Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked with scientist, real, honest to Gawd PHds from Ivory Tower universities from the US, Europe, and NZ and Australia.

All worked on the issues of climate change.

10 years ago I got the best explanation of "what to expect" from a very respected scientist. This was before "global warming" or "climate change" was hammered in the media.

He basically said "get ready to enjoy the ride". Weather patterns for the next 100 years being up, down, high, low and different. Then, he said, you'd see a stabilization.

"Stabilization" being climate shift. He pointed out that melting glaciers putting water into the gulf stream would alter the gulf stream. Europe and Northern North America may well see a cooling effect. Cooling in terms of damned icy.

What'll happen? Dunno. Can't worry too much about it, either. 100 years is probably 40 more than I'll be sucking air on the planet, give or take.

In the mean time I'll live life a day at a time, try to convserve, re-use and re-cycle and find fun where I can. I also have a good hat and wear sunscreen when I drive my Thing with the top off.

And if I could, just because I'm a frugal bastard, I'd put a diesel engine in my thing. My father in law did it in a camper van before VW ever put one in a Vanagon. He saw fuel mileage go from 18 to 36 mpg. He's still got the engine, and he's offered to help me put it in my Thing.

Maybe I will... once I wear out my stock engine.

YMMV and Que Sera
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel! Yeah! Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
I don't listen to Limbaugh, but Bill Nye the "Science Guy" is my neighbor. Does that count?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seriously!!?? That is awsome! There arn't too many celebrities out here in good old Arkansas. You should have him sign VW t-shirts and sell them in thesamba classifieds.
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If global warming is happening, why are people getting all upset? People whine and cry about how humans are making all the problems, yet do these people realize that the world warms and cools natually? It does that every few hundred years, Vikings put livestock on Greenland, there was a mini ice age in the Middle Ages.

but that's when I ask myself: "what do I know?" Older people snub me *usually* (there have been some pretty neat instances)
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning out to be the greatest thread ever.

Last edited by Fun 181 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npconnor wrote:
If global warming is happening, why are people getting all upset?

Well, for one thing, if the predictions are anywhere near accurate, in a few years my house should be underwater. I'm a bit concerned about that.

Ya see, when they say the average global temp goes up by 1 degree, that means that in some locations the temp doesn't change (like near the equator), but in others it changes by quite a lot (near the poles). So, the polar ice melts, so what? Well, the only reason northern Europe isn't as cold as northern Alaska yet at the same latitude is because of the Atlantic ocean currents which bring heat north and cool south. Warm water rises in the tropics, cold water sinks in the north, and this cycle moves. Well if you dump in a bunch of fresh water (like, say, the north pole) then it doesn't sink and those currents stop until all that water mixes properly with the sea - which'll probably take a long time. That current is now almost stopped, and over the next few years it's going to get a lot colder in Europe, and a lot hotter in north Africa - without any resulting change in the average global temperature.

Back at the Antarctica, the ocean ice melted last summer - which hasn't happened anytime in recorded history - and was only in the worst-case prediction in 50 years from now. Why should I care? Well, that ice was helping to keep the ice on land nice and frozen - now that it's gone, that ice will also begin to melt. When the ice on land melts, the sea level goes up. If it ALL melts then the sea levels will rise world wide by about 20 feet. None of this is certain, it's hard to predict, and predictions can be wrong. But my house is in Silicon Valley - about 10 feet above sea level. What kind of gamble should I take? Say a big chunk of that ice melts next summer and sea levels go up 5 feet - is the government going to build sea walls around all cities near the coast... with little to no pre-planning? When a few million people file insurance claims because their home disappeared, what's going to happen? Insurance companies stop paying out, then the government passes laws shielding them from lawsuits?

If the housing market wasn't so horrible just now, we'd sell and move into the foothills.

So, is this a man-made problem, or "just" natural? People a lot smarter than me generally agree that we had a lot to do with creating this problem, and they're not sure we can fix it or how. But we're not even talking about fixing it, we're still so-called "debating" whether it's a problem at all!

As you point out, Vikings had livestock in Greenland. So who cares? There were ice ages before, and they'll be ice-ages again. So what? Well, we've developed a society and system of government with the current climate setup as a model - and we don't realize how fragile it is. If Florida disappears, what do you do? What does it mean to vote in a Florida election if there's no Florida? What happens when our current arid farmlands become a desert, and areas that aren't currently arid are the only places we can grow food? What if we can no longer grow food in the US? The "great dustbowl" lead to the great depression.

We're not preparing for the change, but it's coming.

Feh! I doubt this thread is going to change anyone's mind. I'd like to lock it, and maybe even delete all these off-topic posts. My next major engine change will be to electric and charged using solar cells mounted on my house. A coworker has done that and doesn't pay a dime to fuel his car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:

I'd like to lock it, and maybe even delete all these off-topic posts.
Good idea. I'll start . . .

[tap tap tap, click, paste, click, paste . . . ]

Ah. Back on topic.
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cheating Spalding!

I see your point Ian, but it happens naturally, there isn't anything to be done. Except those wackos that want to make machines that conver CO2 into other forms. It doesn't seem like a good idea to mess with the enviroment.
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The true environmentalist doesn't care what damage we cause, because ultimately, the earth will erase all trace of us." Something I made up while drunk on rum.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I really don't like diesel engines. Unless most of you guys in the U.S, I have owned some diesel cars, I drove some (other than mines), I see them, hear them, smell them, they're part of my environment since I was a kid. I did maintenance on them (yuck). To me they're heavy, slow, they stink, they produce smokes, they pollute much more than our old ACVW's. I'm not talking about the latest ones like Tdi's, Hdi's, Common Rail, etc...with particule filters, catalytic, etc... I'm talking about the good ol' ones we could fit in our VW Thing/181, like rabbit diesel or vanagon diesel. Don't see how they could fit without cutting a lot in the rear tough. Maybe a subaru H4 diesel like it's been said... Question BUT I'm definetely OK with an idea like this one. I love it Idea :

Quote:
Feh! I doubt this thread is going to change anyone's mind. I'd like to lock it, and maybe even delete all these off-topic posts. My next major engine change will be to electric and charged using solar cells mounted on my house. A coworker has done that and doesn't pay a dime to fuel his car.

Ian, your coworker is a true environmental caring person and I wish I wouldn't pay anything for fuel like him.
Just my 2 pennies...
Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryan sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: diesel thing Reply with quote

i bet i could put a diesel in a thing. as a matter of fact, i think i will,why not?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: diesel thing Reply with quote

ryan sullivan wrote:
i bet i could put a diesel in a thing. as a matter of fact, i think i will,why not?

Do it! There's lots of talk and big ideas around here, but very little action.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be easier to take a Rabbit and adapt it to a Thing body.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfw1985 wrote:
I think it would be easier to take a Rabbit and adapt it to a Thing body.

VW thought so as well. Thus the 183 Iltis 4 wheel drive. Rabbit motor gas or diesel. For some reason the diesel can be hard to register in many states.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish my thing could be 4 wheel drive

http://w2.wolfsburgii.com/downloads.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man what a nearly useless thread..
a good initial question, followed by a few poor negative answers then a few pages of political tirades.

Diesel not possible Rolling Eyes so there are NO Things with H2o engines Question
sure there are...
the VW Diesel would be a fair engine with near stock power and driveability, but a TD would certainly wake it up..
don't expect the 50+ mpg with the TD.. your foot in the throttle wouldn't let you maintain good mpg habits.

KEP has been making a VW I4 to beetle/bus trans adapter for a long time now. and the I4 fits very nicely in the engine bay.

where to put the Rad.. thats up to personal creativity. some would hack the nose and fab some sort of grill.
I'd lean towards replacing the engine lid with a louvered rad housing.
since once it's in the back and tuned you'll only have to check the oil if it leaks.

Dan
with too many irons in the fire
but will someday drive my TD thing project.
already enjoying my TD westfalia.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Thing Reply with quote

Was just looking for pics of a diesel in a Thing, bumbled onto this catastrophe.

I hope no one offed themselves to save the planet.

Any pics of a converted diesel anywhere? Im coming up empty.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: