Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 Westy AC Stuff - sellable or junk?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: 82 Westy AC Stuff - sellable or junk? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Recently acquired an 82 Westy Very Happy - the previous owner cut out the A/C compressor prior to purchase, so I completed the removal to get rid of the dead weight (I had no desire to fix it).

The wife is not altogether pleased about the pile of parts now on our veranda, but I'm loath to simply haul them off to the dump if they can be recycled for use or parts.

As near as I can tell, I have the whole thing, so I'm wondering if I should take some pix and put them in the classifieds, or just trash them.

thanks for the website - it's a goldmine of info!

Best,

Lanval
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth Selling.

Andrew
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you might think is junk is another's treasure. Consider the fact that quite a few of those pieces are no longer available.

You may even consider boxing them up and storing in the attic. You may change your mind, find another person that needs them, trade those parts for ones you need, or include them with the van should you sell it some day.

I for one am a purist. The more original a vehicle is, the more I like it. My opininion which is still shared by some out there.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, wish I had an attic Shocked I'm in grad school, and it's all sitting on my porch in a pile - the wife is, shall we say, less than pleased.

Thanks for the insight though - I'll take some pix and post the stuff over in the classifieds... I'd prefer that someone be able to take the parts and use them, or keep them as back-up for their own system. I hate seeing that stuff go into the ground...

Plus, gotta keep the Westies rolling Smile

Thanks again guys,

Lanval
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Heh, wish I had an attic Shocked I'm in grad school, and it's all sitting on my porch in a pile - the wife is, shall we say, less than pleased.

Thanks for the insight though - I'll take some pix and post the stuff over in the classifieds... I'd prefer that someone be able to take the parts and use them, or keep them as back-up for their own system. I hate seeing that stuff go into the ground...

Plus, gotta keep the Westies rolling Smile

Thanks again guys,

Lanval

I'm interested in it. Does it mount over the front cabin? In-dash ?
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakness,

It's the one that goes in the cabinet over the bed in back, and then blows forward. There isn't an example of it in the Bentley, but it's the same one they're talking about in the AC Question thread here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192566&sid=7566b503c8253915ea8dfd180a133e04

I have pretty much the whole thing, and could deliver to Cerritos, no problem. I don't wanna force the issue, but we're driving to Pasadena tomorrow, so you could have it that early if you wanted.

I have to go out for an hour or so, but if you're interested, post a reply here, and I'll take some pictures for you to show what it looks like.

Best,

Lanval

I might have the original documentation as well - I'll check.

L
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Freakness,

It's the one that goes in the cabinet over the bed in back, and then blows forward. There isn't an example of it in the Bentley, but it's the same one they're talking about in the AC Question thread here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192566&sid=7566b503c8253915ea8dfd180a133e04

I have pretty much the whole thing, and could deliver to Cerritos, no problem. I don't wanna force the issue, but we're driving to Pasadena tomorrow, so you could have it that early if you wanted.

I have to go out for an hour or so, but if you're interested, post a reply here, and I'll take some pictures for you to show what it looks like.

Best,

Lanval

I might have the original documentation as well - I'll check.

L

D'oh dude,

I'm in El Cerrito, not Cerritos. I'm, like, 450 miles north of you. Originally from Long Beach but that's another story. I have a regular sunroof model so I'm interested in an a/c unit that takes the big hole in the middle of the roof into account like a Westy. On Monday, I'll ask the dudes over at my local vanagon/bay window repair shop (The Buslab) what their opinion of it is. PERHAPS you're interested in shipping it to me. I'll pay the costs, of course.

Thanks for now....
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakness,

and people say there's no value to close reading... Confused

Anyway, shipping isn't a problem - talk with the guys at Buslab; it's the original (or at least it looks so to me) A/C system which mounts over the rear engine and runs off the York compressor (which I have, but assume is not functional since the PO took it out). I have the condensors, etc.

Let me know what they say, and I'll try to get pix for you by Monday so that you'll have pix of all the parts for an install checklist.

Thanks,

Lanval
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Freakness,

and people say there's no value to close reading... Confused

Anyway, shipping isn't a problem - talk with the guys at Buslab; it's the original (or at least it looks so to me) A/C system which mounts over the rear engine and runs off the York compressor (which I have, but assume is not functional since the PO took it out). I have the condensors, etc.

Let me know what they say, and I'll try to get pix for you by Monday so that you'll have pix of all the parts for an install checklist.

Thanks,

Lanval

I very much appreciate your help and info dude. I'll get back to you on Monday
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the AC parts here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lanval.de.logres/82WestyAC1

Best,

Lanval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: