Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 669, 670, 671 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Bill can you explain that proper tool as I see an Allen screw/bolt he is adjusting.

BulliBill wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Nice job madmanvan, on both valve adjustment and video. How did you start & stop the video with greasy hands?

madmanvan wrote:
Adjusted the valves - and completed week five of BusLust - my goal to shoot a weekly video in my '67.

Link

I agree with Linda! Nice job on the video, I would recommend it for viewing, especially to folks new to VWs and tuning them. A lot of people learn visually. About the only suggestions I would have for newbies is explaining that most of them will need a proper sized screwdriver to adjust the threaded valve adjusting screw and not a Allen tool. And it appears that your fan belt is fairly loose. How to correct that could be the topic of your new great how-to video! Thanks for posting your video for others!

Bill

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Colorado Bulli wrote:
While not a big deal to most, I completed my first complete brake job. Made a couple novice mistakes along the way but nothing major.

The Schwaben pressurized brake bleeder was the best 60 bucks I've spent in a long time. perfect bleed first shot, 10 minutes max!

Congrats on your brake rebuild! It's really nice to hear that you are happy with using the Schwaben pressurized brake bleeder. Can you detail it's use a bit more? Any leaks, messes and how to avoid them? Any tips for use on a Type 2 Bus? I bought one a year or two ago, but I still haven't used it yet! Thanks for any more suggestions/tips on it's use...

Bill

Thanks Bill! Funny thing is I read in another thread where you had replied about purchasing this product. I was like "this guy knows his shit!" which is why I picked it up!! As I stated previously the "deluxe" cap had a thicker washer which did need to be tightened heavily (pretty much as tight as I could go by hand) to prevent leaks. a couple of scraped knuckles from the bottom of the floor an taking the cap back off, but everything else worked incredibly well. 18 PSI and it worked as easy as the videos.
D-
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I installed new tie rods and a steering damper in my 66 today.

I would have installed a new drag link, however, my first and last order from

"All the wrong parts your car would never need"

they sent me a 66-68 beetle tie rod instead of a drag link. Their return policy isn't worth the savings of the parts.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back home after having the Link pins & King pins done on the '66, can't wait to hit the bumpy back roads!!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
turbo_g
Father of Samba Cookie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

When will you show your engine build?

Barry,

Because you asked...While not "today" here is what I recently did for my bus:

As the story goes, I had a sunk valve seat at the exhaust #3, no room to adjust my valves...so I started down the merry road of replacing my heads.

Had all the parts delivered, and was about to re-assemble (with some tutelage from Dan aka Braukuche)...when he noticed this:

He said "welp this engine is coming apart today"...

While the engine was apart, I decided to replace everything, except my 69mm crank and case...

Parts

Me building the engine, again under the tutelage of Dan.

Motor went back in, to my surprise, it even started and ran...until:

Out it came again...and I found this:

New cylinder shims:

And back to this:

Moral of the story, make sure you use oil with ZDDP in it, not full synthetic, and break in your cam/lifters correctly, also don't re-use cylinder shims as they are cheap compared to the time and effort it takes to break the engine down again to replace them.

My first build, did I learn a lot, yes, did I make mistakes, yes. Could I have done it without Dan, no.

TheHatch is running strong again, and has been to Havasu and back on this new motor.
SV2s Member #425
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

nice work !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This weekend I changes the oil, adjusted the carbs/linkage, installed a front sway bar (stock), and replaced the upper door seal (no more rain drops in side the bus). The seal was probably the one installed in November 1967, so it had to be cut out in segments (PITA). the West Coast Metric replacement seal was a liiiiitttle bit oversize, so I had to open up the channel on the door frame so that I could spend an hour and a half using every muscle fiber in my body to pull the seal through the channel and into position. Now the door sticks shut and is hard to open due to the high quality of the new seal...no water gonna get in through there! (water will just have to get in through the safaris).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

installed my flat4 steering wheel yesterday with new red sportgrip 500 wrap. (the color looks a lot darker in this picture than it does in reality. it's a pretty close match to the underside of my OE wheel)

of course, the taper is cut wrong, so it doesnt seat all the way (sits about 1/4" too high). new 813 end mill on the way so I can cut it deeper (thanks chad for the tip).

installed some silver-beige door hardware from WW (pulls and levers)

and installed my ABS cab roof panels (from https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1395327). (just put the original insulation back)

...david - '66 SO-44 #231
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Found some material at Joann Fabric store that is close enough to mesh gray panels

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I thought I’d post this - as I was busy all winter. I set up my split bus with a trailer hitch last Fall with the idea of finding a beetle to tow home.

VW Split Bus - Custom Trailer Hitch Receiver
https://youtu.be/C8_QzBfaQB0

And then went and got a 1965 Beetle

And towed it home
https://youtu.be/zYFnpJfwHtU

And then did the resto from Oct-Jan - but had to scrap the 1965 body because it was too rusty, and got a decent 1961 body

Amateur restoration but it is fast as hell with the 1968cc motor

Full restoration playlist

1961 Beetle
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2qXEPvdnfvEzN42T8JA8zO

VW Beetle - 0-60 in 8.26 Seconds!
https://youtu.be/lkftGYfNyt4

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

today I built a pedal pan out of the twisted approximation that CIP1 sells

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

As I was exiting the parking lot at work, I felt the clutch cable "give" and the clutch pedal drop to half travel. I knew the cable was giving out, so I nursed the daddybus home (20 miles). I took the next day off to fix it (new cable and bowden tube).

I proved that "clutch arm" is one of them multiple meaning words.

David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:
I proved that "clutch arm" is one of them multiple meaning words

roflmao. I know this meaning well.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
Daddybus wrote:
I proved that "clutch arm" is one of them multiple meaning words

roflmao. I know this meaning well.

Same here. We nee done more elbow for that job.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Take pics of it

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Got rid of the Interstate MX-47/H5 Flooded Lead/Acid 12 volt battery in my '67 and put in an Interstate MTX-47/H5 Absorbed Glass Mat 12 volt battery.

These batteries have the correct mating flange for the battery tray.

The AGM is heavier.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
These batteries have the correct mating flange for the battery tray.

...you late model guys and your battery clamps.....

btw, a group 51 fits nicely under the strap with tons of room to spare but tight. don't ask how I know.

Smile
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

turbo_g wrote:

Moral of the story, make sure you use oil with ZDDP in it, not full synthetic, and break in your cam/lifters correctly, also don't re-use cylinder shims as they are cheap compared to the time and effort it takes to break the engine down again to replace them.

Check out this blog: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Zinc/phosphorous are not the only elements to consider when choosing the correct oil. For an air-cooled engine PSI sheer strength and the performance of the oil under high heat conditions are much more important.
I have been a die-hard user of Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 and Castrol GTX 20W-50 for years. VERY disappointed with the performance of the old and new variants of Shell Rotell-T. I don't think I'll be using it anymore.
Castrol GTX preformed well in all weights: 20W-50 being only slightly better in sheer strength.
Valvoline TR1 preformed better and is also a good choice. It's very surprising that MANY expensive/racing/brand name oils preformed poorly compared to cheaper alternatives.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
turbo_g wrote:

Check out this blog: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Zinc/phosphorous are not the only elements to consider when choosing the correct oil. For an air-cooled engine PSI sheer strength and the performance of the oil under high heat conditions are much more important.
I have been a die-hard user of Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 and Castrol GTX 20W-50 for years. VERY disappointed with the performance of the old and new variants of Shell Rotell-T. I don't think I'll be using it anymore.
Castrol GTX preformed well in all weights: 20W-50 being only slightly better in sheer strength.
Valvoline TR1 preformed better and is also a good choice. It's very surprising that MANY expensive/racing/brand name oils preformed poorly compared to cheaper alternatives.

Not wanting to turn this into an oil debate thread, just curious how you are determining the oil's performance. Independent lab testing?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

CD., there is a Midwest guy on YouTube that tests all sorts of things, try him, I enjoyed his test methods. Oils, polishes, tools, etc
YouTube
PF Farms.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 669, 670, 671 ... 679, 680, 681  Next
Jump to:
Page 670 of 681

Jump to: