Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bits of plastic washer in engine
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: bits of plastic washer in engine Reply with quote

I did a valve adjustment and an oil change today.
I found half of the little plastic washer below in the passenger side valve cover. I found the other half when I removed the oil sump plate, and it was sitting right on top of it. It's a couple mm thick, and probably a cm or so in diameter. Anyone know what it is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is, but I found something similar many years ago in my bus, the engine has run fine since so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It could be a dried up o-ring left over from a previous engine rebuild.

A.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the washer was complete, would the the inside diameter be about a centimeter, or the outside? Almost looks like a part of the fiber washer from the distributor shaft.

Paul
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an old valve stem seal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside diameter would be about 1 cm and the outside diameter about 1.5 cm, and then about 2mm thick. It's definitely a very hard material, not fiber.

The engine seems to be running ok. I haven't had any problems. I just don't want to be slowly destroying something where this washer is supposed to be, if it is supposed to be somewhere.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
The inside diameter would be about 1 cm and the outside diameter about 1.5 cm, and then about 2mm thick. It's definitely a very hard material, not fiber.

The engine seems to be running ok. I haven't had any problems. I just don't want to be slowly destroying something where this washer is supposed to be, if it is supposed to be somewhere.

Sounds more line an old valve stem seal like Flat mentioned then...
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of searching, and from what I've been reading it seems people are saying these engines didn't have valve stem seals to begin with.

So the fact that I found one, would this be a possible indication that my engine was rebuilt at some point?

Previously owned:
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I did a bit of searching, and from what I've been reading it seems people are saying these engines didn't have valve stem seals to begin with.

So the fact that I found one, would this be a possible indication that my engine was rebuilt at some point?
I have not personally seen them on an original engine, but I don't know enough to say they never were used on any factory engine.
It may be that the valve guides were badly worn at one time, and stem seals were installed as a temporary fix, then the engine rebuilt later.

Paul
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly every gasket set I've bought has had the stem seals included, I'm sure that someone could have installed them at some time in the past. I did some limited research a few years ago on these very seals (whether or not to install them on some heads I was rebuilding) and the general consensus was that they last a few thousand miles before going hard, cracking in two and floating off into the sump.

Ant
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info guys!

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: