Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

jcsvwparts.com - JCS custom built engines?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supa74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: jcsvwparts.com - JCS custom built engines? Reply with quote

tried searchin the past 30 minutes n i couldn't come up with anything. I wonder if anybody has any feedback for this company that deals with engines. a guy named Jeff Jarosz does the emails from jcsvwparts.com, their webpage looks pretty solid, but Like to hear some feedback from this company and their engines from past customers. Would appreciate it.
Matt B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try doing a search? I found a few different topics on them through the search.
dnny1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: jcs engines Reply with quote

We use JCS for all of our stock replacement engines for customers and we have not encountered any problems. We had one engine that went to Canada and had problems and JCS replaced it according to the warranty they give with no issues, the customer called them they shipped him a new engine and shipped the old one back. For our bigger engine we hand build using Scat engine kits and those havent had any issues either. You can see who we are at www.drsvw.com If you have any questions feel free to give me a call, I can vouch for JCS

Daniel
951-231-7793
Supa74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh YEs i did search for about 30 minutes. i used jcs, jcsvwparts.com, used his name, jcsengines, jcs engines, tried everything.. if your finding something, im not finding nothing. what search words are you using?

thanks dnny1990/daniel, i'll check who you are.. thanks for the feedback.
Matt B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just typed in JCS and searched in all areas. I didn't limit it to the feedback area and came up with 37 matches. Just weed through them and you should be able to find if anyone has had problems or not. I done this search a while back and found that they are pretty good and rarely have problems and when they have had problems they take care of it.
mark wolter Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: JCS Reply with quote

So even though DRSVW first said they had NO problems with JCS, the very next sentence say's they had a problem and they had to send another engine to Canada. So they did have a problem!!
All VW engine companies have comebacks, wether it's an assembly situation or a part failure, NOBODY is perfect.For some reason one company can have a problem and it's no big deal, and another company can have a problem and they are the worst ever...How does this make any sense. I would check with each companies warranties and policies, and what parts they use, and call the main VW suppliers.
Even ask the few companies if they have references in the industry, and call HotVW's.
Just some suggestions you may take or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nc68bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read between the lines, They had a problem with an engine and JCS took care of it! So no problem? I got an engine from them last year, have 15,000 miles on it and it is fine. Learned a lot in the last year and might have done things different but got to say engine turned out fine! 1641dp w/alt & filter pump option. Scott
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
call HotVW's.

Great Idea!!!

They will surely refer you to one of their many advertisers, like maybe GEX??? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark wolter Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't usually give referrals, but if you ask about certain companies they'll answer your questions. I have never heard that they suggest any company such as GEX.
There are alot of quality VW engine builders in the industry, but don't look for the cheapest price.
Cheap doesn't mean good or of high quality in any product or manufacturer, like KIA vs. Mercedes...Get the point?
All companies have problems, it's how they take care of them that really counts.
Good Luck with your engine search!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Vasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: jcs engine rebuilds Reply with quote

I purchased a JCS rebuilt 1800 water-cooled engine for my 1980 rabbit pickup back in 2003. Nearly 5 years later it's running fine. I paid about 1400 for the rebuild... But I don't think I'd purchase a rebuilt 2.1 for my Vanagon from JCS... or from any budget builder for that matter.
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUNK engine builders ... with paper work and certifed letters to prove it. STAY AWAY. Terrible customer service or should I say NO customer service.

thevwcompound *instagram*
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos and documentation:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403556
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the misfortune of having the morons at JCS Volsmachine build me an engine. I did a lot of homework before deciding on them, including recommendations/endorsements from two local VW folks who have had dealings with their people. 

The website looked solid and I emailed back and forth with Jeff (who turned out to be Mike, speaking for/as Jeff) for several weeks, asking questions about their work and the origins of parts they use. It turns out that Mike had no real engine knowledge and had to  consult with someone who did every time I asked a question, which I found out later. 

It seemed fine in the beginning and they even allowed me to substitute some parts to avoid getting stuck with the no name Chinese stuff they were using. I had ordered some German and Scat parts, and shipped them to the shop. They were inspected and approved for use. Unfortunately, they didn't inspect well because I later found out the lightened flywheel I bought from Scat didn't have a chamfer in the teeth and my starter grinds occasionally. I don't blame them for that though. 

The first problem came with my invoice when they overcharged for the clutch kit after quoting me a price, but we resolved that. 

I was apprehensive immediately when I went to pick up my engine and saw what a rat hole their shop is. This place does not inspire confidence in any way, shape or form. 

Problem two: I ordered their full flow pump for oil filter with my engine based on their website. The website only displayed the pump with screw on filter. I was both pissed and unprepared when I received my engine and the case had been tapped and a brass fitting installed. I didn't ask for that and had no parts to install the filter remotely. Naturally, the pulley tin clearance was a two-fold problem: first, the brass fitting they use caused me to have to cut my crank pulley tin and, second, problem 3: the pump itself had cast fins sticking out so far that they pushed the pulley tin aft. When I installed the crank pulley, the tin was sandwiched between pump and pulley and the engine wouldn't turn. 

It took awhile to figure out what was going on. I had called them and they insisted that it was my fault for using an aftermarket serpentine pulley that was probably too thick and was pressing on the tin when torqued down. They told me they would mail me a stock pulley to demonstrate because my old original one was bent. I also chewed them out for the pump install. 

It came, it was installed, and lo' and behold...same problem! I called back and told them so. That day it was discovered at my end that it was the pump fins pushing the tin out. After they were cut off, and thinner-headed bolts for mounting installed, the pulley fit fine. 

After I worked out these two issues, I had other, more severe problems with the build and had to remove the engine and send it back to them. Problem 4: Thirty miles in, the engine began spewing oil from around the pump. Pulling the pump off yielded that there was a huge flaw in the seam of the case halves where the pump mounted. There was a gap that had apparently been filled with sealant until the hot oil blew it out. There was nothing I could do about that. 

So, I called, removed the engine, broke it back down to the long block, and drove it all the way back to the shop. Again, they tried to blame me because of the change in pump bolts and cutting of the fins. Image them remove the pump in front of me so they could see the real cause. All of a sudden the guy making the accusations was speechless. They agreed to fix it and ship the engine back to me. 

I mentioned the full flow pump problem. Their solution was, I found after I got the engine back, while they had it still, to grind down the installed brass elbow to make it a little smaller, gouging my case in the process, and then installing a single port crank pulley tin that would clear it. This is how they demonstrated their fix. Of course their tin wasn't anywhere near compatible with my dual port tin that I had freshly painted so I couldn't use it. Their butchering did nothing but weaken the brass and still stuck out of my tin where the hole was cut.

Maybe I'm fortunate that this was the extent of my problems with them. 

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom, I think you finally did it. You put the last nail in the coffin of the well advertised vw engine builders. For a while I've been looking for a shop to rebuild the 1700cc in my '72 Westy. First I weeded out the ones that were out of driving range. I had read enough bad reviews on all the popular builders that I figured I could improve my chances with a hands on approach, not to mention freight charges on the engine and core.

AVP was the first one I ditched. Not only were they just out of driving range, the thing that did it for me was a blog with pictures by ratwell. He had a horrible experience and the photos showed not just a cheap build but what I would call fraud.When the ad says"rebuilt" or "new" that's the very least one should expect no matter what the price and there are enough posts out there to imply this doesn't happen way to often.

I had planned on going to see JCS next week but now I'm not going to waste the gas. I called them once and talked to a guy who had a real hard time answering questions as his english was lacking. If a company can't present itself well on the phone it gives me imediate doubts.

I stopped by Pacific Customs today and they gave me the name of a couple of custom builders near me. I realize that I'm probably going to spend more on the top end of this engine than I would have spent on the whole thing, shipping included, by using one of the budget builders but a 60-70% chance of getting something that runs is not good enough odds for me. I realize there is no bullet proof engine but is all about improving the odds of not breaking down some rainy night along some lonly road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They scare me now. I'm still pissed at what I had to deal with, to say nothing of the two three-hour round trips I had to make to their shop.

Good luck to you, Ron, I'm your search. If you someone good, let us know.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
DDavisDesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: JCS VW Parts Reply with quote

I too recently had an experience with JCS after searching High and Low, hearing the horror stories of GEX and SCAT Gosh SCAT is even listed in all the BIG books. I went through Import Motors why its advertised here on TheSamba, so I recently purchased a 2110cc Hi-Performance Stroker Engine through Import Motor. Duan at Import Motor had over 50 yrs experience knew the owners of GEX and SCAT when the parents owned the companies,now the sons own it, but anyhow.

The 2110cc was excellent the beefy and throaty sound coming from my 4 tip exhaust and was exactly what I wanted to hear MO POWA. Lots of horse for my little 64 bug. An issue started the day after installation. Seems they follow the orders or whats on the worksheet from Import Motors and that shouldn't be the excuse, but I can relate to it. Seems the Cam wore down the push rod linkage, not that I am an expert engine builder, but as we talked, Jeff stated that sometimes either linkage wears, or the Cam wears because of cheap parts.

NOW before we all come to a conclusion I would like to remind everyone that Parts are not like they used to be. The craftsmanship is gone or should I say the manufacturing process is below OUR perceived standards, and what the industry suffers is the Mexico, Brazil and China parts. OEM German built is hard to find, and or expensive, and just like the USA, we no longer produce great steel because of Outsourcing. We all suffer in our lovely field or fields. So if you approach any builder, maybe the first thing out of our mouths would be. "So what would it cost for Top of the Line Parts?" If that's too expensive then we are subject to the hand me down parts from the aforementioned suppliers. HAHA not an excuse just a reality.

After the issue, I got on the phone with JCS, Jeff the Owner and George the Builder "No TV show yet", they made it right and even made improvements off the original order. Not only did JCS go out of their way to help me, but we have a solid relationship with JCS now, and would recommend JCS to anyone whom would like to get their hands on a better engine and for their classic air cooled VW, but remember the above. Jeff stated "You get more distance with sugar then vinegar" gosh i can relate to that one. Big companies can take the a$$ chew, but if you did something or work for someone, and they jump down your throat and start a war, natural instinct is to defend, not everyone is a great speaker of words but its not to difficult to sway with sugar. And ya, you shouldn't have too, but I had too.

OF COURSE I would also like to mention, that keeping them to a standard helped, mentioning to them that they have some bad wraps out there on the net. Gosh Social Media can be an advantage, they so wanted to make it better and try to improve their image, so we worked it out and they performed.

Now I know George may be lacking in English skills, but I have seen his Facebook page, and he did work at Canada Volkswagen, has some really great experience, and being from San Diego myself, I Can relate to the usage of folks whom speak a different dialect all together, but lets also remember a few things. One the last VW Bug was built where? Mexico and there are many experience builders there who are now out of jobs LOL. Again not an excuse just more tools for the tool box. Two Like me a IT Tech who spent years learning the trade because of better pay, now dwindling.Who in our youth is going to school to learn to be a VW mechanic especially Air Cooled? Its part of our forgotten arts and crafts, gosh to have another 1967 Triumph Spitfire would be fun, but the Parts gosh. I for one am no builder, nor claim to be nor want to be and I am not trying to refute everyone bad stories or experience, but by design of all of us owning a CLASSIC VW, I might want to learn how to rebuild my own engine. So the Apprenticeship of the old days are gone and our options are dwindling, Kewl times ahead.

The new re-built 2110cc stroker looks better, and they hot ran it, sent me a video, then sent it over to their friends at Chico Performance Racing, so even Chico worked the engine for its dial in, and have the Dyno sheet to reference.

Growing up, my Dad was a huge proponate of S.C.C.A and always was around builders and racers, learning the lingo, loading my tool box with what to say, and ask, I kept the entire process in check. NOW MIND YOU, the engine is now being shipped back, and hopefully this little write up, gets better, and not worse LOL. I can honestly state that after the issue started I kicked the tool box out of the garage, small one, but had to figure out how to negotiate a proper solution. My 64 is my only car, so I am glad to report JCS tried, they did, and now we will see.

Thank you to everyone on this post, the sad part is, I found it a day late dollar short of my purchase hahah, thanks again to all on this post and JCS for cooperating and doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Rev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDavis - I'm interested in hearing how things are going with your engine now that you've had it a month (I'm assuming based on your post) and the break-in is presumably done.

I bought from them via my local VW shop who has never done me wrong and has always been super solid in all my dealings. They were very upfront about the builder they use (JCS) and stated they had seen issues in the past but that those issues were long gone. The volume of engines this shop orders would imply that they would have seen issues still if they were present. That said, he recommended that I stick to stock or a 1641 because he has never seen an issue with them AT ALL. He didn't say it, but I get the feeling that he doesn't want to risk ordering anything from them that doesn't come with a full 1 year warranty (which is anything larger than a 1641). I ordered a 1641 with an Engle 110 cam and other things I consider a mandatory upgrade like solid rocker shafts, etc. I have less than 500 miles on it and so far so good. Sure, the break-in isn't totally done but it will be in a week or so. At this point I'm really happy with this motor.

Yup, that's really what everyone calls me...
DDavisDesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Hey Rev about JCS VW Parts Reply with quote

Gosh sorry it took so long..but one I was waiting on a referb speedo, and then had to estimate where we stood on the new 2110cc Stroker from JCS VW Parts. When you wrote back we were just at about estimated 158 miles on the break in also. So now we are at about 879 miles, getting ready to go through everything, since we also replaced the rear breaks for disk like the front we will be checking all the fine points today.

Results after the break in: Well I used to own a 2006 GTI and I can tell you this little bug is quite the sleeper, it gathers the looks cause of her color, and style, not too much and just enough hello. Anyhow, the engine is solid so far, and has quite the power band, with the freeway flyer tranny it will easily do 100 mph, and with more to go on the peddle and RPM so estimating she could do about 120 mph. Now mind you I wouldn't get her there, why? Cause its a 1964 bug, LOL if I had the 2006 GTI suspension underneath her YOU Bet. But lets keep this post on http://JCSVWParts.com So far Jeff Jeroz and his crew have been outstanding, what I thought was going to be a disaster at the front turned out to be a huge blessing. Great engine, ample power, no problems on the build, friendly on the phone, ask a question they look for the answer, have questions they cannot answer, they ask Chico and other great builders in their industry, so they are not sitting in the water by themselves. They took the time to not only build, and test my 2110cc Stroker but then they sent it over to Chico Performance Racing for Dyno and it is awesome. You can view the test run here, and ya we did the edit on the vid, its part of what I do. http://www.youtube.com/user/JCSVWParts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next I need to go through and change out the oil, filters and adjust the valves. Check all my other points of interest since we just put on those disk breaks on the back, seems like they might be a bit loose, but then again, PMCS on my Bug should be every 3 weeks if not every 2 weeks.

Any how thanks again for asking, sorry it took me so long to answer, and yes I am about to give http://www.JCSVWParts.com a call and say thanks for all the hard work and let them know how we are doing, since one of the great things to do is to say thanks and let your mechanics know they did a great job. Very Happy Gosh wouldn't you like it also?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a customers car here with a JSC engine that seized after ONLY 2000 miles! The shop that installed it wouldn't back her up and neither would JSC. They said it was a faulty oil line, really? lol I found a LOT of problems with this engine. Whatever crap they used to seal the engine was all over and blocking oil passages, 3 of the 4 rods were seized to the crank cause they put a cam, big valve heads, and dual carbs but no oil sump, wtf? Apparently they have no idea and the added HP and rpm's that the engine would have would actually create an issue with an engine that only has 3 qts of oil stock. The copper seal sealant they used on everything else was all over the inside of the engine as well and OVERLY used as well. I personally would NOT recommend these guys at all. It cost my customer $5000 total the 1st time and now another $2000 to me for rebuilding it and fixing other issues that were overlooked.
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:
I've had the misfortune of having the morons at JCS Volsmachine build me an engine. I did a lot of homework before deciding on them, including recommendations/endorsements from two local VW folks who have had dealings with their people. 

The website looked solid and I emailed back and forth with Jeff (who turned out to be Mike, speaking for/as Jeff) for several weeks, asking questions about their work and the origins of parts they use. It turns out that Mike had no real engine knowledge and had to  consult with someone who did every time I asked a question, which I found out later. 

It seemed fine in the beginning and they even allowed me to substitute some parts to avoid getting stuck with the no name Chinese stuff they were using. I had ordered some German and Scat parts, and shipped them to the shop. They were inspected and approved for use. Unfortunately, they didn't inspect well because I later found out the lightened flywheel I bought from Scat didn't have a chamfer in the teeth and my starter grinds occasionally. I don't blame them for that though. 

The first problem came with my invoice when they overcharged for the clutch kit after quoting me a price, but we resolved that. 

I was apprehensive immediately when I went to pick up my engine and saw what a rat hole their shop is. This place does not inspire confidence in any way, shape or form. 

Problem two: I ordered their full flow pump for oil filter with my engine based on their website. The website only displayed the pump with screw on filter. I was both pissed and unprepared when I received my engine and the case had been tapped and a brass fitting installed. I didn't ask for that and had no parts to install the filter remotely. Naturally, the pulley tin clearance was a two-fold problem: first, the brass fitting they use caused me to have to cut my crank pulley tin and, second, problem 3: the pump itself had cast fins sticking out so far that they pushed the pulley tin aft. When I installed the crank pulley, the tin was sandwiched between pump and pulley and the engine wouldn't turn. 

It took awhile to figure out what was going on. I had called them and they insisted that it was my fault for using an aftermarket serpentine pulley that was probably too thick and was pressing on the tin when torqued down. They told me they would mail me a stock pulley to demonstrate because my old original one was bent. I also chewed them out for the pump install. 

It came, it was installed, and lo' and behold...same problem! I called back and told them so. That day it was discovered at my end that it was the pump fins pushing the tin out. After they were cut off, and thinner-headed bolts for mounting installed, the pulley fit fine. 

After I worked out these two issues, I had other, more severe problems with the build and had to remove the engine and send it back to them. Problem 4: Thirty miles in, the engine began spewing oil from around the pump. Pulling the pump off yielded that there was a huge flaw in the seam of the case halves where the pump mounted. There was a gap that had apparently been filled with sealant until the hot oil blew it out. There was nothing I could do about that. 

So, I called, removed the engine, broke it back down to the long block, and drove it all the way back to the shop. Again, they tried to blame me because of the change in pump bolts and cutting of the fins. Image them remove the pump in front of me so they could see the real cause. All of a sudden the guy making the accusations was speechless. They agreed to fix it and ship the engine back to me. 

I mentioned the full flow pump problem. Their solution was, I found after I got the engine back, while they had it still, to grind down the installed brass elbow to make it a little smaller, gouging my case in the process, and then installing a single port crank pulley tin that would clear it. This is how they demonstrated their fix. Of course their tin wasn't anywhere near compatible with my dual port tin that I had freshly painted so I couldn't use it. Their butchering did nothing but weaken the brass and still stuck out of my tin where the hole was cut.

Maybe I'm fortunate that this was the extent of my problems with them. 
Then again, seems they weren't finished with me just yet after all!

This week saw a new discovery in my ongoing JCS woes. It would seem that the folks at this shop aren't aware of what needs to be done when installing extra long flywheel dowel pins.

I'd like to personally thank those gentleman for my $600 parts bill in needing to replace what we're only four-year-old starter, clutch kit, flywheel, pins, seals and gland nut, along with whatever other incidentals and labor that will come with those costs.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: