Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Jim's VW
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: June 01, 2016
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama Reply with quote

Jims VW in Leeds, Alabama
http://www.jimsaircooled.com

I bought a rebuilt long block from Jim and he is a good guy. He has a lot of parts cars available and he sells other new parts, but he is really a good engine builder and has many years of experience. He is in Leeds, which is just east of Birmingham off of I20. He can give you the directions to his place because it is off of the main highways. Highly recommended.
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Jim's VW Reply with quote

I bought a new 2180cc motor from Jim. When I recieved the motor it had no compression what so ever. So I had a local professional engine builder tear it down. Here is a list of things wrong with the motor.
1. Carb is a 40mm not a 44mm as advertised.
2. The cam was a used Engle 120 not a new VZ 15 As advertised
3. Piston and cylinders were 90.5mm not 92mm as advertised.
4. The crank had .02 end play should be .03 to .05.
5.Deck Height on 1&2 cylinders is .009, deck height on 3 & 4 cylinders is .025
6. Oil full flow was plugged with a pice of rubber not a pipe plug as necessary.
7. Piston and cylinder weight varied 12 grams form high to low.
8. Cam gears were bent.
9. All bearings were used.
Basically I got scammed out of $3,000.00 by Jim. He sold me a used motor that was advertised new and is a 2110cc not a 2180cc. I would highly recommend not buying anything from this man he can not be trusted. Evil or Very Mad
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim is a great guy I have delt with him for many years...
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man can not be trusted. I have all the proof and heart ache to show for it. If you happen to foolish enough (as I was) to buy a motor from this man, I highly recomended tearing it down and making sure you get exactly what you pay for. Not only the parts but the workmanship as well.
I mean I have a set of gears that came out of the supposed new motor that Jim built that are so bent you can't even time the cam. To this day I don't know how he even got the motor to run. Better yet take it back and get your money back, beleive me I could have had two motors built for the amount of money I spent to get his supposed new motor to work. Evil or Very Mad
gobaktosleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother dropped his single cab in for a "estimate" and after two weeks with out hearing a word from Jim my brother called only to find out he had pulled the motor (without permission) and wanted $1,500 to put it back in and fix the problem. The truck was running and driving when it was left there and had to be trailered home when picked up. It also had a brand new carburator stolen from it and Jim replaced it with an old rusty one (like we wouldn't notice it). Upon confrontation he denied it all (but gave him a new one anyway... seems guilty to me!). Not to mention his shop is in the middle of the freaking woods and you just about need a 4x4 truck to get up that muddy hill of his...

- I DO NOT RECOMMEND HIM!!!
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just found out that Jim screwed me again. The only part I did not replace on the supposed new motor he sold me was the alternator. Been fighting electrical problems for the past 2 weeks, come to find out, its the new alternator that Jim sold me with the motor. New my ass, its broke theres another $200+ dollars down the tubes. Thanks Jim (you ass) it has been a total nightmare to deal with you. I recommend to every one that the stay way from this man, he is dishonest and a lousy engine builder. I wouldn't let him change a tire on my car, I am sure he would f__k that up too. Evil or Very Mad

Moderator note:
This thread is locked, please use his other feedback thread at
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231318
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: