Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 651, 652, 653 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:

i would bet money though, that your 67 is a 21 window bus?

I’ll take that bet Cool

well, i am intrigued, let's see some pics then Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Father_n_son_T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I’ll take that bet Cool

While I figure out how and where to upload my pic.s, could you elaborate on your scepticism?

Edit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

55bundt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

WOW!!! Well I be damned!! A genuine 1967 23 window...This gentleman knows what he has!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

55bundt wrote:
WOW!!! Well I be damned!! A genuine 1967 23 window...This gentleman knows what he has!!

Must be brazilian. Nice looking bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I’ll take that bet Cool

While I figure out how and where to upload my pic.s, could you elaborate on your scepticism?

Edit:

sure, a brazilian bus would have corner windows. I don't mind that at all, i like the pressed bumpers as well.

Uli

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I’ll take that bet Cool

VW didn't produce 23 windows in 67. Factory production of 23 window buses ended in 63 and the 21 window bus replaced it for the 64 model year. Your bus appears to be a 23 window or 23 window clone based on a Brazilian made bus. It is a chore that involves a lot of cutting and welding to make a German built 67 bus into a 23 window due to the wider rear hatch etc. References to a 67 23 window are still a relatively new thing to some folks myself included.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I’ll take that bet Cool

VW didn't produce 23 windows in 67. Factory production of 23 window buses ended in 63 and the 21 window bus replaced it for the 64 model year. Your bus appears to be a 23 window or 23 window clone based on a Brazilian made bus. It is a chore that involves a lot of cutting and welding to make a German built 67 bus into a 23 window due to the wider rear hatch etc. References to a 67 23 window are still a relatively new thing to some folks myself included.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I’ll take that bet Cool

Wink

i found another on in the brazilian bus section, 73, same color, just before the 23 window conversion and without the pressed bumpers.

Uli

Father_n_son_T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thank you all kindly for your interest! So far we’ve concluded it is indeed Brazilian, AND I can count to 23 Laughing

A bit surprized over some of the reactions at first. But I get it now Rolling Eyes you’re trying to tell me, that some conversion may have taken place. Never gave it a thought, (and won’t give it any further, since I’m very happy with my bus as it is). Plus it’s veering off this thread’s course.
What’s with all the tip-toeing, gentlemen? I won’t be offended by facts, I deal with facts. And I’ll learn more about my bus, and that’s a good thing! So, for future comments on any of my topics, you can be straight up honest with me. And I mean it in the friendliest way.

Now back to topic...sorta
I’m down for count after hernia surgery today, so garage build will be postponed for a couple of weeks. In some ways something I had done for my bus today, so I can do some heavy lifting soon without bowels going pop.
I hope I don’t have to post pictures of my yellow tinted, white bandaged abdomen to convince any sceptics of my procedure today Laughing , (it’s not a pretty sight Wink ). And as I may not know too much about Brazilian VW history yet, I do know anatomy.
But as soon as I start diggin’ I’ll keep you posted. Build year and country of origin will be documented thoroughly! Laughing

For more pic.s and a few vid.s you can go to fatherandson_t1 on instagram
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

What's most important is you like the bus and drive it! However, I'll say that pressed bumpers don't look right at all with fried egg turn signals.

How deep are you going on the digging? Did you do the magnet test all around the drip rails, under the doors, on the doglegs, or where the rear hatch and engine carrier meet (where there are likely rust issues)? Check for a few key items:

- Is there an m-code plate behind the passenger seat on the bulkhead?
- If so, does it match the stamped vin in the engine bay or the title?

I would send off for a "Birth certificate" to see what it really started out as, not that it much matters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Father_n_son_T1 wrote:
Thank you all kindly for your interest! So far we’ve concluded it is indeed Brazilian, AND I can count to 23 Laughing

A bit surprized over some of the reactions at first. But I get it now Rolling Eyes you’re trying to tell me, that some conversion may have taken place. Never gave it a thought, (and won’t give it any further, since I’m very happy with my bus as it is). Plus it’s veering off this thread’s course.
What’s with all the tip-toeing, gentlemen? I won’t be offended by facts, I deal with facts. And I’ll learn more about my bus, and that’s a good thing! So, for future comments on any of my topics, you can be straight up honest with me. And I mean it in the friendliest way.

Brazilian Busses get a bad rap from the shitty people who are flipping junk with a ton of lipstick. There were never sunroof deluxs from Brazil, the roof has been cut to add the sunroof and skylights and usually not correctly.

As you dig into the bus you may find many cans of worms you need to deal with. A local shop did $20K in work to bring a $40K Brazilian Bus to safe driver status.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Father_n_son_T1 wrote:

Brazilian Busses get a bad rap from the shitty people who are flipping junk with a ton of lipstick. There were never sunroof deluxs from Brazil, the roof has been cut to add the sunroof and skylights and usually not correctly.

As you dig into the bus you may find many cans of worms you need to deal with. A local shop did $20K in work to bring a $40K Brazilian Bus to safe driver status.

That and there’s a reason why sunroof Buses had belly pans. Let’s see how well the doors open and close in a few years on those Buses.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
That and there’s a reason why sunroof Buses had belly pans. Let’s see how well the doors open and close in a few years on those Buses.

Great point! Maybe one of the easiest (and first) checks is to look under the bus and see if there are belly pans. If not, you've got quite a bit of work to fix that.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
VWAdam wrote:

Great point! Maybe one of the easiest (and first) checks is to look under the bus and see if there are belly pans. If not, you've got quite a bit of work to fix that.

That and how twisted is the chassis to start with from all the beating it has taken over it's lifetime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Today

Nothing major;

put in a reproduction grab bar (from Wolfsburg West).

Also fixed that my rear dome light wasn't working (contacts and grounding screws needed to be cleaned).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well, I thought I was doing good. I've been working on a 66 Velvet Green bus that per the M-codes was built with a dual circuit brake system. So when ordering all my new brake components, I ordered the beloved 67 Only dual master cylinder.
When it came time to pull the old unit, I noticed it was a single circuit unit. When I installed the dual master cylinder, all of the brake lines were accounted for, kicker is now with everything buttoned up, I can't get the driver front wheel cylinder to bleed. All other 3 wheels are behaving normally.
Is there a T within the front brake hard lines that is missing to make this dual circuit brake master work correctly, and allow the DR side wheel cylinder to received fluid?

Thanks gentlemen, these silly Splits are just different enough from a Bay to get this Bay fella in trouble.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Don't know why I didn't do this years ago!

Typically you have to take off the special lug-nut that keeps the spare on the bracket ('67 Westfalia Walk-through has the spare in the back left), then heave it out of the well so that you can turn it around and find the Valve Stem to check the pressure or add air.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed a 3/4ths length roof rack (or 2/3rds?) made by Front Runner.

Although it would be great to have a classic looking original or reproduction rack, we have a very low ceiling garage.
I worked with the Front Runner folks to "create" this one.
The specifications have it low enough for my purposes, and if I want, I can utilize some of the many accouterments they make (already bought a couple, and I have specific plans to fulfill within April for over-packing camping fun).

I have a thread somewhere in which I was asking about/discussing "modern" racks and load bars. When I have time I'll tack details about this rack there (part numbers, measurements, etc.), in case anyone's interested. Love it so far, but it's been on a total of 3 hours.
Total weight: 76.65 pounds
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Installed a 3/4ths length roof rack (or 2/3rds?) made by Front Runner.

i think you need something like this: https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-leisure/shade/awnings/batwing-awning-right-_33200

Uli

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
I think you need something like this: https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-leisure/shade/awnings/batwing-awning-right-_33200

Mandraks, that's incredible... for simplicity, however, I am going with this:

Link

Front Runner makes a Quick-Release mount that I'll be able to take it off the rack anytime I want without wrenching anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 651, 652, 653 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 652 of 680

Jump to: