Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What kind of exhaust/muffler are you running?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: What kind of exhaust/muffler are you running? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
As an informal poll I would like to know what type of exhaust most people are using on their Karmann Ghia's. I have a bone stock 1600 engine in my 72 Coupe. I think I might have to replace the muffler soon, so is it best to go stock or should I look at another type of exhaust? Any ideas as to what the "best" is?

Thanks,
Zack
werka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a bugpack merged header with dual quiet packs on my 71. Does ok, but fits like crap. The triangular flange is poorly welded, so the dual quiet packs are mounted crooked such that the passenger side is slightly higher than the driver side. You can adjust them some...

Recently purchcased an A-1 but haven't installed it yet. Lots of folks are happy with the A-1 sytem, and from just looking at it, it appears good quality. I haven't installed it yet however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered if a header would work with a trailer hitch on a type 1. I am thinking of the VW type 1 accessory hitch....
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Euro Sport Exhaust muffler from Mid America. Fits really well and has that nice throaty sound.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werka and 74Ghia
Do both of you have stock engines.If so ,any more pep when stepping on the gas?Ant better gas milege?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
werka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope running a 1776 in my ghia. For a stock ghia upgrading the exhaust to a merged header (much less restrictive than a stock exhaust) and carbs (dual kadrons) would give you a noticeable increase in performance.
Gromit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas as to what the "best" is?
No idea, but I put stock back on mine. I found out cheap parts don't fit and arn't worth the trouble.
dog_jr911
Swamp Donkey Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cermaic coated merged turbo tuck or hideaway system. also have the "phat boy." nice to switch them with three bolts every few weeks.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneBerg Ghia 1 3/8" header and single quiet muffler. This header has the bottom pipes pulled upwards compared to a generic "1600 engine" header. The telltale of this design is that the triangular attachement flange for the muffler has its bottom edge paralle to the ground. The matching muffler is bent so that when viewed from directly above, it follows the contour of the rear body apron. When mounting the muffler, there is enough play in the fastening holes in the flange that you can tilt it upwards (rotate the tip CCW) to maximize ground clearance and keep it level. I painted the muffler flat black. Very nice sound, not loud at all. My engine is a mild 1776cc with stock-valve heads and dual carbs.
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am running the Gene Berg 1-3/8" Karmann Ghia header and single quiet pack on my Ghia.
GB908 - Collector moved up and special single quiet muffler tucked up under back bumper for best appearance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werka wrote:
I currently have a bugpack merged header with dual quiet packs on my 71. Does ok, but fits like crap. The triangular flange is poorly welded, so the dual quiet packs are mounted crooked such that the passenger side is slightly higher than the driver side. You can adjust them some...

Recently purchcased an A-1 but haven't installed it yet. Lots of folks are happy with the A-1 sytem, and from just looking at it, it appears good quality. I haven't installed it yet however.

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I have a question. I'm running a Bugpack 1 1/2" merged header and am having trouble finding muffler(s) that will fit the Ghia. I like the idea of a dual setup for a balanced look, but don't want it to fit like crap either. What's your opinion on the looks of the dual QP's on the Ghia? Any fender interference?
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running dual QPs on my ghia w/ a 1 5/8" merged exhaust before I switched to the Dansk high-flow flanged heater boxes and Bugpack 1 5/8" Streetmax system with Mondo muffler (the only muffler that fits with the Streetmax system).

Old duals QPs and 1 5/8" merged exhaust:

Bugpack Streetmax system w/ Mondo muffler:

I liked the more balanced look of the dual QPs better, but I can't find a set that fits with the Streetmax exhaust. Sad
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the look and sound of the EMPI 4 tip I had before I got a new rebuilt 1600 which came with a 2 tip. Just got an ANSA 4 tip which I still have to install. I like the looks of the 4 tip with the muffler hidden under the rear clip and just the 4 tips sticking out. I'll update after I put it in.

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Stock exhaust Reply with quote

Good thead.
I'm currently running stock heat exchangers, stock muffler and straight through slash cut exhaust tips and I've got to say those tips make it pretty loud. Performance seems good on my stock 1600DP but I'm an air cooled VW newbie so what do I know Very Happy
I'd like a little more melowness w/a lower rumble at low speeds Very Happy

Banzai KG, whats the purpose of that square-stock bracket bolted up to the rear of your engine w/the all-thread? additional support?

Dave
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
I was running dual QPs on my ghia w/ a 1 5/8" merged exhaust before I switched to the Dansk high-flow flanged heater boxes and Bugpack 1 5/8" Streetmax system with Mondo muffler (the only muffler that fits with the Streetmax system).

Old duals QPs and 1 5/8" merged exhaust:

Bugpack Streetmax system w/ Mondo muffler:

I liked the more balanced look of the dual QPs better, but I can't find a set that fits with the Streetmax exhaust. :(

When you ran the dual QP's, your header and mufflers were both Bugpack? No interference with the bottom rear of the fenders? I have Bugpack 2008-23 (their 1 1/2" ceramic merged header) and Bugpack's Mondo muffler (my builder told me would fit) that hits the bottom of the pass. fender. I want to be sure that when I order a muffler/mufflers that it/they will bolt up, look good and sound good as well.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslick wrote:
When you ran the dual QP's, your header and mufflers were both Bugpack? No interference with the bottom rear of the fenders? I have Bugpack 2008-23 (their 1 1/2" ceramic merged header) and Bugpack's Mondo muffler (my builder told me would fit) that hits the bottom of the pass. fender. I want to be sure that when I order a muffler/mufflers that it/they will bolt up, look good and sound good as well.

The dual QP merged system is pretty old and I don't recall the manufacturer, but I believe they are both from the same manufacturer and they fit with no issues. Sorry for the lack of info.
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:
Banzai KG, whats the purpose of that square-stock bracket bolted up to the rear of your engine w/the all-thread? additional support?
Dave

That would be a traction bar. Here's one of several out there for sale: http://lowbugget.com/thebar.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I custom made a flowmaster for my lowlight when it was still driveable

61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran a stock type muffler with different internal baffles and taper tips for more flow. Switched to a Bugpack 4-1 header and single quiet pack. Put the first muffler back on to see if I could retune to get the same performance, but could not. The header and quietpack were just repainted yesterday with 2000 degree paint, and will be going back on real soon. The fit is good, but I did have to grind an internal weld a bit to get them to slip onto the heater box pipe without using a hammer.

I like the stock look, but I like the performance and sound of the header. Interestingly, the single quietpack is quieter at idle and low speed cruising, louder on the freeway, and WAY louder at wide open throttle.
Not a lot of difference in MPG, as both return mileage in the mid 30's. Since the header lets it get up to redline in top gear quicker, I'll stick with that. Only downside is the loss of stock looks, and putting up with Cadillacs.

Paul

nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2COOLED wrote:
I liked the look and sound of the EMPI 4 tip I had before I got a new rebuilt 1600 which came with a 2 tip. Just got an ANSA 4 tip which I still have to install. I like the looks of the 4 tip with the muffler hidden under the rear clip and just the 4 tips sticking out. I'll update after I put it in.

I have the 4-tip ANSA style, dont know the actual brand. Love the look, hate the sound. Will probably go back to stock, but with taper tips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: