Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

don't think the driver walked away from that one!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Any large vehicle-flinging trebuchets in the area? That sucker landed hard on the rear of its roof, or a wall fell on it. Shocked
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Came across what's left of a Beetle during a hike over the weekend. It's buried in the bank of a hillside. Appears to be a 1960-1964 model. Roof folded in, riddled with bullet holes and missing the whole front clip including the dash. Nothing left but a striker plate.
I thought it could possibly be some cool yard art for my place if I could dig it out. I tried and I failed. Way too tough to dig. Lots of rocks and roots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1964 Chop Top
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Came across what's left of a Beetle during a hike over the weekend. It's buried in the bank of a hillside. Appears to be a 1960-1964 model. Roof folded in, riddled with bullet holes and missing the whole front clip including the dash. Nothing left but a striker plate.
I thought it could possibly be some cool yard art for my place if I could dig it out. I tried and I failed. Way too tough to dig. Lots of rocks and roots.

Looks like an archaeological dig site

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Interesting...

Time to go mechanized on that digging
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Found this pre 1959 Beetle chassis sticking out of a local riverbank this May. I think the body is still buried in the ground. I could still see parts of the engine compartment trays and the underside of the luggage area.
The surrounding area was littered with the remains of many cars from the 1950's. All put there long ago to prevent bank erosion.

1964 Chop Top
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Found this pre 1959 Beetle chassis sticking out of a local riverbank this May. I think the body is still buried in the ground. I could still see parts of the engine compartment trays and the underside of the luggage area.
The surrounding area was littered with the remains of many cars from the 1950's. All put there long ago to prevent bank erosion.

The end area of the pan looks like it’s 53 and earlier
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
banana split wrote:

The ribs in the pan end area makes me think it's a low light ghia pan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:
OvalinAz wrote:
banana split wrote:

Wow, isn't that interesting. I had no idea low lights had that feature. I did go back to the river several weeks ago but the water lever was super high. All of the old cars along the bank were completely under water. I imaging the chassis is also under water. I'll make another trip back when the river level is lower.
1964 Chop Top
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Dibaltic wrote:
OvalinAz wrote:
banana split wrote:

Wow, isn't that interesting. I had no idea low lights had that feature. I did go back to the river several weeks ago but the water lever was super high. All of the old cars along the bank were completely under water. I imaging the chassis is also under water. I'll make another trip back when the river level is lower.

The later model ghias had these ribs too, but since it has the early style spring plates and body mount area is why I said it was a low light. It is interesting that they have these ribs I never noticed that before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Here was my parts car, I bought it for $115 and sold most of the parts from it and kept a few. It was so rust the heater channels were literally missing. No one cut them out, just nothing between the doors. The body had collapsed on it too

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

René R. wrote:

Wow! That’s crazy, looks like a 58-60 bug. The tree just took over the car!
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2399082
It may buff out Wink

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Evil Clown wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2399082
It may buff out Wink

Swivel Seat? I think so.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

this pic from a CL ad made me think of it in here, maybe someone here can save these.
https://roanoke.craigslist.org/pts/d/roanoke-vw-parts-doors-hoods-misc/7232696709.html

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Pearson's Auto Wrecking, Mariposa California in 1995. Located on CA highway 49 between Oakhurst and Mariposa (west of Yosemite) I caught glimpses of old VWs through the trees to the west of the highway. Then lots of American old cars from the 50's and '60's. I turned into Pearson's main entrance and asked if I could take some photos of their classics, being from NY and usually only seeing much newer cars in our local yards which were much more severely rusted. Pearson's had 2 large groves of ACVW including Type 3s, numerous Beetles, even a Type 4. Other unusual cars were Renault Dauphine, 1950's Rover sedan, a few Borgward sedans and wagons, even a Crosley. Wonderful experience.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW's Rotting Away, Sitting In Fields, Returning To Earth... Reply with quote

Wow! That’s cool but so sad. All those cars are so solid! I was just in a VW junkyard a few days ago, most of the cars are collapse since the frame disappeared and most all of the doors won’t close because all the structures of the cars are gone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 188 of 193

Jump to: