Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 667, 668, 669 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

The 306 Kombi took to popping out of fourth gear a month or so ago.
I thought it quite considerate of it to wait to close to the end of bus season to commence it's shenanigans. The diff had been singing a little too loud as well, so it was time.

I am exceedingly grateful to have shop privilege's at this facility!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Out with the old. Had to swap the backing plates and nosecone as required for a big nut tunnel in a split case bus.

In with the "new"

A couple small setbacks (which is to be expected), but the bus is back rolling and happy!

While I had the running gear out, I checked the crankshaft end play, replaced the main seal and flywheel O ring, adjusted the valves and changed the oil.

Heck, all my winter work for the bus is done in November!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Looks like a familiar spot
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Drove my 66 standard microbus Pearl white over velvet green OG paint with patina for the first time in almost 25 years on this past Monday. Drove with a neighbor to put gas in it and up town to the grocery store for a plate lunch. My little town population of about 25,000. Apparently I was more noticed than I thought. Today I drove it to the city hall to pay a water bill and a lady there wanted my name and contact info as someone in town wanted to rent my bus for a photo shoot. I got their name and number and told her I would consider it. Wow. So far in 2 days the long dormant odometer is again turning and I've rolled 32 miles on the old bus I've owned since about 1989. It's a very long story of life, frustration and friendship that has suddenly come to a very bittersweet point. Hopefully I'll share the story here in the near future.

BTR
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Drove my 66 standard microbus Pearl white over velvet green OG paint with patina for the first time in almost 25 years on this past Monday. Drove with a neighbor to put gas in it and up town to the grocery store for a plate lunch. My little town population of about 25,000. Apparently I was more noticed than I thought. Today I drove it to the city hall to pay a water bill and a lady there wanted my name and contact info as someone in town wanted to rent my bus for a photo shoot. I got their name and number and told her I would consider it. Wow. So far in 2 days the long dormant odometer is again turning and I've rolled 32 miles on the old bus I've owned since about 1989. It's a very long story of life, frustration and friendship that has suddenly come to a very bittersweet point. Hopefully I'll share the story here in the near future.

BTR

Please do share the story. I know for sure I am not the only one that wants to hear this.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Me too! I want to hear your backstory!

Your possible photoshoot story reminds me of this... I have been approached and rented two of my Split-Buses together on two separate occasions to a local Concert production company orchestrating huge private parties with bands, food and a definite "hippie" theme (as in guests arrived dressed in "hippie" garb, bands were hippie-like "tribute" bands, etc.). My Buses were parked as backdrops behind outdoor staffed walk-up bars on the grounds of a gorgeous mansion. 400 to 500 attendees, roving magicians, fire-eaters, jugglers, full dinner and free beverages. We were invited to stay and attend the party after getting the Buses staged and we enjoyed the party and were able to keep an eye on our Buses. And after all the $'s and attention that I have lavished on them over the years, my Buses finally earned their keep by earning a nice paycheck each! A few years later, we were asked and accepted again! Man, I wish they would call again!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Re-waterproofed my single cab canvas; I've had this one almost 15 years

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally got the turn signals working on the 1967 Daddybus. Been chasing the problem for a month or so. Swapped out used parts for used parts. Finally replaced the switch and 9-pin box with NOS parts...turns out it was a combination of the LED bulbs that I was running and a bad ground at the right front turn signal. Well now I have some spares (switch and 9-pin boxes).
EZ Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finished up some maintenance on my camper that included, checking dwell, timing and finally a carb adjustment.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

^^^ That is a great photo.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I pulled the engine out and head off after figuring out why I suddenly lost power on Monday.

#4 intake valve seat not where it’s supposed to be. Luckily there’s no piston damage.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

That is intense. Glad no piston damage.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
That is intense. Glad no piston damage.

My saving grace may be that it happened at a low rpm. I drove it to a store and it was running perfectly and when I started it up to head back it was super sluggish. I limped it home, only about 4 miles. I was convinced it was the distributor but as is obvious now, nothing I did to that changed anything.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Pulled my engine and started tearing it down. Compression on #2 was 30, wet, it was 40. Ugh. Tomorrow will hopefully reveal the problem. Thankfully, the winter temperatures are hanging around low to mid 70’s, so it’s nice work weather.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
I pulled the engine out and head off after figuring out why I suddenly lost power on Monday.

When you took it apart was the pushrod for that valve loose and fallen from the rocker?
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
VWAdam wrote:

When you took it apart was the pushrod for that valve loose and fallen from the rocker?

Yes it was.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well, thanks to the kindness of fellow Volkswagen people donating parts, I got the old girl back together with a new head on Sunday. Cool

Link

I even ended up meeting another VW'er who lives 20 min away in the process so that's super rad too.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

A friend of mine finally talked me into letting him buff on my bus. It got dark and we didn’t finish, but wow, quite a difference.

After

Last edited by AS350driver on Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

very nice result.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
very nice result.

Yes, just need to finish it lol
Mr Margaret Scratcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Got my splash panel welded in, which finishes my repairs to the rear corner Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 667, 668, 669 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 668 of 680

Jump to: