Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vintage Show- VW Treffen in S. CA
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: New Vintage Show- VW Treffen in S. CA Reply with quote

For some time the vintage community on The Samba has been asking for a "Vintage Only" show. I am pleased to announce that on Sept. 16th, Wolfsburg West will host the inaugural Southern California VW Treffen at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim, California. Classes will include Splits, Ovals, Barndoors and "pressed bumper" buses, '59 and earlier Ghias, 50's Coachbuilts and military war era vehicles.

The show will feature two catagories; Stock and Modified. Presentation will be in the spirit of Bad Camberg and Hessish Oldendorf in that it will be held every other year opposite the Solvang show. The Phoenix Club is California's premier German Club and the event will feature traditional German fair within a beer-garden environment. Further developments will be posted as timelines are finalized and any inquiries can be made to Rich Kimball at http://www.bugin.com/

Last edited by 53 0val on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this show be on grass?
Lance Gregory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that sounds like fun, unfortunately that is my wedding anniversary and there is no way she would put up with that.
good luck guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Will this show be on grass?

There are several grass areas that we are hoping to use. Wink
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this "Ovals Only" a la Rich Kimball?

{Opps, <edit> read the WHOLE post John........}

Good news, even if it is in So. Cal. With the recent discussions about the drag heb and BC, I was thinking some one should step up to the plate and organize something- with strict vintage rules.

Lance, you need to get your priorities set right (even if it involves lying about a sick/dying close friend from long ago............)

Wink Wink Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. It seems as though there are more and more modified VW's nowadays(not always a bad thing). But I prefer stock and appreciate the effort it takes to keep it stock or return it to stock after its been modified.

Hope it gets some good magazine coverage.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be making the trip out from the east coast.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news. The phoenix club is a great place and quite well suited for an event like this - and culturaly appropriate as well Very Happy

Now I just need an oval Eh?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Vintage Show Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

The show will feature two catagories; Stock and Modified. Presentation will be in the spirit of Bad Camberg and Hessish Oldendorf in that it will be held every other year.

Guess that's the only spirit you are capturing as Hessich has split busses up to '67 in it Rolling Eyes
Too bad you are allowing modified, you may as well open the floodgates and let all years in through '67. A modified '55 oval with one piece windows, dechromed and with Big Ass Engine is less vintage than a bone stock '63 Beetle.
--Dan
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! The Charger vs Patriots game doesn't start till 5:15pm/pst anyway
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Vintage Show Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
53 0val wrote:

The show will feature two catagories; Stock and Modified. Presentation will be in the spirit of Bad Camberg and Hessish Oldendorf in that it will be held every other year.

Guess that's the only spirit you are capturing as Hessich has split busses up to '67 in it Rolling Eyes
Too bad you are allowing modified, you may as well open the floodgates and let all years in through '67. A modified '55 oval with one piece windows, dechromed and with Big Ass Engine is less vintage than a bone stock '63 Beetle.
--Dan

I tend to agree Dan..................It's not my call though.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note change.........................Wolfsburg West is the sponser, not Ovals Only.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Vintage Show Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
53 0val wrote:

--Dan

Yes that is true. I'd rather to have seen a "DKF Rules" show.......

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Note change.........................Wolfsburg West is the sponser, not Ovals Only.

So is Rich still a contact for inquiries as listed in the original post??

I'll have to give Tony a call.......... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Sounds like a great show. I plan on attending. For those of you who are complaining how about you STFU! If you dont like it then organize your own show! A nice comment or suggestion would have been fine, but your opinions were just thrown out there!

(edit) Wow my post looks terribly out of place now that half the posts in this thread were deleted
Pl@y@ #1

Last edited by DMNCLNR on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="johnshenry"]
53 0val wrote:

So is Rich still a contact for inquiries as listed in the original post??

Yes.........I just talked to him on the phone and he suggested the Bugin web site for contacts. Phone numbers are also on that site.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying such a show is a bad idea, just limited yet oddly too expansive. I guess the market will decide if the concept is actually good.
--Dan
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I'm not saying such a show is a bad idea, just limited yet oddly too expansive. I guess the market will decide if the concept is actually good.
--Dan

Limited interest = limited revenue. Which could be why the sponsership changed so soon.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

--Dan

Limited interest = limited revenue. Which could be why the sponsership changed so soon.

The sponsorship never changed...............I was incorrect with the first posting.

Last edited by 53 0val on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

--Dan

About 4 years ago I looked into putting a show together. Talked to Kimball, Chuck Pisconski, etc. I think the motivation of the show will drive the business end of it. Chuck's show (Terryville CT) is not done for "revenue", all proceeds go to charity. The concessions are farmed out to a local Lions club.

Personally I think if anyone tries to launch a true vintage show "for revenue" it will fail. If it is done simply to propel the hobby, it can succeed if in the right location. When looking into costs, the location (show grounds) was by far the biggest element. Some sites I looked at wanted 5 and 6 figures for a day use. There is a lot more than meets the eye to putting on a show, not the least of which is insurance, law enforcement, porta potties, concessions, etc. For those reasons, you can see what fairgrounds (not always the most picturesque) work well. They have the facilities and the "embedded" food vendors. The other options are private business like sandwich shops, ice cream joints, etc who have something to gain from bringing in lots of car nuts who need to use a restroom.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

About 4 years ago I looked into putting a show together. Talked to Kimball, Chuck Pisconski, etc. I think the motivation of the show will drive the business end of it. Chuck's show (Terryville CT) is not done for "revenue", all proceeds go to charity. The concessions are farmed out to a local Lions club.

And how much was given to charities from the other guy?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: