Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare Tire Mount and Laptop Mount
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Spare Tire Mount and Laptop Mount Reply with quote

So, as I have been messing up the garage, I decided to finish up two little projects:

When I put the GoWesty 16" wheels and the Smallcar rear disks on the Syncro, I have been spareless. I found a 16" Passat steel rim with a mounted, new, Michelin tire, for $50 on eBay. After I adjusted the center hole a bit (used my metal stretching compound). I realized it would in no way fit the old spare tire clamshell mount. The other aftermarket ones are clever, but way too pricey for what they are.

Since I have bunches of 2" webbing (it is always falling off the choo choo trains that pass through Flagstaff about 350 times a day), and a horde of sheet metal. I decided to make one with recycled material, for a total cost of about $3 (screws and nuts). IT snugs the wheel up as you tighten the normal bolt and keep the spare nestled in place nicely. Anybody with hand tools and some way to heat a 1/4" rod to melt the holes through the webbing can make this.

My other project was to make a tiny table to mount the laptop on. Since the front table is about as useful as our sitting president. Looks like it could be useful for something, but I haven't figured it out yet. I went ahead and unscrewed the flat plate mount from the table top. I cut some 3/4" poplar ply scrap to the size of my MacBook Pro 17" base, and laminated on an extra 1/4" of Poplar ply to make it 1" thick. I can hold the laptop on the table with two of the mini grip clamps. They have the soft rubber clamp face, so they do not mar the laptop.

Thats the burned out 10 year later, stoner remnants of the Scooby Doo group on a recent Venture Brothers episode shown on the laptop

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slunk33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: I like it! Reply with quote

I was wondering if a 16" would fit in the spare tire area. The only question remains of your design is, how are you going to prevent road debris from puncturing and/or marring the tire? Maybe you could use the original clam shell half between the webbing and the tire.

I'm also looking at a way to better utilize the interior of my GL. I love how much space I have without the center seat, so I have undergone the daunting task of finding or fabricating jump seats and a table in the back. If I were to get jump seats and the brackets, how hard would it be to add them to a GL? Are the bolt holes already there?

Former VW's:
'72 Bus, '75 Bus, '78 Sunroof Bus, '87 Vanagon GL, '00 Jetta TDI (Gas companies don't miss her, but I do), '04 Passat Wagon
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that as well. But after noticing that virtually every pickup truck and ford explorer has a spare that is cranked up and down out of the well in the rear and are unprotected. The other thing is the replacement mounts are just tube metal, with no protection. I was going to incorporate the clamshell in the modded design, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

I may just make a disk of either plywood (eventually to be killed by moisture) or aluminium. I just had no scrap big enough. When I do my next trip to Georgia, I have a wrecked King Air 100 behind one of the hangers that may donate some aluminium to this end.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuck77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a used vinyl tire cover from a jeep or other suv from a junk yard? It will do in the interim until you can fab up something smoother. I have seen a fiberglass one from an Isuzu Trooper that would work better than the stocker at my local U-Pull It. Some 80 grit sandpaper and some POR-15 you are in business. Just my .02
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every kid in Wisconsin has possessed, at one time or another, a plastic saucer made for screaming down snowy hills in winter. Cheap, durable, and easy to cut. Might work well!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job James!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: I like it! Reply with quote

[quote="slunk33] If I were to get jump seats and the brackets, how hard would it be to add them to a GL? Are the bolt holes already there?[/quote]

The Jump seats have a plate w/ a hole in it for the 2 rear legs of the seat to sit in, one for each leg, I've cut all 4 out of a Vanagon when I sold some Jump seats. There is also a bracket that goes on the back side of your front seat pedestals, its bolted on, the release knob on the J seat locks into that.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow saucer! I have one in the basement, the kids wll never miss it. The vinyl cover idea is valid as well. I am hoping to make a carrier to hold my hydralic jack as well to go in the middle of the tire, that project is in the someday catagory.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Dog. I'd like to see more detail on how you are able to cinch the strap tight enough to keep the tire secure. The laptop table is really nice too. I'm just waiting with baited breath for the questions to start rolling in about your special metal stretching compound Wink
'96 BMW R1100GS
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method I used to make the straps tighten, was to use a large angle iron. The strap is a bit on the short side. So when the angle is in place and you start screwing the bolt in it tightens the straps by tilting forward to set square on the body member.

I thought everybody used Metal Stretching Compound. Its made by the same folks that make Panel Grow. If you cut a panel too short, you paint it on the edge and it grows a bit. Available from Diagon Alley online.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the pictures go?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIRC, the OP has sold his van. Likely the pics aren't hosted anymore.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, a Dogpilot thread revived. Amazed that his van didn't go to a member of this forum.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: