Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

My wife and I were traveling down the Interstate in Texas 1972 going to Willie Nelsons 1st, 4th of July picnic. I was in the Air Force, just bought my new 1972 Karmann Ghia. Heading , or going in the opposite direction on the Interstate was an early sunroof, about a 1960 with the sunroof open, probably traveling about 70 mph. A girl was driving. The dude that was in the passengers seat was doing a handstand, on his seat, with his legs out the sunroof. And.....he was naked. Guess what else was hanging out the sunroof! Those WERE the days.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
My wife and I were traveling down the Interstate in Texas 1972 going to Willie Nelsons 1st, 4th of July picnic. I was in the Air Force, just bought my new 1972 Karmann Ghia. Heading , or going in the opposite direction on the Interstate was an early sunroof, about a 1960 with the sunroof open, probably traveling about 70 mph. A girl was driving. The dude that was in the passengers seat was doing a handstand, on his seat, with his legs out the sunroof. And.....he was naked. Guess what else was hanging out the sunroof! Those WERE the days.

That's nuts!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
The dude that was in the passengers seat was doing a handstand, on his seat, with his legs out the sunroof. And.....he was naked. Guess what else was hanging out the sunroof! Those WERE the days.

No such thing as bad drugs!! Laughing
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

Geez, there's so many crazy things, but my Navy days were some of the funniest and most herbally related! There was this tunnel near Norfolk and we'd be going like 55 in a Navy vehicle, shut it off, pump the gas a bunch, then turn it back on and blow the muffler. Pretty loud in a tunnel and all the other cars would swerve all over when they heard it...Once I checked out a van from the motor pool with only 93 miles on it. I was backing out and didn't realize there was a chain across the aisle, hit it pretty hard and bashed in the corner. When I got back to the boat they asked me what happened and I said "I dunno, it was like that when I got it"...Another time they sent me to get some tritium water in our old 69, 70 step side Chevy truck and when I got back everyone came running outd hollering that tritium water is supposed to be transported in a lead lined vehicle. I was like "Hey, y'all pitched me the keys and told me to go get it, so I did!"...Once our boat was in Groton and at the time it was too big to get under the bridge so we had to moor over by the Fulton (sub tender) and I talked the Section Leader into making me Duty Driver. I would ferry guys back and forth to the Sub Base and we'd all be drinking, but one time I'd just dropped some guys off at the boat and was heading back to the base and there was this guy talking on a pay phone with his car parked next to it. While turning I hit his car big time, picked the driver's side nearly off the ground, scraped it all down the entire side and when I cleared it, the damn thing hit the ground and bounced 3 or 4 times! He had his back to the car and I could just imagine him trying to explain how his car was probably totaled while on a phone call! When I turned that van in, it probaly had 30 beer cans rolling around in it and plenty of herp dust all over the engine cover. It actually set off a Congressional investigation on drug use on subs. It wasn't just a job, it was an adventure! LOL!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

In 1976 my mother had a new VW Dasher sedan 4-door with the large hatchback. A local sporting goods store had a 13' aluminum Grumman canoe on sale. My dad agreed to buy it, and my cousin and I drove the Dasher there to pick it up. We moved the right front seat forwards and rotated the backrest to its most upright position. Folded down the rear seats to make a flat floor. That enabled us to load at least half of the canoe inside. I sat in the back and held the front of the canoe down. We tied a red rag to the rear of the canoe which has hanging at least 5' out the back. Drove with the hatch open on the highway. We rolled down all windows so that the car's exhaust would not get drawn into the cabin but could still feel/smell some of it. Made it home OK; luckily only about 5 miles away.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

Sorry. Nothing to do with VWs except my bus was broken down at the time, thus the story. The ex and I put a Honda 90 three wheeler rear wheels in the back of out Toyota Starlet and tied the hatch down to the front wheel hanging out. Most of our camping gear and one kid in the car and drove from San Diego out to Glamis for the weekend. Lots of people gave the thumbs up on the way out and back.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

Put a car into a creek by accident off-roading. Flagged down a truck with tow cables to pull it out. The truck needed more weight so 5 of us climbed into the bed and applied our weight.

Drove 3 hours in a white-out blizzard for a sandwich and beer. A cop wanted to pull us over, did 60 MPH in an Audi AllRoad when the rest of traffic couldn't do 15 MPH, cop gave up.

Got pulled over doing 96 in a 25 school zone with students actively walking. The kid driving the car was the chief of police's son and got off with a warning.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

In Melbourne Australia many years ago myself and two friends wrote off a Ford falcon xc ute, the mad max type. This was on the main St kilda highway which has 2 tram tracks in the centre of the highway. My friend was driving, I was instructing as he never drove before, I told him to turn right at next turn which he misheard as turn right immediately. We bounced over the tram tracks in a 180° spin and hit a pole with the left rear side of the ute, the pole stopped the spin and left us stopped right across the two tram tracks. The impact broke the back axle so we were stranded although the motor was still running and throwing out a lot of smoke as always. By now there were a few trams held up by us and a crowd were starting to gather.
Best and only thing to do was grab our tools from the back of the ute and run.

Years later I heard the guys we bought the ute from were still getting letters about the incident. Sad ending to a great ute and having no money to replace it was pretty shit too.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the craziest thing you've ever done in a car? Reply with quote

1976 , my Best friend & I Saturday afternoon January Blizzard 12 " snowing white out conditions , Peppermint Shnoops in a Bota bag hanging on the roll bar ,Dune buggy 40hp TeePee header Stinger, suburban neighborhood , we were the only car running around Drifting until the Cop shows up,, I started to slow down to pull over, My buddy Ted reaches across and steps on the throttle ,, Yelling "don't Stop ,They can't catche us" Laughing we took off lost them quickly ,, Saw them on the next street over, Ted sez, "fallow them"So we did,, ,, until it got boring Rolling Eyes We headed back home and hid the buggy behind the small barn/Shed Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: