Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Thing
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Diesel Thing Reply with quote

Anyone put a VW Diesel or TDI in their Thing?
What do you thing would be involved?
Items I can think of:
-cooling system
-connection between transmission and engine
-fit in engine compartment
-price!
I think it would be cool to make and burn my own veggie oil.
Mark
Go-SpeedRacer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be so sweet. I would love to do one, however I do not think it is possible. I say this because I kind of already researched it, and could only find one that had been done in a VW period, and that was a square back. They did that one with one of those old VW rabbit diesels.

The problem is that diesel engines are a lot bigger than gassers, and require a lot more cooling to boot. Your only option with a transaxle would be a Mendeola, those start at $5K, don't think a 091 could handle the torque. I am sure Kennedy could build an adapter for the engine to transaxle, so that I think would not be much of a problem. In order for you to run it on veggie, you would want to stay away from the VW TDI engines, they do not like biodiesel, and would fair even worse on veggie oil. So that limits you to Kubota, Cummins, that make small diesel engines. I would bet that even the smallest diesel would be almost twice the size of a stock VW engine, and probably 30% larger than a Suby.

I would love to have a diesel Thing, just thinking about the torque is getting me excited, but the reality, almost impossible. If you figure it out, please let me know, I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Good Luck!
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dose a diesel Vanagon setup work, I would check into this. Isn't just the bell housing different on the tranny from a 091. Maybe you could look into using the diesel Vanagon parts to go 4 in line conversion and think about what would be different.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, Subaru will release their H4 diesel in 2008. I'm sure it'll be a popular swap once it's available.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but before you run out and go to the expense and effort of a diesel conversion you need to REALLY look into what it takes to make biodiesel.

I checked it out over a year ago and came to the conclusion that I couldn't possibly spend the amount of time and effort required to create biodiesel. Since it has an extremely short shelf life you would need to mix up a new batch at least once a week. Also, you need to get the mix balanced just so in order to run clean, or it will foul and clog your engine. The "how to" on making biodiesel correctly seemed like an graduate-level course in advanced chemistry, and I'm simply not that smart.

Did I mention the smell?

It is said that biodiesel costs only pennies per gallon. However, you need to mix it with straight diesel (which isn't that cheap any more). In the end it is cheaper (if you don't factor in your time and effort - which I do), but it's certainly not "pennies per gallon".

Right now I'm paying over $3.35 a gallon for regular. Because I have a bigger engine and don't drive it that much I have been putting super in the Thing (over $3.50 a gallon). Yikes! How about a solar powered steam engine?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/07/shec_labs_extra.html

Laughing
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rant will get some in a panty wad Smile

WARNING

Dont read if you get in a tissy over different points of view Smile

Thank goodness i dont believe in global warming or conservation. Sounds really expensive. If your into that more power to you

Sounds like an exciting idea though. Just cant get into smelly bio diesel idea. Nor sheryl crowes 1 square toilet paper to save the world. I see her ummm different now

Time will make more efficent or alternative engines. Look at the leaps and bounds in computer tech from year to year. Motors are just a slower advance as there are fewer car manufacturers.

Yet a zillion small computer companies that all make parts for only 2 computer makes ibm or apple.

You have a bunch of car makers and they dont have the competitve aftermarket parts for new cars.

look at computer makers having nvidia thats not tied to dell or compaq so they make best product they can to outsell another video card for those machines. Both can use that same video card do to its a standard slot. When will gm and ford do that

Ever see ford or chrysler use some small companies motor in there cars :p I see this is why car motors etc and aftermarket parts are slow to come to fruit...

Off my weird soap box but i think conservation and all is a good thing just not practical til technology matches it. Seems we havent gotten huge advances since the original type 1 motor so many years back

I hear people in a 1600 dual port bug get 30 plus MPG
2007 cars might get 35 mpg Wow we came a long way in 40 years.

We dont need the goverment to force cars to change we need to open it to the freemarket and let that force change. When IBM let clones happen the computer industry leaped forward like no tomorrow. If the piublic buys it it will be made the market CAN change things.

instead of forcing regulations on manufacturers offer huge incentives. If a car manufacturer produces a producttion car for 7k that is safe and gets 50 mpg they do not have to pay taxes for 5 years. i bet they would have a model ready in 2 years Smile

Right now they all just tune to slow modulated increments they can spread out over years to comply with new standards. More profit.

Do to epa and other regulations a small company isnt even allowed to make an alternative engine for a car they wouldnt have the money to get through the red tape.

I just am against big goverment over regulation and believe in free market. yeah i know conservatism doesnt sit right with everyone but it works if you give it a try Smile

im not against any of you trying or doing whatever you want to your vehicles its yours and do what you want. I just get mad at the way goverment and society treat some things that i think could be handled better and they poo poo on me because i say no im not doing that .... i dont agree ... Then people get angry cause i think global warming is a myth Smile

Last edited by miscreantgnomie on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but before you run out and go to the expense and effort of a diesel conversion you need to REALLY look into what it takes to make biodiesel.

Yep. Building your own still and running ethanol is a much better proposition IMO. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
It is said that biodiesel costs only pennies per gallon. However, you need to mix it with straight diesel (which isn't that cheap any more). In the end it is cheaper (if you don't factor in your time and effort - which I do), but it's certainly not "pennies per gallon".

I have a buddy who runs waste veggie oil in his mid-eighties Mercedes 300CD. He collects the oil, pumps it from one barrel through a filter into another barrel, and then into his car as needed. No mixing with diesel. No complicated chemistry. The only modification he needed to make was a heated fuel line. YMMV.

miscreantgnomie wrote:
. . . I just am against big goverment over regulation and believe in free market. yeah i know conservatism doesnt sit right with everyone but it works if you give it a try.

While I'm no fan of big government and over-regulation, the free market is notoriously myopic where the long term collective good of humanity is concerned. If you were to argue that we are currently out of balance to the side of over regulation, I'd certainly agree, and yet there are some industries which are under-regulated. Balance is the key.

All that said, there's a lot of background noise about instituting a tax on veggie oil users, who side-step the fuel tax when they fill up from elsewhere than the pump. Stiff fines for those caught cheating.

I'd wait until all this shakes out before I went to the expense of putting a diesel engine in a Thing. The savings might not be as much as one might think, and the hassle might end up not being worth it in the end. Of course there are the bragging rights of being the first guy on your block with a diesel Thing.

I'll hold out for Mr. Fusion and the "hover conversion."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When not in my Thing, I drive my '84 300CD Turbodiesel. Happily we have biodiesel on the pump here in Western North Carolina. I've run B20, B50, B99.0 and plain old diesel.

The car runs without drama on it all.

My father in law, a VW wrench for most of his life and all around mechanic's mechanic drags old Benz diesels out of junkyards and usually has them running in minutes.

He has a friend who works for the local supermarket chain. Once every couple weeks he gives him 5 gallon jugs of waste peanut oil. It's very clean, even after use.

My father-in-law filters it into his fuel tank on the Benz's with a cheese cloth, then just drives. It works well for about 10 months of the year. He's said he's had to "pull off the fuel filter and shake it a little" to get it to pull sometimes, but aside from that, he motors on.

As for global warming, I'll throw in my $0.02. It's real, very real. I've seen it with my own eyes. I worked in Antarctica for 12 years with climatologist and other scientist. The data is there, it's real, and now the Bush Administration is actually starting to wake up and smell the stench of of it.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:

As for global warming, I'll throw in my $0.02. It's real, very real. I've seen it with my own eyes. I worked in Antarctica for 12 years with climatologist and other scientist. The data is there, it's real, and now the Bush Administration is actually starting to wake up and smell the stench of of it.

how many ice ages have we gone thourgh??? shouldnt we be under ice right now?? lol stoopid gore
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about global warming.

I will say this though: based on the facts and first hand experiences of actually seeing global warming, I decided not to have children. I don't want them or anyone else, for that matter, to have to suffer through the consequences of our home planet in decline.

Keep in mind, nature bats last.
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i respect others of differring opinions... but these are opinions. To say fact means proven. it really hasnt been proven its idle speculation and there are scientists on BOTH sides saying the opposite. Our measurements havent even been around that long a few hundred years. the earth is a tad older then this. But it sure is a good talking point lately Smile

I respect you and your beliefs regardless Smile Just mine differ is all

we both own things life is good Smile
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miscreantgnomie wrote:
i respect others of differring opinions... but these are opinions. To say fact means proven. it really hasnt been proven its idle speculation and there are scientists on BOTH sides saying the opposite. Our measurements havent even been around that long a few hundred years. the earth is a tad older then this. But it sure is a good talking point lately Smile

I respect you and your beliefs regardless Smile Just mine differ is all

well say.

bmwloco: you shouldnt live life in fear.. no childern??? youre going to miss out on some great things in life..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Water?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miscreantgnomie wrote:

Feh! Now I'm posting on this offtopic thread.

You're absolutely right, there's 90%+ of the climatologists and other scientists who say that climate change is happening now (either man-made or not) and there's a few vocal scientists who believe otherwise. So, two sides! There are some who believe the earth is flat too, so there's two sides to that story as well.

There's a whole lot of ways to figure out what the climate was before measurements. You may argue with any one in particular, but they all say about the same thing.

Note that it isn't simply "global warming" it's climate change. Some areas will get much warmer and some will get much colder. Northern Europe will likely get very cold in the winter as the ice melts in the summer (dumping fresh water into the ocean which doesn't sink properly) and the gulf stream shuts down - no more warm ocean currents and London looks like Alaska (same latitude). Without colder water going south, southern climates get a lot hotter. It's really tough to predict what's going to happen in the next few years, but 90%+ of the scientists strongly think it'll be different.

A great analogy that I heard was that the climate is like a staggering drunk - it'll go one direction for awhile, then go another. If you poke at it enough, it'll wander somewhere different - not necessarily predictably. So don't poke at it. A huge amount of CO2 is poking at it.

Also note than when a scientist says he's pretty sure of something, it's something you can bet on. Scientists have horrible ways of communicating to us layman. They always hedge, because that's what they're trained on. If something is an absolute fact to you or I, a scientist may call it 60% or 70% certain. No true scientist will ever say that "global warming" or even "climate change" is a fact, but they may be 95% certain.

Gaaa! I went and did it! I added to an inflammatory offtopic thread!

miscreantgnomie wrote:

Totally agree! Very Happy

Last edited by Ian Epperson on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:

I will say this though: based on the facts and first hand experiences of actually seeing global warming, I decided not to have children.

"That is the best formula for loneliness
I ever heard"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Ian Epperson wrote:
Also note than when a scientist says he's pretty sure of something, it's something you can bet on. Scientists have horrible ways of communicating to us layman. They always hedge, because that's what they're trained on.

— and because they're never sure where next year's grant money is coming from. Wink

I'm a big believer in the scientific method, but I fear science is following in the footsteps of journalism, and objectivity is slowly slipping away. I don't have the faith in the scientific community that I once had. Which makes sorting out the climate change debate all the more difficult. Throw politics in there and it's nigh impossible.

Wow captain Spalding my sentiments exactly

I was only born in 1968 and as i get older im more leary of things people say then I was in my youth. i used to buy and swallow things my goverment andscholars said now I tend to look alot more before i leap on a bandwagon.

Needless to say... i suck at welding but i can learn from my poor mistakes. Judge not less yee be judged Smile
nightphorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is look at the polar ice caps. They're melting fast. Now I'm not saying there's "global warming" but things are definitely changing. Looking back 100,000 years, the trends show we should be in an ice age right now, the fact that we arn't all frozen to death might be because we DID pump CO2 in the atmosphere. We may be dumb, we may be F$#@ing up the atmosphere, but we may also be very lucky. Truth is we are having an impact, but we have no idea what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: