Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old School performance parts
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugly83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Old School performance parts Reply with quote

I plan on keeping the stock 1200cc in my 65, but i think it would be cool to put the same type of performance parts on the engine the same way they would have in the mid 60;s when hopping one up, i just have no idea of where to start. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mkmaxit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a tuff one. I think the only thing back then was done was just a larger carb. Headers back then I dont think were available yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedwell carbs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch 019 distributor, Fortuned headers.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at all possible try to obtain a copy of "Souping The Volkswagen", published by Floyd Clymer. Copies can be very pricey, I was able to get one on Ebay. It shows extensivley what was used in that era. Good Luck. Cool

Last edited by 69 Jim on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Old School performance parts Reply with quote

bugly83 wrote:
I plan on keeping the stock 1200cc in my 65, but i think it would be cool to put the same type of performance parts on the engine the same way they would have in the mid 60;s when hopping one up, i just have no idea of where to start. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going way back into the archives I consulted a book called "Volkswagen Handbook" By the editors of Hot Rod Magazine Peterson Publishing Co...... This predates any VW specific monthly publication and is dated 1963........ At that time Okrasa made parts mainly dual port heads with dual carb kits along with their well known supercharger.. Speedwell may have been marketed around this same time but goes unmentioned here.... Solex made a kit by adding another 28 solex carb you had a set of duals...... Then people also used the Zenith 32 NDIX which was borrowed from a 1600 Porsche.. an extractor exhaust was available from a place called Scientific Automotive, Pasadena

Next up the centrifugal advance distributor either a 010 or 019. By far the easiest and cheapest performance improvement came from a simple main jet change on the stock carb, they went up just a little from 122.5 to 125 or 127.5......... They did go further using original Empi parts not the cheap Chinese shit now available and finally would up getting about 68 hp on the dyno...... The section on cams was interesting as well

Ok the book is 44 years old and may not be available just everywhere, I'd be willing to share this info if you contact me privately..

Jim-
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find "How to Hot Rod VW Engines" by Bill Fisher. High Tech late 60's!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headers were available way back in the 36 horse days. The real go fast guys used Judsen Super chargers. They are still around and once in a while they show up on ebay. They arn't cheap and you need to make sure you get ALL the pieces.

The biggest thing to understand is the guys that were racing these things couldn't make many changes. The rules didn't allow it. The guys doing road raceing found if they did make changes they got put so far up in the classes, they were less competitive then before the change.

A roll bar, old style latch type seat belts, circles on the doors, headers and you about have the full race set up from the early 60's. Allied Motorsports can help with the belts and the roll bar.
http://www.alliedmotorsports.us/id3.html

The roll bar for a beetle isn't on the catalog list, but they can get you one. Mention you saw them on the Samba and they'll give you a discount!
mike warnock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this link http://home.flash.net/~bobgh/motorsports.htm to a picture and brief description of a racing VW from 1965.

Anti-Trend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back in the classifieds there was some scat dual progressive carbs for a sigle port for sale, those would have been cool tp put on your motor. The guy wanted something like 400 bucks or something
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Old School performance parts Reply with quote

bugly83 wrote:

BIG subject that could have your head spinning in no time. What did they do back in the day? There were any number of companies offering anything from "Jet Igniter" spark plugs for a few dollars to a full Okrasa engine for big bucks.

What gave you the biggest kick for the least money... a Judson Supercharger. While other hop-up companies were selling their goodies in the hundreds the Judson Company shifted 70,000 units Exclamation

Why did they sell so many?

You simply bolted them on...you utilised the existing stock parts and you didn't need to be an Einstein to get them running well. Don't get me wrong, they're not made for the drag strip. They were made for the average VW owner who wanted his slug-bug to perform better without sacrificing reliability.

Standard 40hp Bug: 0-60mph...28seconds.
Judson powered 40hp: 0-60mph...18seconds.

Today you'll find all kinds of Judson Supercharger Kits for sale...mostly crap, a few OK...still fewer, good. If you want perfect, you pay good money for a NOS kit or get one from a recommended restorer on our website.

That's Judsons

...others will come along a tell you to go for this or that but you have to weigh up how much you have to spend, how much extra performance you want and how it fits in with your knowledge and mechanical capabilities.

Good Luck...Vintage Speed is a big subject. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, speaking of Judsons, what do you recommend for jet sizes in the Judson'd Solex carb, I have seen the special jet for sale but haven't heard what size it is and my Judson instruction sheet says to leave the main jet size stock ? years ago I made a crude adjustable main jet which sort of worked but I just reinstalled my setup last night for a little drag racing at a NHRA track and its a bit unnerving to hear a 36 HP engine pinging on 92 octane gas !

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
John, speaking of Judsons, what do you recommend for jet sizes in the Judson'd Solex carb, I have seen the special jet for sale but haven't heard what size it is and my Judson instruction sheet says to leave the main jet size stock ? years ago I made a crude adjustable main jet which sort of worked but I just reinstalled my setup last night for a little drag racing at a NHRA track and its a bit unnerving to hear a 36 HP engine pinging on 92 octane gas !

Hi Bill,

The special jet you are talking about is the "Air Correction Jet" which came with the 36hp Judson Kit. You had to replace the stock .195 with a replacement .140 to enrich the mixture.

It's true you don't need to mess too much with the stock "Main Jet" but in my experience they can vary from 117.5 to 122.5 anyway. Check what you have. I would always err on the rich side so try a 122.5 to start with but make sure you change that "Air Correction Jet" to a 140.

Oh yeah make sure you have the stronger fuel pump spring too for the 36hp version. George Folchi ([email protected]) will be able to help you with the spring and jets.
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks for the quick answer, I have snapped off a few of those air correction jets in my time, will make sure to warm mine up away from fuel before I ruin yet another carb, just never had the right size or a jet reamer and guage as I do now, back to the topic as far as vintage speed equipment a Judson will get you more looks per dollar than just about anything else, sure an Okrasa is nice but its a lot more work and money, note that a 1600 single port with or without a Judson and bunch of 40 HP externals will still look like a 1200 40 HP
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
note that a 1600 single port with or without a Judson and bunch of 40 HP externals will still look like a 1200 40 HP

Just to pick you up on one aspect Bill, fitting a 40hp Judson to a 1500 or 1600 engine and getting it to run well and reliably isn't a simple matter.

The Judson was specifically made for the 1200cc VW engine in 1956 when there was only one engine size. To fit to a 1500 or 1600 you need to spin the blower faster to fill the extra 300-400ccs and the extra heat gererated has to be channeled away...somewhere Confused "Somewhere" being the problem Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: