Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 654, 655, 656 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom snowden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

New rear Westy from OC Westy in SoCal perfect job! Look him up!!😎

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
skip2th wrote:

Is that the fabled and legendary genuine truck bumper?

Indeed it is! I was very fortunate that it was still with the truck. I understand they are difficult to find and are a little different from a rear bumper that came on a non truck, bus.
skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

ib-bus wrote:
skip2th wrote:
Today I installed a set of new Chevron mud flaps & brackets. Parts from Retro Bus Parts. Slow Moving Vehicle magnet from them also.

We are Resto Bus Parts Very Happy (not Retro).

Thank you for your purchase , I hope you don't mind me using your picture.

I apologize, major typo there. Very pleased with my purchases from Resto Bus Parts!

I also received my "D" magnet after this photo, and it is on the rear of my bus truck now also. Only wish you would have had the "Patina" (Slow Moving Vehicle/ in stock) magnet when I made my purchases. No worries. Honored that you shared my photo, Thank You.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I bought this truck to be used when needed. Friday night and Saturday morning it hauled 1200 pounds of top soil in different arrangements. One hand loaded the other a pallet was loaded. The BFGs 215/75R came in handy as the bed lower just a little with the load. The 1600 did well driving up two steep hills on the three mile drive home. Definitely a keeper.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well done. These trucks like to work as intended.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I really like the "D" tie down ring at the rear of the bed. Very handy I'm sure.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
I really like the "D" tie down ring at the rear of the bed. Very handy I'm sure.

Yes very handy when I was hauling light weight aluminum sheets to recycling. Those "D" tie downs are on every corner of the bed.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

skip2th wrote:
MrWhoopee wrote:
skip2th wrote:

Is that the fabled and legendary genuine truck bumper?

Indeed it is! I was very fortunate that it was still with the truck. I understand they are difficult to find and are a little different from a rear bumper that came on a non truck, bus.

Truck bumpers were only different on the early trucks. All trucks 1961 and newer have the exact same bumper that is found on a bus of the same year.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Truck bumpers were only different on the early trucks. All trucks 1961 and newer have the exact same bumper that is found on a bus of the same year.

Good to know. Now I can quit worrying about the repro on my '63.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
I bought this truck to be used when needed. Friday night and Saturday morning it hauled 1200 pounds of top soil in different arrangements.

Have you ever investigated going to a local nursery and purchasing a half yard of soil instead of buying individual bags?

It’s usually more cost effective and they usually can just dump it right in the bed with a front loader.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
iubhounds wrote:
I bought this truck to be used when needed. Friday night and Saturday morning it hauled 1200 pounds of top soil in different arrangements.

Have you ever investigated going to a local nursery and purchasing a half yard of soil instead of buying individual bags?

It’s usually more cost effective and they usually can just dump it right in the bed with a front loader.

I thought about that option and have had it done that way years ago with a different truck. Now I'd rather spend more money for bags which is a cleaner job. I hate shoveling dirt or gravel from a truck bed or anywhere else and my lower back and new hip hates it worse. This made the job simpler and cleaner.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
HMVWNAB wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

I thought about that option and have had it done that way years ago with a different truck. Now I'd rather spend more money for bags which is a cleaner job. I hate shoveling dirt or gravel from a truck bed or anywhere else and my lower back and new hip hates it worse. This made the job simpler and cleaner.

Did you get tired of Sierra Vista? I didn’t realize you’d moved.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Did you get tired of Sierra Vista? I didn’t realize you’d moved.

No, I hated leaving Sierra Vista actually the the mountain views from the patio but things changed drastically after January. I couldn't ride my bikes, hike or take the Montezuma Pass drive in areas that I use to go. Increased activity due to location near border made me decided to get out while the real estate prices were good. It is not going to get better down there. So I sold my house and moved.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Good to know. Now I can quit worrying about the repro on my '63.

It's even in the shop manual:

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

A later rear bumper can easily be clearanced just slightly to clear the early truck rear corners. It isn't a big difference, just a slight change in radius.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

"Washers shoudl be installed between the bumper bracket and bumper"

I guess to push the bumper a little bit more outward from the bracket?
This makes sense I guess, it wouldn't take much to clear the earlier more square corners.

It makes me think the splash pans wouldn't line up with the splash pan corner holes though if you pushed it outward?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
bobrk wrote:

"Washers shoudl be installed between the bumper bracket and bumper"

I guess to push the bumper a little bit more outward from the bracket?
This makes sense I guess, it wouldn't take much to clear the earlier more square corners.

It makes me think the splash pans wouldn't line up with the splash pan corner holes though if you pushed it outward?

I should look and see what my friend did with mine. The bumper doesn't touch the corners, and I know it's a later non-single-cab bumper.

Frankly, they look pretty good without, I know, controversial opinion.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Wolfsburg West & West Coast Metric Reply with quote

I recently ordered key matched handles and ignition for my '63 DC from Wolfsburg West. Very nice parts! After they got here, I realized I was going to need new seals for the handles. I was working on an order from West Coast Metric, so I threw them on that order. When I opened the seals I realized they were much thicker than the old ones.

Today I tried to install the front door handles. There was just no way it was going in, the fit was just too tight. I started measuring things and found out why. The slot on the handle that engages the door was .010" smaller than my OEM handle.

and the new seal was .065", .030" thicker than the one I took out. With the door measuring .090 thick, the slot in the handle was .030" too narrow and there was no way the seal would compress that much. I did the only thing I could.

Problem solved, but I also had to use a furniture clamp to pull the handle in far enough to get the screws in.

How do you do this kind of work without a machine shop in the garage?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West & West Coast Metric Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:

You buy a mill and a lathe and have a machine shop in your garage, or find someone who does. I did the former.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West & West Coast Metric Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
MrWhoopee wrote:

You buy a mill and a lathe and have a machine shop in your garage, or find someone who does. I did the former.

Take the parts to work and do it there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 654, 655, 656 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 655 of 680

Jump to: