Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Universal Front A/C Units
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digging up and old thread, Particularly directed at warren as it looks like he has done what I am going to try and do:

I just got a Behr unit complete and I would like to tie it into my existing unit when I start redoing the westy in the next few months. the unit I have has 2 fans on it and looks like 2 fan controls for a "dual zone" type setup. Am I correct?

What I would like to do is possibly make one switch run the 2 fans in the Behr unit, and the other replace the current switch for the rear, allthogh the rear is 4 speed as oppsed to the fronts 3. Also could the rear temp control be controled by the same one that is on the Behr faceplate? That would do away with rear "switches that are just to the right of my stereo and I coul possibly use that area for the vent install instead of the usual radio spot. I definitly can't loose my radio spot unless it maybe whent overhead, as I use it too much while camping, that remote is really handy to have!

Any reccomendations?
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayak westy. Here's my Advice: DO NOT USE A EUROPEAN COOLER AIR SETUP. We installed one - spent thousands and RIPPED THE WHOLE DAMN THING OUT to replace it with a Behr. Jerry's a nice enough guy, but his follow thru and customer service were terrible. The expert VW shop I had do the A/C work was far from impressed with the setup at all and advised me against it. I should have listened.The ONLY way I would even consider going with one of Jerry's units is if you use a rear A/C in addtion to a front and use a very cold refrigerant like HFC12a. But I think you're asking for trouble basically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ever experience a swamp cooler ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp coolers only work in desert climates
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
digging up and old thread, Particularly directed at warren as it looks like he has done what I am going to try and do:

I just got a Behr unit complete and I would like to tie it into my existing unit when I start redoing the westy in the next few months. the unit I have has 2 fans on it and looks like 2 fan controls for a "dual zone" type setup. Am I correct?

What I would like to do is possibly make one switch run the 2 fans in the Behr unit, and the other replace the current switch for the rear, allthogh the rear is 4 speed as oppsed to the fronts 3. Also could the rear temp control be controled by the same one that is on the Behr faceplate? That would do away with rear "switches that are just to the right of my stereo and I coul possibly use that area for the vent install instead of the usual radio spot. I definitly can't loose my radio spot unless it maybe whent overhead, as I use it too much while camping, that remote is really handy to have!

Any reccomendations?
The minivan craze of the late 80's and early 90's put out tons of vehicles that had dual AC units that where able to be controlled together, or seperate. So I'd say yes, you could have one temp switch to control the front and rear together. That's the easy part of the answer. Now the hard part is how to wire it up. I'd suggest attempting to get ahold of a wiring schematic from a Dodge Caravan that had the dual AC setup, and mimic that. I'm guessing they too had two evaporators (what you are wanting to use) with their own fans. Each evaporator would need it's own temp switch sensor to connect to the dash temp switch you are wanting to do.
So, if it's looked at as one AC compressor driving two evap systems like the caravans (and others), you should be able to make it work.
In Orlando, there are AC shops that go by the name of "Ice Cold Auto Air". Are they in your neck of the woods? They do custom work, such as muscle car and street rod AC installation. I'd contact someone like that.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Any reccomendations?
The minivan craze of the late 80's and early 90's put out tons of vehicles that had dual AC units that where able to be controlled together, or seperate. So I'd say yes, you could have one temp switch to control the front and rear together. That's the easy part of the answer. Now the hard part is how to wire it up. I'd suggest attempting to get ahold of a wiring schematic from a Dodge Caravan that had the dual AC setup, and mimic that. I'm guessing they too had two evaporators (what you are wanting to use) with their own fans. Each evaporator would need it's own temp switch sensor to connect to the dash temp switch you are wanting to do.
So, if it's looked at as one AC compressor driving two evap systems like the caravans (and others), you should be able to make it work.
In Orlando, there are AC shops that go by the name of "Ice Cold Auto Air". Are they in your neck of the woods? They do custom work, such as muscle car and street rod AC installation. I'd contact someone like that.

Yea for the life of me I can't remember how my dual a/c was controlled in my '86 suburban Diesel back in the day, I thnk the rear just had a fan switch though. I guess when I go hit the junkyard I should peruse caravan section- easy enough to do as usually 3/4 of the vehicles in FL junkyards are caravans

I never heard of that company, I'll look into it though. I'll probably head up to Clearwater and talk with Ed@Gilmore enterprises, hes the one that makes a/c units for aircooled that blow I.C.E.ones out of the water. Maybe he can point in the right direction I need to talk to him about getting a unit for my single cab anyway Cool Very Happy
Tiiconaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a crazy idea but, has anyone tried a simple Honda 2000i generator and portable AC combo?
These new generators are super quiet and can run up to 15 hours per gallon. they have internal inverters. They automatically maintain thier engine speed and power output to the most efficient level under all usage loads. (increases RPM's for a few seconds when it senses the AC powering up)

There are just so many more things to go wrong with installing AC....and the compressor decreases gas mileage/horsepower. there could be a way to weld up a mount for the Honda 2000i maybe in the right side air-intake area which is empty in my i4 conversion.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd suggest attempting to get ahold of a wiring schematic from a Dodge Caravan that had the dual AC setup, and mimic that."

My other van is a '95 Plymouth Grand Voyager with the dual A/C and I will check the Haynes manual to see how this is set up. It may be worth pursuing.

Later that night: Haynes gives it about 1 1/4 pages on the location and diagram of the rear A/C with only the most basic of info, and one more page of the total A/C schematic. You'd need to be pretty handy, intuitive and creative to apply this to your own situation, but it might be worth a try. Heaven knows, some of you guys are wizards where these vans are concerned.
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: European Cooler Air Reply with quote

I wanted to brush off the cobwebs on this thread to see if anyone else has any long term, first-hand experience using one of the Vanagon a/c setups from European Cooler Air. Please note, first-hand experience. Not just opinion and conjecture. Smile

Now that it's been several years, I'm curious if those with problems are still having problems or if they decided to go a different way. Perhaps the materials and/or install technique have improved over the last 4 years or so? I appreciate your information.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildcat - check yer Private msgs.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Wildcat - check yer Private msgs.

C'mon share with us. I don't want to go poking in your private mail.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont' think it's good 'vanma' to slam anyone's product publicly on a bboard. Hence the PM. Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
I dont' think it's good 'vanma' to slam anyone's product publicly on a bboard. Hence the PM. Wink

Understand, BUT I believe you already did some time ago in an above post:

dixoncj wrote:
Kayak westy. Here's my Advice: DO NOT USE A EUROPEAN COOLER AIR SETUP. We installed one - spent thousands and RIPPED THE WHOLE DAMN THING OUT to replace it with a Behr. Jerry's a nice enough guy, but his follow thru and customer service were terrible. The expert VW shop I had do the A/C work was far from impressed with the setup at all and advised me against it. I should have listened.The ONLY way I would even consider going with one of Jerry's units is if you use a rear A/C in addtion to a front and use a very cold refrigerant like HFC12a. But I think you're asking for trouble basically.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'ohhh! Well, it was pretty much exactly that. Nothing against ECA personally, but the unit we put in a van was a waste of money. Laughing
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have a diesel (1.6td) in the bus, and have not yet found a way to attach a compressor to this. Otherwise, no new comments to prior postings. With front and back units it would cool the bus except driving into sunset in high summer (and we get summer most months...).

Since then I have torn into the dash (also converted auto-->manual) and found nothing horrible about the installation, except it is difficult to get the various hoses back in.

BTW, anyone have a source for the vent that fits in the radio slot?

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. no wrote:
BTW, anyone have a source for the vent that fits in the radio slot?

X2

I have 2 Behr units for parts to use and the center vent seems to be the bane of the assembly. They break, it seems.....Plus I want black. My (broken ones) are brown.....

I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: New Mexico A/C Installer - Vintage Air Cooled Reply with quote

I contacted Vintage Air in San Antonio, Texas to see if they offered a product specifically for the Vanagon. They said they do not, but they do have a dealer that installs in VW vehicles. That dealer is Vintage Air Cooled in New Mexico. I can't seem to find a web site on them, so I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any experiences with them. Speak up if you do!
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. no wrote:
We now have a diesel (1.6td) in the bus, and have not yet found a way to attach a compressor to this.

You can use the AAZ serpentine belt setup along with the a/c compressor, alt (w/ clutched pulley and the TDI crank sprocket) and power steering (if fitted) and it will all fit under the engine lid. Full details on the install here:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=9599.msg137951#msg137951
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409551&highlight=vintage+air

I ended up buying a behr unit. 350 or 400 I think
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump as the lack of a/c (not lack of a Syncro, Subaru AWD) is the main factor limiting my use of the Westy

- any other options for getting a complete, useful a/c installed somewhere by somebody??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: