Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 655, 656, 657 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Driving my 66 Deluxe 13 window and the clutch suddenly went a bit “looser” on me - turns out at the front of the Bowden tube the connector wasn’t quite on the tube, causing the cable to rub and eventually half snap and fray about half the filaments of the clutch cable.

So I got 2 new clutch cables - the “B” length for split bus walkthrough- and a new Bowden tube since mine seemed a bit kinked. Fed it through with grease and managed to get a good bend in the Bowden tube without my washers. Re-connected the cable to the pedal and managed to adjust the wing nut without taking the heater box off - tight fit for 2 hands…

Happy with the result - but man this is a messy job. I wished I had used rubber gloves and rubber sleeves….

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mikelars wrote:
Driving my 66 Deluxe 13 window and the clutch suddenly went a bit “looser” on me - turns out at the front of the Bowden tube the connector wasn’t quite on the tube, causing the cable to rub and eventually half snap and fray about half the filaments of the clutch cable.

I do love that the failing clutch cable gives you some warning, but I wish the warning period was longer. I've still driven home from the mountains with no clutch. Come to think of it, I've driven home with no brakes too. Driving a bus makes you a better driver.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:

I do love that the failing clutch cable gives you some warning, but I wish the warning period was longer. I've still driven home from the mountains with no clutch. Come to think of it, I've driven home with no brakes too. Driving a bus makes you a better driver.

yes, it does

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
MrWhoopee wrote:

yes, it does

And perhaps more patient haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I'm always learning more about our buses by these posts. I'll now check my cables and that Bowded tube. I was able to locate a video on it's location and install tips. I now see how difficult it is to reach from under the bus.

mikelars, you have done an amazing job with your bus as before & after photos are amazing. Keep up the great work.

Link

mikelars wrote:

So I got 2 new clutch cables - the “B” length for split bus walkthrough- and a new Bowden tube since mine seemed a bit kinked. Fed it through with grease and managed to get a good bend in the Bowden tube without my washers. Re-connected the cable to the pedal and managed to adjust the wing nut without taking the heater box off - tight fit for 2 hands…

Happy with the result - but man this is a messy job. I wished I had used rubber gloves and rubber sleeves….

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Replaced the seal on the rear hatch today

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

That’s funny I finally put one on today as well- bus has been painted for 14 yrs ^^^
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I parked it between the posts on the lift, again.

Tomorrow I swear the engine comes out and the fuel lines get redone.
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
I parked it between the posts on the lift, again.

Tomorrow I swear the engine comes out and the fuel lines get redone.

and it did! of course, I screwed up my hardline-from-tank-to-bulkhead-fitting design and installed it without the starter in place.... so waiting for replacement fittings (one time use compression fittings).

in the meantime - installed a butty's bits throttle linkage and cable roller. tore one of the ball and socket boots when pulling the throttle rod boot over it. Sad

installed the other 2 pedal boots, and new brazil pedal covers since my 80's era aftermarket (with the triangle) covers finally died (clutch fell off, brake should have fallen off, but magic seemed to be keeping it there.

and found one of the split swing axle boots that seem like they had to have been new when I installed the trans in '01 has split. so new febi pair on the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

While cleaning up and moving boxes in the garage, I came across a nice surprise. Apparently, years back I bought some Ambulance fans. Not NOS, but damn near. Haha. I vaguely remember buying some at a Pomona swap. This has to have been 20+ years ago. NFS btw.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Pulled the rear drums off the '62 SC. They are soaking wet. I went to pull it out of the garage(steep incline into the alley) and stomped on the brakes and they went to the floor!! Almost hit my neighbor's wall. A quick E-brake hail mary and a hard full left avoided the concrete block.

These were new cylinders about 10 years ago. Shouldn't the piston seals last longer than that?? Who makes a good rebuild kit nowadays??

David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
and found one of the split swing axle boots that seem like they had to have been new when I installed the trans in '01 has split. so new febi pair on the way.

nope. german from busdepot in '05. yay records.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Front disc Brakes on the '66 Singlecab, kit from Brian @ Type E Motorsports, all said & done $1,225, installed, VERY happy w/ them !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Front disc Brakes on the '66 Singlecab, kit from Brian @ Type E Motorsports, all said & done $1,225, installed, VERY happy w/ them !!

I saw someone link to that kit on FB - what rotor/caliper does it use? no modifications required to either? (like the babystang uses a mustang II but you have to machine it if I recall)

I want to update my notes... Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
crukab wrote:

I saw someone link to that kit on FB - what rotor/caliper does it use? no modifications required to either? (like the babystang uses a mustang II but you have to machine it if I recall)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2436021

https://type-emotorsports.com/collections/type-2-b...4739508284
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
crukab wrote:

this details the rotors/calipers they use: https://type-emotorsports.com/pages/type-e-ez-stop-split-bus-disk-brake-kit-instructions

sadly there's not a great market for performance pads for '89 celebrities, so no good way to specifically select an engineered compound. but still - not a bad kit if you're able to find a set of pads that work well for you.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Cleaned up and gutted an old voltage regulator. Used it to hide a couple of modern cube-style relays.

Now I know they fit, I'll make a bracket to replace the zip ties and mount it a little further back.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
David Raistrick wrote:
crukab wrote:

this details the rotors/calipers they use: https://type-emotorsports.com/pages/type-e-ez-stop-split-bus-disk-brake-kit-instructions

sadly there's not a great market for performance pads for '89 celebrities, so no good way to specifically select an engineered compound. but still - not a bad kit if you're able to find a set of pads that work well for you.

As with the Celebrity, not much need for high performance pads on an old bus.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

no, but having a performance market means you have more options when you find you need to adjust your front/rear brake balance (as I experienced with fully functional stock rear brakes locking up long before the fronts would, when cold or wet) by changing compounds. Being able to looking at dyno charts for brake pads and choose a pad change based on the charts is really helpful. It's still trial and error, but it helps!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

no, but having a performance market means you have more options when you find you need to adjust your front/rear brake balance (as I experienced with fully functional stock rear brakes locking up long before the fronts would, when cold or wet) by changing compounds. Being able to looking at dyno charts for brake pads and choose a pad change based on the charts is really helpful. It's still trial and error, but it helps!

Wouldn't it be better to install an adjustable proportioning valve?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 655, 656, 657 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 656 of 680

Jump to: