Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Subaru 2.2 AC compressor replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Subaru 2.2 AC compressor replacement Reply with quote

Has anyone updated their AC compressor to a newer type that is available as a new item. I understand that the fitting would be different, but they like they all mount with the same bolt pattern.

Mine is a Harrison and it died, turns out it had no oil In it. I’ve bought a Reman’d unit and it’s as dead as the one I took.

I tried Subaru and it is NLA. I am scared to try another Re Man. I might just put a used one back in. This is in conjunction with an In Dash air install.

I’ve tried to join a Subaru forum but can not get in. If you’ve been down this road now is the time to speak out.

Having new hoses made or introducing new hose ends are OK.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru 2.2 AC compressor replacement Reply with quote

From subaruvanagon Yahoo group Jul.8. 3.3 replacement compressor

I used a compressor from an 07 2.5, new from Subaru, and the corresponding mount bought used off ebay. The mount needs heavy mods, as the T belt on the 3.3 is way wider than the 2.5. Otherwise it would have been almost bolt-in. The issue is that the compressor has to be mounted and extended out from the block to line up with the AC pully on the crank. I had to cut the tabs off the block mounts and reposition them until the pulleys lined up, then drilled and tapped some small bolts to hold the tabs in place, then took the mount to a welder. (I don't weld.). I also had to make an adapter using a straight piece of steel on the other side to adapt to the outer tab. Also obtained some new compressor hoses which I just used for the fittings. Then used aluminum soldering to connect with the hoses going forward (I was amazed that the alum soldering worked and has held for 5 years now.) I also converted to the behind-the-dash AC conversion and made my own hoses. For a belt, I used the late model stretchy, idlerless belt, same as the 2.5. works flawlessly. It was quite a project but well worth it and the conversion has worked flawlessly.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru 2.2 AC compressor replacement Reply with quote

Would you have the part number form the pump?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru 2.2 AC compressor replacement Reply with quote

Since your asked for "OEM" ish...

Search any of the Subarus that have a 2.2 or 2.5

A search at your FLAPS or on 4s.com will yield results.

If you determine what fitting ends you have you may be able to use the hoses you have otherwise you'll have to change them, possibly finding the fittings at a junk yard. Possibly 4s has a compressor for your or similar 2.2 and you'll be able to keep your fittings. Luckily 4s has pictures of their compressors to compare to what you have.

As an example, searching a 1999 Subaru Forester on 4s returns a 68653 which can be readily searched and cross referenced to other manufacturers

$229 at RockAuto
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3620814&cc=0&pt=6628

This compressor is compatible with
SUBARU FORESTER 1998-2000
SUBARU IMPREZA 1993-2001

.... if you don't find a direct match and want a compressor solution where you could use standard AC fittings without having to cobble together old Subaru hose ends, send me an email for some ideas [email protected]

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru 2.2 AC compressor replacement Reply with quote

Heads up to anyone looking for an aftermarket replacement compressor for their EJ. I realized this info after a ton of head banging and running around to grab compressors from every FLAPS within a 50 mile radius…

Subaru generally used two different types of mounting brackets for compressors on EJ motors. One has a slightly different design that allows for a larger compressor housing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bracket that was originally on my EJ251, pictured just above, has a piece towards the rear of the compressor that is not compatible with any of the Four Seasons aftermarket compressors I was able to find in stores despite them claiming they were compatible. Four Seasons must have eventually realized this because their new units with the same part number now come with a new bracket that is identical to the alternative one that came on some EJ motors. Unfortunately, many of the units sitting on the shelves at your FLAPS were stocked before Four Seasons realized this and do not come with the bracket.

Long story short, check your existing bracket to make sure it is the one that allows for wider compressor compatibility before you buy or make sure your new compressor comes with the bracket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: