Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Good.

Keep close an eye on the hose as you crank down on them made In Cassablaca vice grips.

This isn't the right tool for the job---
But any port in a storm I guess.

Or--any Tool when your Tapioca.

In the past I have put pieces of wood between the teeth and the hose, I guess I should have mentioned that. Is that your concern, that the teeth would chew up the hose? If it's an old hose, I'm not crazy about crushing down on it regardless because I'm paranoid about stressing the hose... I know I should probably replace them soon...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greyerlynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Gas Pedal linkage heat Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm new to TheSamba having just purchased my '86 Wolfsburg Weekender. I grew up in VW campers though. Smile

I've read through this thread and I understand the two major problems that people are fixing: Heater leakage and radient footwell heat. The fixes for both make sense but I'm pretty sure neither are the issue I'm facing.

Early on in the thread, DogPilot mentions hot air coming in through the gas pedal linkage. I've confirmed that this is exactly what's happening in my van. I've reached down and put my hand under the gas pedal while driving and I can feel a significant amount of hot air blowing up through that hole. Before I just start attacking it with my own (sometimes successful) ingenuity I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had a solution that specifically dealt with that problem.

Thanks!
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a plastic cover that goes over the pedal linkage under the van.(see picture below) This forms a seal around the hole where the rod from the pedal goes through the floor. If yours is missing or damaged a decent amount of hot air can get in.

If it is in place but you still get hot air leaks, you can try sealing around the cover with a silicone or similar sealant.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
greyerlynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to make sure I followed up here. I tracked down the plastic cover you were talking about up in the spare tire area. I don't have it apart yet but it looks like the stuff they used to seal the edge has disintegrated after 26 years and the hot air is getting in through the gap. I'll need to get up in there and use some silicone like you said. I'm guessing the gasket for that is not readily available.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyerlynx wrote:
Wanted to make sure I followed up here. I tracked down the plastic cover you were talking about up in the spare tire area. I don't have it apart yet but it looks like the stuff they used to seal the edge has disintegrated after 26 years and the hot air is getting in through the gap. I'll need to get up in there and use some silicone like you said. I'm guessing the gasket for that is not readily available.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Polyurethane caulk will stick better and handle the hot environment better. Silicone is for bathtubs! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Polyurethane caulk will stick better and handle the hot environment better. Silicone is for bathtubs! Wink

True, I just re-sealed mine after replacing the throttle cable. I used some sikaflex (polyurethane adhesive sealant) I had lying around from another project. That stuff will probably out-last the van.

A good quality automotive silicone would work just fine. Might be easier to remove as well, if you need to get under there to add some lube.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOP would seal that cover off from the heat & elements forever--

Good stuff.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
GOOP would seal that cover off from the heat & elements forever--

Good stuff.

Are you talking the GOOP contact cement in the blue tube? I've never had good luck with that stuff. You use it for a wide range of jobs? Follow the instructions on the tube?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes in 37 different varieties--
Plumbing,Home,Garden,Shoe, etc.
I've got the purple & white tubes .

Clean the area well with lacquer thinner, scuff up the area with 80 sandpaper, and apply the goop.

Let it dry overnight, and you'll need a jack hammer or an act of God to have it fall off.

A liitle bit of prep, & patience goes a long way.

What's wrong with using the required screws & the Goop to hang & seal the cover ?
greyerlynx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to leave the option to get into it at some future point. I'll probably go with the polyurethane or auto silicone. Thanks guys!
gmoyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Plumbers tape? Reply with quote

Hate to revive such an old thread but I was about to this mod but I had a question. It looks like you used some plumbers tape here. I was wondering if any old plumbers tape will work or if a specific kind is required to be resistant to antifreeze?

[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: hot foot solution Reply with quote

Anyone interested in a solenoid controlled valve to do this shut off? It would be controlled by a toggle switch on the dash that would trigger a relay that would make the solenoid valve move from the "off" position - i.e. closed, no coolant flow through the heater core to the "open" position. I.E. the default position would be closed, throw the switch to open the valve and have flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha small world.. Recently I've been installing the solenoid shut off vales.

I'm using the Hi temp 1\2" Valves think there called Viton rated to 248 degrees. I install them in the rear of the Van before the heater hose T's off into the Rear heater.. Note.. The valves are somewhat heavy so I create a hanger to support the weight so that they won't bounce, flop or drop. Works great even wire them to a powered LED amber switch that I install on the lower Dash. Works great for those spring or Fall days where it's chilly in the morning and then hot.

Only problem is getting above the coolant pipes to install and wire the valves, but normally I offer the valves when upgrading total coolant system and pipes, and total heater hose replacement stuff.

But this fix won't solve your Rad heat blow back, for that your need the foil insolation etc. For that stuff I buy from Summit Racing etc "Heat Foil" it's sticky on one side and used to keep the heat from race engines, Turbo's etc out of the car. They have several different types some rated to 1000+ degrees.
gmoyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Plumbers tape? Reply with quote

Yup. Putting in butyl sound deadener and ULtratouch radiant barrier but I still would like a recommendation on the plumbers tape. The last thing I want after tearing out everything, cleaning and installing all the insulation and putting in new carpet is a coolant leak.

Suggestions?