok to post "garage construction" photos here in the "VW only" gallery since it's for your Bus. Smile

Hi! Thanks for the tip Cool
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:

Sounds cool.

i would bet money though, that your 67 is a 21 window bus?

Uli

Father_n_son_T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:

Sounds cool.

i would bet money though, that your 67 is a 21 window bus?

I’ll take that bet Cool
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

"Is that an adjustable spanner? Good choice, Steve!"

iubhounds wrote:

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 650, 651, 652 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 651 of 680

Jump to: