Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll throw some diesel on the fire. (Like my pun?)

I'm only 17 and I think I can safetly speak for my generation, since you gents are mostly older than me, lemme educate you in the way us young-ins think at the moment.

Honestly, you guys have screwed up our planet quite a bit, you all seem intent on feeding us lies after lies and frankly, our generation feels a bit betrayed by yours. You all seem to take advantage of everything you can, including us. Hence why the streeets are no longer safe. Your generation could play out in the streets all day and night without fear. We can't.

My, personal view? We'll, I've been brought up in a conservative family but am finally having my own views. I think that "Global warming" is an excellent lie. It's THE best marketing device EVER! Look at it, people are scared silly over it and anyone can come up and say: "My product is safe for the enviroment, here's why." Then people gobble up the product.

So no, I don't believe the earth is warming up, the ice caps will melt, the world will change forever and we will all die. Anyone remember the time the Vikings could put cows on Greenland? It's true, they had small cities on the place as well.

You want to do something about it? The third world countries are the ones that are causing most of the polution. Developed countries such as USofA, Japan, and Germany are obviously cleaner than South America and South Asia.

Don't believe what others say, they have an agenda.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, Cap'n, I think you ripped apart my argument. Laughing

but that's to be expected, I made a C+ in Rhetoric so obviously I'm not the most persuasive rhetorician... rhetor? Not exactly sure on what word I'm looking for.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npconnor wrote:
Alrighty, Cap'n, I think you ripped apart my argument. Laughing

but that's to be expected, I made a C+ in Rhetoric so obviously I'm not the most persuasive rhetorician... rhetor? Not exactly sure on what word I'm looking for.

If you will look at last line in both posts you will find you both are in total agreement.

Quote:
The best we can do is view all sides of the argument with skepticism.

Quote:
Don't believe what others say, they have an agenda.

Agreeably in different vernacular, but the message is the same.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the internal combustion engine will be replaced within 20 years. Some of the high temp superconductors and battery systems that are in development right now are simply amazing. Below are some links that I've found interesting.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-lithium-battery-powered-motorcycle

Link

Discovery Channel did a program on this one, Killacycle its called. Uses around 5 cents worth of electricity for the quarter mile. The explosion at the end is the motor blowing its (windings/brushes?) after the current maxed out and melted it down. I think that run is 145mph... Some other articles have it up to 155mph

Click below to see an article written on it.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/04/electric_motorc.html

Whether the greenhouse/ozone/etc effect is or isn't real, current beliefs will push people/scientists/governments to develop alternatives to the existing technology. Even if these technologies have been in development for 20 years, global economy WILL push for these things because the general population WILL buy them. For every one person who feels themselves "enlightened", there are 99 lining up to buy the latest thing that was advertised on the tube. Because lets all face it, if it was on TV, the internet, or in the Bible, it MUST be true.

Bottom line, whether its politics or religion, make up your own mind, do your own research and try not to push your ideas on others unless they ask for advice, it will only start a debate which will go on forever.

Shamu,
Happy Holidays ALL!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
If you will look at last line in both posts you will find you both are in total agreement.

Well, let's call it partial agreement.

I disagree with the characterization that we are intent on feeding the younger generation lie after lie.

I think that many of the youth may confuse the media and government with the older generations. They do not represent us. I am not a conspiracy nut, but I do see the lies behind our government and media. Not a party issue, the government protects itself and uses our media to influence the people.

I try to believe everyone, but trust no one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was annoyed when the interesting topic of converting a VW Thing over to a diesel engine was hijacked. I mean who comes to an air-cooled Volkswagen forum to enter into pointless debates on global warming, listen to "Millennials" rail against society, or read rants about the joys of being a conservative?

But maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. After all, debating personal politics, religion and immigration reform is a lot more interesting than talking about stupid old Volkswagens. "Oh no, I've got rust in my rocker panels!" Boooooring! I say we take on hot-button topics like "what's for lunch tomorrow" and "pre-teen abortion" after we solve this whole global warming thing.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
,,,Boooooring! I say we take on hot-button topics like "what's for lunch tomorrow" and "pre-teen abortion" after we solve this whole global warming thing.

I work in a major department store. I love to ask the saleswomen where the "pre-teen maternity department" is. Always breaks the ice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowstone "will/might/never will" erupt and solve the Global Warming issue for a while:

"Global annual average temperatures would drop by up to 10 degrees, according to computer predictions. And the Northern Hemisphere could cool by up to 12 degrees. Experts say colder temperatures could last 6-10 years, gradually returning to normal."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/article2.shtml
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? Problem solved! Next.
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ever see ford or chrysler use some small companies motor in there cars :p I see this is why car motors etc and aftermarket parts are slow to come to fruit...

Yes. Car companies have been doing this for 30 years.
In the 70's and 80's the Chevy small trucks used a Misubishi engine with an Opel transmission. Geo had Suzuki drive trains, and Kia and Hyundai Daiwoo, Suzuki, Isuzu in the current day have a lot of shared engines and drivetrains.

Car manufacturers make cars that people will buy.
A gutless small car that gets good gas mileage has not been a good seller until recently (well, there was that short time in the 70's when Datsun and Toyota took hold as those of us with 427ci US iron were in line for fuel).
The reality is that there has to be a market demand.
The US manufacturers also have to deal with the EPA. There are motors in the UK that get almost 50 MPG, but they cannot pass muster on our emissions rules so they are not used here.
What will happen is that there will be a larger market for fuel efficient cars. This will fund the automakers ability to change the technology, and we will soon see even more efficient cars than we have now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
colorider181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, and somewhat relevant to a vw discussion board...really. Global warming/gas prices are going to be very influential in keeping internal combustion "Things" alive.
From the sounds of it there are only a couple, maybe only one, bona fide scientists among the contributing. I mean, bmwloco said he himself was in Anartica for 12 YEARS, with climatologists seeing climate change happen, but apparently BIG SCIENCE was masking reality and diverting his perception. Apparently just hearing Limbaugh in your drive to work makes you much more aware of sophisticated calculations of things like physcial chemistry and atmospheric analysis than someone actually present at the site of inquery. As a somewhat recent graduate of BIG SCIENCE myself, when I hear someone say they don't "believe" in climate change or evolution for that matter, I just smile, say "thats precious" and ask them what Santa will bring them this year. Those that need to know, DO. PERIOD. I'll offer a new hobby, like arguing the AMA on the best route for removing a spleen, or telling NASA a better orbiting velocity. I don't disaprove of different theories...just blind obstruction from the unqualified.
This is really serious stuff, enough to scare the fatherhood out of you apparently.

Oh, at least npconnor is involved, my biggest problem with them whipper snappers is their apathy, that and their destruction of MTV. Who the F is Tila Tequila and what does it have to do with music????
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's stay focused people. vwthingboy has already solved earth's global warming issue (thank you vwthingboy for saving all of humanity - the check is in the mail.), AND LEAVE TILA ALONE!!!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was the only photo I could find with her wearing clothes!

Now, on to the more important issue of "what's for lunch tomorrow". Personally I've been stuffing my face more than usual over the holidays, and feel the need to eat something a little lighter. The Texas chili I made is still with me from a couple of days ago so I'm thinking salad, or soup, but certainly not both. Probably just a small garden salad, some feta cheese and a little balsamic vinaigrette. Easy on the croutons!

So what's on your lunch menu tomorrow?
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
The Texas chili I made is still with me from a couple of days ago

I hope it was without beans. Real Texans don't put beans in their chili. Besides, beans contribute to depleting the ozone layer.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Real Texans don't put beans in their chili

Then I'm proud to say that I must be a real Texan!

I've only visited Texas once, but I never got to try any chili. Hopefully one day...

Until then I'll have to keep making my own version. Unfortunately here in CT the definition of chili seems to be a greasy, mess of beans (lots of beans) and old ground beef floating in a flavorless red liquid. It's so bad a Texan wouldn't even use it as pig slop. Sad but true.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
See? Problem solved! Next.

I'm worried about the New Madrid fault going off in my lifetime. Is this the right thread? Laughing

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: