Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 663, 664, 665 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

It’s just parts and line. But, use the copper/ nickel tubing. Buy a flaring tool.
The AN 4 fittings are available all over the net. Push lock hose if you don’t want to use hose clamps. I think the German woven will work w/o clamps if you have a stock fuel pump.

I admit to going on the Airkewled site and following there component picture to establish the parts list. After buying the tools (flares, benders, etc) and materials I only saved about $25. But I have the tools and experience. I’m branching out into brake line next.

Cheers,

dgsaz
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

It was last weekend but over the past couple of years I've gotten to know some extended family in Chattanooga, TN. (about 170miles away) Some I hadn't seen since I was a child, some I'd never met. One cousin (second cousin technically) and I realized we have a lot in common and talk regularly. Last year he ended up with a '60 ragtop Beetle and naturally we talk more and more. His 30th b'day was last weekend so my grandmother and I drove up in my Bus and spent the weekend. She mostly with her sister, me mostly with my cousin and his family. It's been so great to get to know family better. We spent one day mostly cruising around. I let him drive my Bus and now he wants a Bus too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Picked up a 62 single cab. Gas tank was leaking multiple spots, Po said they filled it up with fuel and didn’t know it leaked Confused but it was obvious to me with the wet and major smell. It also had no strapping at all. At any rate, I pulled it and ordered new www tank. Also, both treasure chest doors held by bailing wire. I found a matching pair of really nice latches using thesamba wtb. It drives but I many things to fix. Enjoy!

70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim

Last edited by RBurn on Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
Picked up a 62 single cab. Gas tank was leaking multiple spots, Po said they filled it up with fuel and didn’t know it leaked Confused but it was obvious to me with the wet and major ... It drives but I many things to fix. Enjoy!

wow, that looks pretty nice. good call on installing a new tank. peace of mind.

Every time i look at how the gas tank is installed in the single cabs i wonder why they did it that way.
in the regular space they could have put a much larger tank without any downside at all.

Another option would have been to move it on the tray farther back, which would increase treasure chest storage by quite a bit.

i would have told them, but they did not ask me, not having been born and alll Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I finally got around to fixing my idle stalling when it's cooler and high humidity ! The first shows the carb heat locked out for hot weather . The middle picture shows it in automatic operation and the last shows the part that I welded to fix what I had broken last summer 😒

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

^^^ It's amazing how much that little flap can change cold/damp weather performance.

Curious, what is the date stamp on the flap? Should look something like this...

amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago new 8ply tires 185R14 for my 1967 Westy and today a Bosch Vacuum Advance Distributor.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Looking good for spring camping Amishman.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Looking good for spring camping Amishman.

Thanks!

The goal today is to drain the transmission and do a complete refill, and if I find more time, replace my speedo cable.

After that, either buy and install a more time correct and good fuel pump or do my rear brakes. Probably will do rear brakes next but we shall see.

Slowly doing work as I can.

How is your bus coming along?

TJ

Come visit my web site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

46mm Axle But Removal for the 1st time on my 67 Bus using a cool new tool (made it like butter to remove) and drums removed, transmission and rgb's drained, and inspection of brakes so I can order all the parts needed to do brakes as well and fix as leaking gear oil it appears from the seals as it was gooey inside and been seeping for a while.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Drove it on the road for the first time since November. I had run it up and down the driveway in winter every couple of weeks, but I wait until spring rains remove the last road salt before taking it out on the street. The first drive in April, the bus feels fragile and I am listening to every new sound it makes. Then I reflect that it completed a 6000 mile trip before I put it away in the fall, and it will probably do so again.

So I filled it up with expensive gasoline and then changed the oil on my return. Tomorrow it takes an old toilet to the Habitat ReStore. Back to treating it like an everyday vehicle.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Awesome, to hear and your Westy looks great Amishman.

What is that cool new tool? Always good to learn a bit more.

amishman wrote:
46mm Axle But Removal for the 1st time on my 67 Bus using a cool new tool (made it like butter to remove) and drums removed, transmission and rgb's drained, and inspection of brakes so I can order all the parts needed to do brakes as well and fix as leaking gear oil it appears from the seals as it was gooey inside and been seeping for a while.

TJ

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Klutch Torque Multiplier, and will say, made my life easier.

I am growing past doing things that will cause me bodily harm. haha.

So found this device and gave it a try and loved it!

Not for everyone as it is not cheap but for me, worth the price.

TJ

Link

[quote="LAGrunthaner"]Awesome, to hear and your Westy looks great Amishman.

[quote="amishman"]46mm Axle But Removal for the 1st time on my 67 Bus using a cool new tool (made it like butter to remove) and drums removed, transmission and rgb's drained, and inspection of brakes so I can order all the parts needed to do brakes as well and fix as leaking gear oil it appears from the seals as it was gooey inside and been seeping for a while.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Rear brake components were ordered for my 1967 along with rear-wheel seal kit to halt the dripping of fluids onto my brakes. Confused

Hoping most arrive by Friday but may be next week.

Want to get cranking on getting things done!

TJ

Come visit my web site!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This happened several weeks ago.

My ’65 needed gas today so I went to my local Chevron to purchase fuel. Two 2.5 gallon gas cans also needed filled for yardwork tools. I put the gas cans in the side door on a plastic tray in case I spill. I had to back in to the pump to access my fuel door and side door so I left plenty of room to swing open and maneuver around. As I was backing a stander-by was directing me with hand motions that made no sense as he didn’t realize I needed to give the pump wide berth. His bicycle was upside-down and he was wearing camo-fatigues. Clean face his hair was beyond his shoulders.

He spoke, “I love you”. I acknowledged him but was leery to engage him too far as there are panhandlers that I usually give spare-change but I wanted to see what he was up to so I could go about my task.

As I got the pump ready he began to correct himself and say, “I love your …vehicle…” .

I nodded, thanked him and assumed he was not missing too many brain cells, just dorky. As I started to pump gas he began telling me while highly animated and peering inside my windshields about how he had a bus several years ago and was driving in an emergency to get his pregnant wife to the hospital to birth their child in the pouring rain at night but a vehicle had hydroplaned and spun wildly ahead of him. I knew by his body language he was telling the truth as he mimicked the close-to-the-windshield terror grip as he looked out and down to the ground below while simulating the brake pedal panic. We laughed together. He had grown white and pale reliving the experience. As I continued my gas station duty he jabbered and rocked on his now upright bicycle.

When I had finished and made sure all the gas caps were secure he stood focusing between the front of my bus and my face. He slowly turned to me and asked, “Where all have you stopped?”. I wasn’t sure what he meant as we stared quizzically at each other when he suddenly relaxed, stared deep into my eyes, took a breath and said, “You’re a Time Traveler, right?”.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

“You’re a Time Traveler, right?”.

Duh!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Nice video Amishman I even started from the beginning. Awesome tool to save your health. Also good stage presence in front of the camera. Your Westy looks great, like it rolled off the showroom floor. Is it an early 67 with the pointed front bumper and slash in rear?

[quote="amishman"]Klutch Torque Multiplier, and will say, made my life easier.

TJ

Link

[quote="LAGrunthaner"]Awesome, to hear and your Westy looks great Amishman.

amishman wrote:

TJ

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind compliment. Yeh, I guess I like to make videos on retro computers and gaming systems so enjoy making videos like these. hah.

My bus was born in December 1966 so not sure if that is considered early or not, but think the rear bumper is not the correct year bumper as someone in the Samba Facebook group pointed that out to me.

I really did not know that. As there is some cracking paint where Bondo was once put on the rear corner, my guess as some point that number was replaced.

Rear brake work not going as planned today as I keep rounding off the brake lines so more work for me now. Oh well. haha

TJ

[quote="LAGrunthaner"]Nice video Amishman I even started from the beginning. Awesome tool to save your health. Also good stage presence in front of the camera. Your Westy looks great, like it rolled off the showroom floor. Is it an early 67 with the pointed front bumper and slash in rear?

[quote="amishman"]Klutch Torque Multiplier, and will say, made my life easier.

TJ

Link

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Awesome, to hear and your Westy looks great Amishman.

amishman wrote:

TJ

Come visit my web site!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Decided to discover why there was always a drip at my oil cover and my pressure relief fitting. While changing oil, torquing the heads' bottom row and a valve adjust I examined the two items.

The oil relief had a crush washer that didn't seal well againt pits.

I talked to Paradise VW Motorsports and Jason gave me his latest fix.
Solid new on the left with wimpy crush on the right.

I found a better way to tighten the fitting using a hard washer. Also discovered the pressure spring rides against the plunger instead of inside. I always assumed the spring was inside.

My old oil cover on the left had a slope to the stamping thus not allowing the acorn nuts to sit square against the cover. New flat shaped cover on the right with better drain plug seal and acorn nuts sit perfectly square.

After many test miles and hot oil the two items seem to not drip at all.

Mundane I know but a happiness maker for me.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Nice video Amishman I even started from the beginning. Awesome tool to save your health. Also good stage presence in front of the camera. Your Westy looks great, like it rolled off the showroom floor. Is it an early 67 with the pointed front bumper and slash in rear?

You might confusing the '65 with a pointed rear and slash front.

66-67 never had slash bumpers.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 663, 664, 665 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 664 of 680

Jump to: