Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ADAM WESTY, '78 Champagne Edition w/Subaru 2.5 SOHC
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: ADAM WESTY, '78 Champagne Edition w/Subaru 2.5 SOHC Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I haven't had a build thread on here before and I decided to start one for my '78 Champagne Edition Westfalia. I have had this bus since 2000 and it used to be my daily driver. I knew it was built Feb,1978 but I just recently found out it was built the same day as I was born, Feb 10th 1978, pretty cool !

The then new motor, from a company that is now out of business ( no surprise there ), sucked a valve shortly after it was installed back in 2004. I pulled the motor to rebuild it, some stuff happened and it never got fixed. Rather than fill this thread with the story of what happened, read about it here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511092&highlight=

If you read that link I posted above, you will know why I am doing what I'm doing as far as the swaps are concerned. Also, if anyone has any of the parts I have listed in that thread, please PM me.

Some quick things to bring you up to date.

Back in 2012, shortly after my original post linked above, I was allowed to remove ALL of the automatic parts I needed from a totaled '77 Champagne Edition bus for free. So, I will be doing an automatic conversion as well.

I was given a 2000 Impreza RS 2.5 SOHC motor for free and it is currently at my machinist getting finished up so I can put it back together. Please don't go on about the 2.5 headgasket issue. I have rebuilt several of them with zero issues. I use MLS headgaskets as well as have the heads and block prepped by my machinist.

I was also allowed to remove the rest of the parts I needed from a 1999 Legacy with a 2.2 SOHC that was heading to the junkyard for free. If you're wondering if the 2.5 harness will work on a 2.2 it will, as long as I use the 2.2 intake and 2.2 cam and crank sprockets. The '99 2.2 SOHC is Subaru's "bastard" motor in that it looks exactly like an EJ25 SOHC only it's an EJ22.

I will be doing dual radiators in the engine bay as well as putting a heater core and squirrel cage into the stock VW heating system.

I will be bastardizing the Subaru cruise control and adapting that to my bus as well as keeping the wiring for Subaru's A/C to have for a future air conditioning install.

I picked up a barely used KEP adapter for an auto tranny on here for $200 less than a new one ( The guy did a syncro swap in his Vanagon and you can't use an automatic in a syncro ).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pics of the Subaru donor:

My spoils:

Two days ago, I gave Adam Westy a quick bath and I pushed him into my garage ( with my Subaru Forester ) so I can begin rust repair.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:05 pm; edited 37 times in total
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't too much rust on him, thankfully. I got 85% of the rust repair panels on this site from Raul (VW76WESTY) and will be using genuine VW metal to replace the rust.

So, today I decided to start on the passenger dogleg.

The donor dogleg:

I cut out the rot on the outside skin. I will cut the inside tomorrow:

Rough cut of the donor area. This will be cut down more to weld it in:

Immediate plans are to repair the rust, do the swaps, get it mechanically sound and then prep it for an outside respray in the original colors over the winter.

Future plans are to restore the interior, lift it and install knobby tires as well as a "roo bar" and other off road bits. I will likely end up regearing the trans as well.

Here's a quick running tally of my expenses so far.

•Rust repair panels: $250 shipped
•Near new crank for 2.5 motor: $200 ( just over 1,000 miles on it )
•Set of good used connecting rods: $50 shipped ( Being rebuilt )
•Brand new NPR Piston Set: $100 shipped
•Complete barely used KEP VW automatic to Subaru engine adapter: $350 shipped
•Mercedes Tach/Clock combo: $32
•Brown plaid rear cushion cover ( no foam ) : $125

Total so far: $1,107

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: EDIT: lift jack Reply with quote

Where did you get that lift jack?

**EDIT

http://www.snaponequipment.com/ProductInfo/models....l=EELR300A

rated at 6000lbs Shocked That is awesome!
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: EDIT: lift jack Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Where did you get that lift jack?

**EDIT

http://www.snaponequipment.com/ProductInfo/models....l=EELR300A

rated at 6000lbs Shocked That is awesome!

This is my second one, I bought both new. I had the model before this one that was a single piston and it didn't lift as much weight (5,200lbs) and didn't lift as high (only 48"). It also had an open "H" design on the top. I traded that one in towards this one when it came out in 2001. The model number is EELR338A. It's a double piston design and it's rated at 6,500lbs and lifts 52" and has the benefit of a closed design on the top which allows me to use it as a height adjustable work table for fabrication.

When I worked at a Dodge dealership I had them get the first one I had and we used it in a dead bay. I would pick up full sized Ram trucks and Durango's and such.

I forget sometimes that "normal people" don't have these things in their garages, LOL !!

Last edited by Keith on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this Keith! One more reason to do my 77. But for now buying a house is top priority for me.

JMS sent me a hit list of items to get - look for for now - patiently watching.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Good to see this Keith! One more reason to do my 77. But for now buying a house is top priority for me.

JMS sent me a hit list of items to get - look for for now - patiently watching.

Care to share the list?? Smile
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your garage!

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
Love your garage!

Thanks ! There's a more detailed look at my garage half way down in this thread ( page 81 if it doesn't open right up to it ):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...start=1600

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:
Love your garage!

Thanks ! There's a more detailed look at my garage half way down in this thread ( page 81 if it doesn't open right up to it ):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...start=1600

I love it even more, which I didn't think possible. I've come to the conclusion, I'd rather own a garage than a house. One of the perks of being single.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start. The Benz tach won't work without an amplifier (expensive). Save the gauge cluster from the Subaru, tear it apart and stick the subee tach guts in the Benz gauge. It's an easy rainy day project. See my thread for pics on how I did it. I'll be watching!

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Looks like a good start. The Benz tach won't work without an amplifier (expensive). Save the gauge cluster from the Subaru, tear it apart and stick the subee tach guts in the Benz gauge. It's an easy rainy day project. See my thread for pics on how I did it. I'll be watching!

Thanks!

I actually commented in your thread about your tach mod but you didn't reply to my questions.

From what I've been reading, some Benz tachs work, some don't. I believe the reason was that it depended on if they came out of a diesel or not as they used a different way of getting a signal. It seems the majority of those Benz's were diesel and you may have gotten one of those. I read about some people using a stock Benz signal amplifier as well. Regardless, I have the Subaru cluster to gut if I have to.

Let me know the answer to my questions in your thread please so I know if I should even bother with the Subaru tach guts if the Benz tach doesn't work on its own.

There is a great write-up in this link about the Benz tach. You just have to put this link into google translator to read it if you can't read German:

http://forum.bulli.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16199

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
I actually commented in your thread about your tach mod but you didn't reply to my questions.

Oh goodness. By the time stamp of your post, it looks like I was writing a new post when you commented and I guess I never saw it. Rolling Eyes Sorry...

Anyway, here's your post:

Keith wrote:
Nepenthe88 wrote:
Aha!
I came up with an idea on how to "fix" the Mercedes Benz Tachometer. Problem was, I need to amplify the ECU signal in order for the Benz Tach to work. Solution.... Crack it open, throw it away, and replace it with something that works better. Here's a pic of the Stock Benz Tachometer after I snatched it out of the gauge:

In its place I decided to try to install the guts of a tachometer from my donor subaru. I completely forgot that I had saved the gauge cluster out of my donor subaru. It was in with all the scrap wire I haven't got around to scrapping yet. Bonus!! (sometimes it pays to be a hoarder... which I'm not)

Now, installing this is the Benz tach housing presented some challenges. First, it had to fit above the guts of the clock. Second, it has to be positioned absolutely perfectly in three dimensions in order to line up the pin that the needle rotates on, in the center of the hole in the gauge. If it were off a little bit then the screw holes that hold the gauge face on, as well as the pin that the clock arms spin on wouldn't fit. And if it were installed too deep, or too shallowly, then the needle might rub. I decided to forego any attempt to screw the thing in knowing that I don't have the technology to get it lined up as accurately as was needed. Instead I made the decision to hot glue the bloody thing in. That way I could hold it right where I needed until the glue set. I then slathered hot melt in all the crevices and linked them together. That way, even if the glue bond breaks, the tach guts shouldn't go anywhere as they're linked like some inseparable puzzle piece. Here's the front:

and the back of the gauge. I slathered the circuit board in a thin layer of hot melt to keep any of the tracings from accidentally grounding out on anything. I'll probably make a cheap-o cover for it as well. The brass outcroppings are clearly labeled, 12v, Ground and signal. I've since cut off the excess to prevent shorting anything out.

And Voila!! Finished product. Very Happy

This might be the solution to how I do my Mercedes tack/clock combo. Let me know how accurate it is when you get to test it. I am wondering if the Subaru tach will line up with the Mercedes tach line increments correctly.

Also, when you did the Subaru heater fan did you make that a separate Subaru harness or did you have the idea to do it when you made the main Subaru harness?

I saved the HVAC stuff as well with the thought that I may use some of it.

I actually JUST got done ripping the harness and all of those bits out of my donor Subaru 10 minutes ago.

The tack is accurate at speed, but isn't accurate at idle. It says I'm idling at 1500 when I'm only at 800, but the RPM's match at 3500 with the subee guts in the Benz housing. So, not perfect, but... I can always photoshop a new background with appropriately spaced numbers. Bleh! It was that same Bulli link you posted that got me on the Benz tach kick. I also swapped the speedo over so I could have a trip odometer. I grafted the whole thing into a hacked up stock bus gauge plate. I think it looks pretty sharp, but youall'r free to your opinion. I installed some strip LED's at the bottom that illuminates things real well, and is dimmable off the stock rheostat in the stock light switch (This is obviously not fully installed yet):

Subee fan harness was done WAY after I made the main harness, but... seeing as how I have 2 OTHER harnesses laying around in various stages of completion, I'd say it'll be easier to do first, before you actually do any engine harness work. It'll get a bundle of wires out of the way, and in my setup the stock wiring was ALMOST the perfect length. This fan/resistor/switch combo works great and pushes a TON of air thru the vents (See the beginning of my thread for how I plumbed things)

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Adam Westy' might be the greatest name ever.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I thought I'd post a small update.

I have been a little busy with a monthly show I do at the Mauch Chunk Opera House in Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania called 40 Story Radio Tower, so I didn't get as much done on the bus as I would have liked. That and my damn anxiety has been all over the f'ing place because on Aug 4th it was the ten year anniversary of my fathers lost battle with brain cancer.

I have been dealing with anxiety/panic disorder for 4 1/2 years now due to the fact that I never properly dealt with the loss of my parents and grandparents and a few other things that all happened in the very short span of 10 months between 2004-2005.

ANYWAY, on that depressing note........

Todays update:

I got the passenger dogleg repair piece mocked up today! I did this piece as a unit, meaning I cut it off with the outside and inside skin together as they came from the factory. You can see what I mean in the pics I posted earlier in this thread. My phone died before I could take better pics but, here is a pic of it mocked up before I did final trimming to get it to sit correctly together. I hope to have it properly fitted and at least tacked on tomorrow. Sorry about the phone pics.

Last edited by Keith on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiiiiiit you got all the bus AND conversion parts for free? If you need anything to distract you from depressing stuff, keep that in mind Wink

It'll be cool to see this coming together, I love all the suby conversions on here lately, it will definitely be the route I go if/when my motor goes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Keith. I would strongly rethink the in bay radiators. Busaru is having issues, I was having issues, mild-core is running hot....

After speaking to jake about my issues, to make that system sound is expensive. Not knowing my situation, he wouldn't really sell me his configuration as it wasn't tested for my application. I really appreciated jakes input to the in bay set up.

If you get easily bummed out, do not go in bay. I just literally spent my 2 week vacation messing with it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Busaru is having issues, I was having issues, mild-core is running hot..

Not to say "I told you so", but .. I'm not exactly surprised. In-bay radiators *can* work -- look at Raby and JMSkater with working setups -- but there's a lot of work in making them work.

I tried to work the word "work" into that last sentence more, but couldn't make it work... Laughing
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills, on that note, from what you've found what would make the in-engine-bay radiator setup work, even if it is expensive?

Is it the necessity for expensive Porsche radiators and fans, or sealing issues, or what?

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I won't talk about what jake raby told me. I was willing to purchase his setup, but as he pointed out I may not be optimized for my setup as "off the shelf"
That commands respect if a company won't sell you something. My hats off to jake for sure!

That said, every in bay I have seen/asked about runs insanely hot on the freeway. Trust me, I asked whoever would respond

I wish jsm skater ran a gauge on his first trip. I bet he was on the brink the whole way...he had to be.

From my 2 weeks of trial and error (as in 7am to 1am most nights) I can tell you that I am once bitten, twice shy. I don't know if I would revisit it unless I was paid to, and the customer would have to know it would be an assload of money up in smoke.

Custom radiators with super high efficency would be a must...it would just have to be. I have not spoken to griffin or afco on what this would take, but its more than row/core design

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can respect that; I believe in a different thread someone asked about 'why Porsche Radiators?', and Jake responded by saying something to the effect of 'because that's the key'. I forget exactly what it was. Anyhow, Richard Jones (RJES) over in the UK also swears against in-bay setups.

It's been done effectively, so it's possible, but someone with the willingness to find out the key components and share it is the crux now. Apparently the Aluminum honda radiators aren't the way to go, neither are the scirocco...

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: