Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

I don't have one and your not going to get one soon, so imagine a piece of construction paper rolled into a big (o) tube. then fasten it to the rad fan housing so that it 'funnels' ALL of the hot air past the firewall to the steering rack.
do it w/o making it tight/restrictive..
goal is to keep the hot air from contacting the firewall, then the firewall insulation doesn't have as much heat to combat from heat soak
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mtn.Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

TheArmand wrote:
Mtn.Westy wrote:
Six summers of unbearable hot foot now solved with a $15 Pex ball valve. Just took a test drive on the highway in 90 degree heat. Flipped ball valve back and forth to test. What a difference. My wife had begun to loath our Westy trips in the summer and usually rode with her feet on the dash to avoid the hot air blowing on her tootsies. Thank you!
Brown Vanagon
[/

Can you describe where exactly this location is? For those of us with recently purchased vans.. Wink Thanks in advance!

Coolant hose behind front dash access panel going to front heater core.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Our feet are roasting from the lower front vents blowing hot air so I'm going to do this mod ASAP. Ordered the recommended valve yesterday but I just want to make sure that it's fine to do with any engine. I now have a Subaru engine with a Vanaru kit, and my guess is that I can do this regardless of the type of engine, correct?
Sorry for my ignorance! I'm learning about mechanics. I'm good to follow instructions and schematics but I don't yet understand the big picture of how things are interconnected. I would rather ask before I make a mistake Smile
Thanks,
PF
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

why not just fit a new valve and do the job properly
i fitted one on friday, it took me less than 30 minutes.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

I see nomprob,em witht the "extra" valve being installed, a simple 100% effective stop the flow device.
I did also install a new cable operated valve, you see...... I HATE being hot! Nothing wrong with redundancy, just ask NASA.

My main heat source was the radiant heat from the radiator cooling air around the tunnel and shift assembly.

Reflectix was the answer to that issue!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Dear all,

This weekend, I plan on doing this mod in the front where the vents are as pictured in Malibu's original photo (attached) but given my truly basic (or below basic) auto repair skills I would like to make sure I'm following the right steps. I'm not afraid to do the work and I need to learn but I want to make sure I do it correctly. I will eventually get the work done so the original parts work correctly (if possible). For now I don't mind this mod even if it will become redundant down the line.

Please let me know if I'm missing any steps or if they are incorrect.

1. Purchased TK's Parker teflon sealed ball valve, hose clamps pliers and white teflon seal tape.
2. Clamp the pictured hose with clamp pliers about 8" apart (more or less distance?)
3. Depressurize the lines by unscrewing the cap on the coolant tank (is this step necessary?)
4. Cut about 1" off the hose to allow for the width of the valve. (Do I use a small saw or cutting pliers?)
5. A horrible mess of coolant spillage will ensue (true? False? I want to be prepared for that)
5. Wrap white teflon tape on the threads of the valve as pictured (is that necessary? TK's valve may not need it?)
6. Attach hose to valve on each side (do I put teflon tape on each end of the valve as well?)
7. Tighten metal clamps/braces on each end
8. Screw the cap on the coolant tank back on (if I need to unscrew it in the first place)
9. Take hose clamps off.
10. DONE?

As I mentioned in another post within this thread, I have a newly installed Subaru engine (Vanaru kit), so I hope this mod does not interfere with the new system. Please advice if I need to keep the valve slightly open to allow for some coolant flow.

Thank you! I truly appreciate you patience and help!

-- PF

Last edited by figborg on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

ive been running same mod for many years on a sub 2.5 vanaru kit, no issues what so ever
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

1. Purchased TK's Parker teflon sealed ball valve, hose clamps pliers and white teflon seal tape.

5. Wrap white teflon tape on the threads of the valve as pictured (is that necessary? ->>

Neither of these two idea's are necessary , as I assemble the valve barbed fittings using 3-M PTFE pipe thread paste which in my opinon is a much better thread sealer.

Clamp off the hoses where the valve is going, cut the hose, install the valve, remove the fluid clamps, you're in business.

Easy stuff.

Good Luck,
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Don't forget to put the hose clamps over the hoses before installing the valve and pushing it all the way into the hoses. Someone I know might have done that. Embarassed

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Good helpful hint notification !
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Indeed! I can see myself forgetting that Smile
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll soon share my experience and a pic. I'll do the mod tomorrow or Sunday. Cheers.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
randiego wrote:
Okay, now that I have the valve, how do you get the lower heater cover off to install it?
I don't want to remove the dash, and I don't want to break any important tabs on the plastic either.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591771 Wink

I've been trying to remove this console for the last 20 minutes to no avail... Is there a trick to it? Where are the clips? In the vents? I don't feel any on the sides or top. Pull down? Toward me? Evil or Very Mad
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figborg wrote:
I've been trying to remove this console for the last 20 minutes to no avail... Is there a trick to it? Where are the clips? In the vents? I don't feel any on the sides or top. Pull down? Toward me? Evil or Very Mad

Towards you, driver's side first.

If your van has the stupid "glide piece" on the passenger side, you'll need to pry the top down a bit to get below that "glide piece". Once it's levered down a bit, then pull the passenger side out towards you. I used an interior trim removal tool for a lever.

kamzcab86 wrote:
davideric9 wrote:
I've seen some where the metal edge of the dash above this piece will be in the way and the metal dash will need to be pushed up out of the way, like 1/8 inch.

Not just the metal dash, the plastic end cap that's ingeniously riveted into place:

Removal of my cover required the use of Volkswagen Special Tool:

AKA, interior trim removal tool to finesse the two apart while pulling out on the cover (helps to remove the driver's side first).

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

you pull straight back toward the back of the van. If the cover have never been remove, there is a lot of resistance. I remember removing a heater cover from a junkyard van and it felt like im going to break it. It also help if you pull little bit side to side motion. hope this help.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

I got it out! Not even sure how. Took about 45 minutes...

Mine does have that tab but the passenger side came out easier, go figure. What a PITA!

Thanks!!
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

45 HELLISH minutes to remove the console and 15 minutes or less to install the valve. Now off for a ride to make sure it works (sans console). I hope not only that it stops the vent from blowing hot air but that I can remove the console again in the winter or that I can reach the valve with my dainty fingers from the side... I live in New England...

Here is the beauty in place:

Thanks to you all!!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

You did GOOD!

👍

You can usually reach that on/off lever from the side. No need to pull that cover off.

I hope it works for you but honestly most of my unbearable heat was radiating through the sheet metal that makes up the radiator cooling path.

Reflectix was my answer to that.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

A lot of heat in the summer months will radiate out of the heater vents---with the usual crummy stock valve in place.

The accessory valve will put a halt from the engine temp coolant from getting to the heater core for sure.

One more simple item you can add that also will cool things down, is to remove the upper grill, and using black duct tape ( the black tape is for appearances only ) tape closed the intake vent opening.

What you will do is assure that no hot air will get past the heater vents that probably need resealing inside of the heater box.

A real quick fix, and in the fall or winter you can just yank off the tape to allow fresh air into the heater box to use the heater.

The insulating of the floor up under the dash is another good way to slow down the hot air off of the radiator--but, it takes a lot more to get this job done than closing off the fresh air intake vent with the duct tape.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
. . .I assemble the valve barbed fittings using 3-M PTFE pipe thread paste which in my opinon is a much better thread sealer. . . .

Yeah, TK, the paste is better.

I was working with the pipefitters about the time teflon tape was becoming common. The young guys took the tape and ran with it, the old-timers, not so much.

A grizzled, old fitter named Hud told me, "I wanna see how good that tape is doin' in 30 years."

A couple of months ago I was sitting on the throne in my bunker when a light bulb went on. I thought,"This washer type stopcock has been on this toilet for more than 50 years - I better change it out before I really need it."

So, I picked up a ball toilet stop valve and installed it with teflon tape. One careful clockwise wrap of tape, wrung on the valve hand tight and cranked in another turn and a half just like I was taught so long ago. The damn thing leaked. I cranked in another turn, then another. Still leaking, and about the time something ugly was going to happen, I remembered Hud's words of wisdom and grabbed my jar of teflon pipe dope. Problem solved.

Richie
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

I will do that, Terry. I'm going to take the van for a long ride along the sea shore this afternoon to make sure this solved the problem of the blowing hot air through the footwell vents. I didn't feel any hot air last night when we went to the grocery store but that was short ride. We don't seem to have problems with radiating heat but then it may be that we noticed the hot air more.

Just installed Jack Bombay's pop top struts this morning. Now I can open the top without assistance. Tomorrow I will replace all bolts on the pop top (excluding the back ones where the hinge is) with stainless steel ones. I'm on a roll!

Cheers,
--PF

Terry Kay wrote:
A lot of heat in the summer months will radiate out of the heater vents---with the usual crummy stock valve in place.

The accessory valve will put a halt from the engine temp coolant from getting to the heater core for sure.

One more simple item you can add that also will cool things down, is to remove the upper grill, and using black duct tape ( the black tape is for appearances only ) tape closed the intake vent opening.

What you will do is assure that no hot air will get past the heater vents that probably need resealing inside of the heater box.

A real quick fix, and in the fall or winter you can just yank off the tape to allow fresh air into the heater box to use the heater.

The insulating of the floor up under the dash is another good way to slow down the hot air off of the radiator--but, it takes a lot more to get this job done than closing off the fresh air intake vent with the duct tape.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: