Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Does anyone run the 32-34 PDSIT 2-3 dual carbs on a 2.0 liter engine? I'm wondering what size jets work best. The Bentley manual outlines what the jet sizes are on the 1700 and 1800 engine, but in the US, 2.0 liter engines came with fuel injection. I heard the 2.0 liter engine came with PDSIT carbs in Europe.

Thanks, Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running them, working great Very Happy

2 litres came with carbs in germany, I'll do some digging to find the jet details. The main and air jets were different IIRC, got them from the local motorcycle shop.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too small! The 1800 AN motors came with 40 PDSITs but you can make nearly anything run if you try hard enough. Larger carbs give the motor some air so it can breath and make HP/torque.

Bettter to source some 40 Webbers
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Too small! The 1800 AN motors came with 40 PDSITs but you can make nearly anything run if you try hard enough. Larger carbs give the motor some air so it can breath and make HP/torque.

But I don't have 40 Webers. I gots the stock PDSITs. I am trying hard with what I have, though. Motor breathes fine with what's on there, tons of HP and torque, it is just too lean. Maybe busdaddy will have some good info for me.

Any European bus drivers want to chime in?

Thanks, Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

British specification, 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 engines, were AP-series, rather than AN-series, and didn't have 40 PDSITS. I am not sure what was used in the USA!

However, I recall that Solex 40 PDSITS, were fitted to the British & European, VW 412LS, with 85 DIN horsepower, 1795 cc engine, with 8·5 : 1 compression ratio. This probably had a different camshaft as well, with more lift and duration, than the VW 1800 Type 2 camshaft. The VW 411LE camshaft, from the 1679 cc, 80 DIN horsepower engine, is certainly different, as I know from my own measurements.

I have a pair of 1980~83 VW 2000 Vanagon, Solex PDSIT carburettors, somewhere in my garage, so I shall try to have look at those, if I get the chance.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

I have a pair of 1980~83 VW 2000 Vanagon, Solex PDSIT carburettors, somewhere in my garage, so I shall try to have look at those, if I get the chance.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Yes, thanks. I'd appreciate it.

Tim
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I know the AN motors weren't in a bus but they did have the 40's on them. early 411s had a different cam, well there has been about 10 different type4 cams and all of them went into the long blocks where they were fitted with FI or Carbs as they mass produced the engines.

1972-74 had 34 PDSITs...
40's Solexes or Webbers or Dells wake up any type 4.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Too small! The 1800 AN motors came with 40 PDSITs

they will work perfectly if the jetting is correct. as others have pointed out, european type 2's all the way up to aircooled vanagons had dual 40 pdsit carbs. i have a customer with an 82 vanagon from germany and it runs like a top. odd combo, dual pdsits and factory electronic ignition. the small amount of carb keeps the power in the low rpm range, which is a good thing. with proper jetting there is no reason they can't work very well. a properly tuned set of stock dual pdsit's is world's better than a set of webers in many respects, fuel economy, low rpm driveability, good air filtration and crankcase breather built in, ease of install - brake booster for one thing - and the fact that tuning information is part of the factory documentation.

a beat up, worn out set of dual pdsit's, yes, they would be a pain to tune, but a clean set of stock duals is a good way to go.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my point is that if you just take a set of 34's and bolt them on to a 2000cc motor its gonna be lean. You have to re jet the carbs to make them work. The 34's limit your higher rpm hp (above 4000 rpms) and I drive alot of the freeway so I like the extra hp from a set of 40's.

Now, finding a set of 34 PDSIT's that are in good shape without worn out throttle shafts is tough in my experience. But you can have them rebuild, new throttle shaft bearings installed and re jet them to run correctly on any type 4.
AndyM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..........
So what jet sizes and where to find them would be my next question. I've got two clean sets that I was considering what to do with....and since I can't find kits for my Dell 34's I was thinkin that maybe those Solexs would be good for the 2L
That_One_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about 44's on a 2.0L??? wouldnt that give a great hp and hwy driving??
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not with those tiny 37x33 valves.....44's are too big
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found it.

http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/113934.html

And

http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/107468.html

IIRC I kinda split it down the middle as I couldn't find the exact # jets, got them from a bike shop and a guy who tuned solexes on Datsun roadsters.

Can't remember the exact numbers on the smog dyno but it's very similar to the 1700 #'s. Gas mileage is good as long as I keep my foot out of it.

Oh and did I mention the torque and bottom end ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy No better boner for the buck! Still cruises at 75-80 no sweat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Clearly, I am clueless about how to figure out appropriate jet sizes. The references busdaddy gave (thank you) have some major discrepancies. One lists a 132.5 main with a 170 air correction. The other lists a 132.5 main with a 140 air correction. Finally another says that a 137.5 main with a 155 air correction works but gets terrible mileage. I'm confused.

I agree with Scott at German Supply that the original carbs have the nicest set up with the good linkage, the brake booster, the crankcase breather, and air cleaner. My throttle linkages have been rebushed and the carbs look good after they have been rebuilt. I want to stay with this set up even though it gets a little crowded in there compared to some dual webers or kadrons, or whatever aftermarket carb one selects. See the pics (and ignore the broken connector on the choke).

Anyway, this is what I have on hand for jets. My carbs originally came with 130 mains and 140 air correction. I have in my stash some 137.5 mains and some 155 and 175 air correction jets. Any combination there look like a winner? Or is this a truly a trial and error deal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dump so much stuff in your lap, I posted all the stuff I used doing mine.

Depends what kind of driving you do the most. It's been a couple of years since I got my head around the whole jetting deal but IIRC a bigger main gives you a richer mixture throughout the range while a smaller air jet gives you richer mixture at high speeds.

If you want a highway bus the closest you will get with the jets on hand is the 130 mains and the 155 airs. Leanish on the midrange around town and a little richer on the freeway. If you jetting gurus disagree, please correct me.

It's still a case of trial and error, your spark plugs will tell you the real deal.

Слава Україні!
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to flesh my situation out a little more: I just rebuilt my engine. Bumped it up to 2.0 liter, 42X36 valves, stock cam, 7.4:1 compression ratio, swivel foot adjusters. Have a header on there too. Runs great, but it is running hot and the plugs tell me it is too lean. I have done the carb synch and tuning several times, and checked to make sure my timing is no more than 30 degrees at 3000rpm. I checked the compression after a few hundred miles break-in and got 125-130-130-125. The engine seems healthy, just running hot/lean, and adjustment of the volume control screw doesn't seem to make much difference.

Scott (German Supply), do you have any suggestions for jetting on this combo?

Thanks again, Tim

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
not with those tiny 37x33 valves.....44's are too big

Those valve sizes must be the North American specification for the 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 & 80~83 VW 2000 Vanagon. Here in Great Britain, they used 39·3 mm inlet valves, like those on the 1972~73 VW 1700 Type 2.

I have otherwise stock, 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2, back-cut & radiused, 41 mm inlet & 34 mm exhaust valves, in my modified, hybridised VW 17/1800 Type 2 & 4 engine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=349053

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=349052

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=349051

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update.

I ordered some more jets. Now I have main jets in 130, 132.5, 135, and 135.7. I have air correction jets in 140, 155, and 175.

Besides the plugs telling me I am running too lean, I took a look inside my combustion chambers (used a flexible laryngoscope from my clinic - pretty handy). The valves are just about white looking. Not burnt, just white.

Then I took my old main jets out and replaced them with the 132.5 size. Discovered that one carb had a 130 main, and the other had a 127.5!! Where did that come from? Don't know, as I have never messed with the main jets. Air correction jets are 140 for now.

Now I need to get the engine and rebuilt transmission installed, and check if this combination of jets does a little better. Thanks for everyone's help.

Tim
AndyM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satchmo--
Where did you order jets from and how much are they---if you don't mind me asking.
Andy
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the jets from Aircooled.net. They were $7 a piece. PM me if you have other questions.

Good luck, Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: