Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small bubble will bleed out of a healthy system (ie: good pump, pressure cap & proper level in overflow tank)

I've been using hose pinch pliers like this for all my fuel/coolant/heater hose needs:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Hose-Clamp-Plier-S...mp;sr=8-35

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<It looks like Terry Kays valve is a Parker mini valve, they are rated for 200 degrees. Is that good enough?>>

& BTW-- good for 450 psi.

If your running your engine hot enough to get the water to the front core & valve @ 200 degree's , I'd say that she's running a little hot--
I'd be looking at the thermostat or radiator--
Westly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to add a shut off valve before summer camping season & started checking around online. The price varies widely, but today I found 5 for $25 on e-bay (appear to be genuine Parker product). This way I can install mine & give the rest to my van buddies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330670151943#ht_500wt_1413

“You won't always be the strongest or the fastest, but you can be the toughest”
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shut off valve (variable open) and it does nothing to stop hot foot. Full new cooling system including rad, does nothing to stop hot foot. I've not used the shut off valve since all the former problems and have no intent to use it as I feel it interferes with the natural flow. I think the only solution is the lining required underneath the van and I may also add some to under the carpet when I'm at it. Only on the driver's side but then I never sit on the passenger side to know Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say that ts is truey odd.
The first person I have ever heard of not reaping the benifits of no hot water to the front heater core speaks.

Perhaps you have it planted in the wrong hose.

& I'm not saying that laying some R-34 in front of the Vehicle, behind the radiator wouldn't help some more.

Plug off your fresh air intake vent too---then see what happens.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you are really saying but others have said that to shut off the fore/aft cooling line can lead to problems. If it's in the wrong hose that'll be another thing that the original converter screwed up as well. I keep it open and do not interfere with the coolant flow. My front blower/heater is not working and hopefully will be remedied this winter. Personally I don't see what putting a on/off valve on the passenger side affects hot foot, almost a foot to the left. But hey some say I'm crazy. Other than the hot foot on my right foot, I have no heat in the front. Your statement confuses me if it's meant for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee,
Could I have the names & phone number's of the "Other's' that have told you that?

Put on your thinking cap for one minute.
If the stock front heater valve is working & off, and so is the rear one during the summer- Vanagon's have been self destructing their cooling systems since day one--1983.5

This is perhaps another one of the craziest commens in a week or so--
No, I take that back.
Repairing cracks in the plastic skyights without ever being able to see it was a good one too.

I wanna talk to the Guru's that poisoned your mind on that ill advised cooling / heater theory.

The biggest reason that the accessory valve is a real good dea, is the front valve fails, cable slips, and never shuts all the way off.
The Ball valve does, and eliminates the hot water from getting to the heater core.

If your still getting heat to the front with the accessory valve off--your heater box needs some work.

That's all.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry guess I'm being really dense right now, and I am upset but not at you, I'm totally confused. I don't ever shut the added variable valve, I don't have a back heater and the front heater/blower doesn't work. Guess I'd better just shut down and come back at this another day. Sorry to have caused you any angst.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I have a shut off valve (variable open) and it does nothing to stop hot foot. Full new cooling system including rad, does nothing to stop hot foot. I've not used the shut off valve since all the former problems and have no intent to use it as I feel it interferes with the natural flow. I think the only solution is the lining required underneath the van and I may also add some to under the carpet when I'm at it. Only on the driver's side but then I never sit on the passenger side to know Laughing

Your foot is hot from the floor being hot, right? I have the same problem, but never dealt with it. Check page 1 of this thread, adding insulation to the floor is the way to go.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here.
Just trying to draw you a picture.

If the valve is off---no hot water.
If the valve is off, & your still getting heat from the vents,( in the summer I hope your talking about) the foam seals are leaking in on the heater doors, from the front intake vent , behind the grill & still cooking your tootsies.

Another Vanagon problem that needs attention once every 20 years or so---

If you want a quick solution, stuff a Daffy Duck Beach towel in behind the fresh air intake grill.
Use Black duct tape on the grill( so you don't see it.)
Or pull the front heater & replace the foam heater door seals--when your replacing the front heater motor & core.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westly wrote:
I was planning to add a shut off valve before summer camping season & started checking around online. The price varies widely, but today I found 5 for $25 on e-bay (appear to be genuine Parker product). This way I can install mine & give the rest to my van buddies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330670151943#ht_500wt_1413

Can I be one of your Van Buddies?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I don't know what you are really saying but others have said that to shut off the fore/aft cooling line can lead to problems. If it's in the wrong hose that'll be another thing that the original converter screwed up as well. I keep it open and do not interfere with the coolant flow. My front blower/heater is not working and hopefully will be remedied this winter. Personally I don't see what putting a on/off valve on the passenger side affects hot foot, almost a foot to the left.

Let's see if I can clear this whole mess up...

Up front, behind the headlight grille, is a valve connected to your heater temperature control lever. That valve opens and closes depending on your temperature desires: hot = valve 100% open. When at 100% open, coolant is flowing through the heater core; when 100% closed, no coolant flows through the heater core. The problem is that these stock/factory valves go bad and/or the connecting wire goes bad, often sticking in the full-open or full-closed position. In the full-open position, you get nothing but heat out of your vents. This, coupled with poorly sealing vent doors leads to a hot interior while travelling, especially in the warmer months.

Installing the bypass valve into one of the interior heater core hoses is, in effect, taking the place of that aforementioned stock/factory valve. Shutting this bypass valve does nothing to your cooling system (it's working just like the factory valve), unless your system already has an issue. The heater core is a separate component to the radiator.

If your valve is closed (shutting off coolant flow through the heater core) and you still have a hot foot, your hot-foot issue is being caused by something else (i.e. lack of insulation and/or leaking air vents).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westfailed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamzcab-excellent explanation. The coolant pipes that feed the rad are on the passengers side-it would be hard to transfer heat that far away from the driver's feet at 60 mph. I had the syndrom and found the factory shut off, up above the spare tire, was hanging loose.Once I stabalized it from moving back and forth (cable tie) the control could do it's job and the problem solved.
Daizee may I suggest you drop the spare tire and have a look at the control while someone adjusts the heat lever on the dash.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the hot foot situation. The van has a new, working heater valve, new radiator and heater core. All new foam seals on heater box.

If your radiator is pushing the heat out (so to speak) it is heating up the floor of the van. I can feel the heat even on the driver's seat pedestal. In fact, before radiator replacement, I don't recall getting the hot foot situation. Now the engine runs cooler, but my driver's compartment is hotter - LOL! Time for insulation.....

Now, if you are getting heat through the heating system when everything is off, then yes the control valve is not working, or the cable is not adjusted correctly.

Note, if you are replacing your radiator - replace this valve at that time - access will never be easier. Exclamation Don't install the radiator and then as you lie underneath to connect the wiring look up at the heater valve you forgot to replace and then decide might as well drop the radiator again. Don't ask me how I know.... Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Westly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklinstower - Aw sure, what the heck. Are you anywhere near Seattle?

“You won't always be the strongest or the fastest, but you can be the toughest”
Tooharsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add this to my list...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've had the dash off and worked on the entire heater unit, I have a better handle of the situation. Replaced foam on all valves. My hot foot is definitely not coming from inside the van, I'm laying down heat shield across the front, especially the central portions, of the cabin and will over time, insulate the seat boxes. Thanks for the persistant explanations.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hot foot is very clearly coming from the heater, so I went to home depot and got a Mueller ProLine ball valve. They have teflon seals and the specs say they're good up to 300F. Ended up being about $25 for a 3/4" valve and 3/4->5/8" barbs. Probably going to stick it under the middle of the van somewhere, no room in the cockpit.

http://www.muellerindustries.com/uploads/pdf/MLT-216%20Ball%20Valve%20Series.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Small bubble will bleed out of a healthy system (ie: good pump, pressure cap & proper level in overflow tank)

I've been using hose pinch pliers like this for all my fuel/coolant/heater hose needs:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Hose-Clamp-Plier-S...mp;sr=8-35

I found some really cheap long-nose vice grip knockoff pliers for like $4 each at home depot because I couldn't find any hose clamp pliers...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E48D1W/ref=asc_df_B00...amp;hvqmt=
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.

Keep close an eye on the hose as you crank down on them made In Cassablaca vice grips.

This isn't the right tool for the job---
But any port in a storm I guess.

Or--any Tool when your Tapioca.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: