Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And so it begins - Subaru EJ22 in a 1984 Transporter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenmag wrote:
Good work dude! no turning back now Cool I called Seth at Mastercraft last week about the throttle cam and says he does not have any more right now because no one is sending him back the cores so you might want to inquire about that. I think I will try to make something up myself as I've got access to a MIG/argon welder. Tom Shiels will take care of you nicely with the harness.. He's a super nice guy and a good friend of mine.. lives like 45 min away from me.

As said in Spaceballs "May the schwartz be with you."

Later

I just spoke with Seth at Mastercraft this morning and he confirmed the lack of Subaru throttle linkage core parts problem. I told him I'd send my core first, then he can do the modification and send it back. He said, "no problem." So that's now added to the to-do list.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my plan is to keep the starter that's on the van I noticed it's a South Africa unit. I tried searching a bit to figure out if it's the same as the weaker 83.5 to 85 starter or a different version of the stronger 86-91 starters. My years are probably off but I believe the weaker unit is 3/4 horsepower and the stronger unit 1 horsepower. Anyone know ? It is a Bosch unit according to a sticker that's not visible

Thanks in advance....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update # 7 July 4, 2007

Dudes,

What better way to celebrate American independence than by working on Japanese and German vehicles.... Rolling Eyes

With the GoWesty 2.2 motor sold and GONE......I have decided to remove to the wiring harness.

Step 1. Remove front driver-side fender

The driver-side fender in a 1992 Subaru Legacy has to be removed because the bulk of the wiring leading from the engine to the fuse panel under the left-side of the dashboard travels underneath the fender. One how-to article says it's just a matter of removing a few bolts and the fender pops right off.

Mmmm, not quite...

The first thing I did was to unscrew the plastic wheel liner. It's pretty thin and after you remove the few obvious screws you can push it, tear it, cut it out, whatever you want to do to expose hidden areas where some of the bolts are hiding. With the wheel liner removed you can disconnect the side marker light as it is attached to the fender that is being removed.

Next, remove the obvious bolts found in the engine compartment with either a 10mm socket or a Philips-head screwdriver. Now, at the bottom rear of the fender there are two bolts. One is plainly visible, the other is behind the mud flap. You have to remove the mud flap or at least rotate it upwards to expose the hidden bolt.

Next, I removed the somewhat hidden bolt that connects the front fender to the front bumper.

Now there are three bolts/nuts that are not obvious at all at the front of the fender. Remove the left signal housing via the single screw inside the engine bay (surrounded by a white bracket...it's obvious). You should be able to wiggle the signal housing out and leave it hanging by the cable. One bolt is accessible from outside as shown by my crescent wrench. The other two are accessible by using an extension on a ratchet behind the fender towards the front. Removing the signal housing allows light to illuminate the area, making it much easier to see. They are not difficult to reach but it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

Finally, off comes the fender and the main wiring is exposed.

A close-up showing the wiring sheathed in plastic flexible lines heading towards the dashboard/driver's area of the car.

remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it comin! I'm not real far behind you. You're already saving me time. I know what to do on a vw, but subies are new to me. Now that I've seen those pics I'll be pullin the wiring harness by the end of the month.

thanks
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only half done pulling the wires but I'll finish tomorrow (Thursday) and post some more fun photos... Confused

It's a bit of a bear....but certainly doable..
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet that there are a lot of lurkers like me sitting back and watching this thread. Keep up the good work!
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , I admit I am a lurker. Almost had a free Subaru this winter to dismantle and do what you are doing with my 86 syncro but the dude gave it to another guy. Bummer. So I built my own version of the gowesty 2.2 WBX. I like it but can see doing a Suby in the future if I find one cheap. Keep up the great detailed work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Why the swap? Reply with quote

Freakness,

My Westy is most likely nearing its time for a heart transplant and I have been seriously contemplating a GoWest 2300cc replacement. I am really curious to why you sold your GoWesty engine after only 7,000 miles and went for a Subaru engine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the swap? Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
Freakness,

My Westy is most likely nearing its time for a heart transplant and I have been seriously contemplating a GoWest 2300cc replacement. I am really curious to why you sold your GoWesty engine after only 7,000 miles and went for a Subaru engine?

There was nothing wrong the motor...AT ALL. I could merge on onto the freeway at 70 mph and do 75-80 all day but.....

1. Engine was running rich and I was getting very low gas mileage - all the old electronics and other parts on top of the motor were all due for replacement or rebuild. I was looking at over $ 1,000 just to get back to square-one.

2. GoWesty or any other rebuilder can't make the high emissions go away because it is an ANCIENT design. Knowing I was driving one of the highest polluting vehicles in town was not giving me any comfort.

3. The Subaru attracted me for four main reasons -

- Very clean emissions..something like 95 percent cleaner than the old WBX design

- More power and torque than the 1.9 and 2.1. The Subaru EJ22 is slightly better power and torque-wise than the GoWesty 2.2 I was driving so I don't expect much improvement there but I'm pretty happy with that level of power overall.

- Better gas mileage. A much more modern engine design and fuel management system means I'll average 3-5 miles per gallon more than I was getting on my old 1.9 and the GoWesty 2.2. I can take those savings straight to the bank

- Finally, it's smoother and quieter than the wbx motors which in a Vanagon/Transporter is VERY welcome. When I was driving the donor Subaru home I kept thinking the motor had died but that's how smooth they are....idling at around 600 rpm with a stock counterbalanced crankshaft = butter smooth idle.

The math added up to my doing SOMETHING. I considered selling the van.....NO WAY....so converting to something better was my only option.....and thus, a Subaru EJ22 conversion project was born.
dhermanesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the swap? Reply with quote

[quote="freakness"]
Rhinoculips wrote:

2. GoWesty or any other rebuilder can't make the high emissions go away because it is an ANCIENT design. Knowing I was driving one of the highest polluting vehicles in town was not giving me any comfort.

I have a question about this, did you pass emissions? If you passed then what is the prob? I have nooooooo problem driving a car that may be on the high side of the emissions spectrum.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the swap? Reply with quote

[quote="dhermanesq"]
freakness wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:

I have a question about this, did you pass emissions? If you passed then what is the prob? I have nooooooo problem driving a car that may be on the high side of the emissions spectrum.

Yes, I passed emissions....barely. As I said before, the wbx is a gross polluter compared to anything modern so that was part of my decision to JUST LET GO......

Now with that logic, the CORRECT thing would have been to destroy the engine for the sake of being green but seeing that I don't have enough of the other green in the bank.....selling it was the only option.
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Subie vs Vanagon Canister Reply with quote

I am curious about this....

<<Mine (referee) pulled out the whole book of diagrams (mostly looking at the emissions) for the kennedy conversion and from what I could tell only really wanted to see the vanagon vacuum container (glad I had not used the subie like most everyone else is doing now) and lines as per the kennedy approved conversion. Getting the diagram helps, not sure what you have to buy to get it.>>

I just went through this a couple weeks ago and decided to use the Subaru canister, but we don’t have emission standards here in KY. The Subaru evaporative emission control system is a much simpler and cleaner design and the canister mounts right next to your Vanagon fill tank in almost the exact position as in the Subaru engine compartment. All I had to do was purchase a few longer pieces of rubber hose and the system is set-up exactly how the Subaru engineers designed it.

Intuitively you would think that this would be cleaner / better system.

No one could ever give me a definitive answer on how to connect the Vanagon canister (and all of those tiny plastic hoses….) to the Subaru system. I have heard of the “Kennedy Diagrams” but have never seen them.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subie vs Vanagon Canister Reply with quote

Dharma_Bum wrote:
I am curious about this....

<<Mine (referee) pulled out the whole book of diagrams (mostly looking at the emissions) for the kennedy conversion and from what I could tell only really wanted to see the vanagon vacuum container (glad I had not used the subie like most everyone else is doing now) and lines as per the kennedy approved conversion. Getting the diagram helps, not sure what you have to buy to get it.>>

I just went through this a couple weeks ago and decided to use the Subaru canister, but we don’t have emission standards here in KY. The Subaru evaporative emission control system is a much simpler and cleaner design and the canister mounts right next to your Vanagon fill tank in almost the exact position as in the Subaru engine compartment. All I had to do was purchase a few longer pieces of rubber hose and the system is set-up exactly how the Subaru engineers designed it.

Intuitively you would think that this would be cleaner / better system.

No one could ever give me a definitive answer on how to connect the Vanagon canister (and all of those tiny plastic hoses….) to the Subaru system. I have heard of the “Kennedy Diagrams” but have never seen them.

The problem is that, since Kennedy went to the considerable trouble to get the CARB exemption for his conversion, his conversion is now the only definitive one as far as the california referees are concerned. This won't change until someone goes through the entire process again with a more modern Subaru setup. Until then Californians are stuck with the 2.2 and Kennedy hose setup.

You could come to them with a subie/vanagon that put out nothing but rosewater and it still would not pass if the hoses aren't exactly like they are in the diagram. It's not a good idea, it's the law!
vntgbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: subaru conversion Reply with quote

I have been lurking over this thread from time to time...I hit this when I was deciding to do the conversion. Anyone considering this conversion should not hesitate one second. I started the conversion about the same time that this thread had started and about a week ago was my first drive. I have found in reading this that it is somewhat discouraging. After finishing mine I thought well let's take to have it smogged and just see what happens. They opened it up looked twice, I answered questions, and gave no more answers than what they asked for half hour later I am driving away with my certificate.. I have to say I am 100% sold on the conversion. I will never put another wbx'r in a vanagon!!
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you, I had a very similar experience with the first emission testing. This was a couple days after the conversion was done. Nervous as hell from the time I left the house to when I had the certificate in hand. It was fun to watch the VW tech (had the test done at a dealer) jump in fire up the bus to get it in to the bay. He rolled down the window and said "It's so responsive!!" Then I thought "oh no they'll know now its not stock". In hindsight now thinking what the fuss was all about.
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the swap? Reply with quote

freakness wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:
Freakness,

<snip>
- Better gas mileage. A much more modern engine design and fuel management system means I'll average 3-5 miles per gallon more than I was getting on my old 1.9 and the GoWesty 2.2. I can take those savings straight to the bank

- Finally, it's smoother and quieter than the wbx motors which in a Vanagon/Transporter is VERY welcome. When I was driving the donor Subaru home I kept thinking the motor had died but that's how smooth they are....idling at around 600 rpm with a stock counterbalanced crankshaft = butter smooth idle.

T

Well, the short answer is that it's a 20 year newer design, by a company that is willing to tool up to make changes almost continuously to bring us a better product.
Sorta like the company VW USED to be.
Isn't that feaky how quiet and smooth they are? My wife is a rural mail carrier and has a Postal Legacy (RHD). When she goes to work at 5:30 AM, I actually have to get up and look out the window to make sure she got out okay. I can't hear the damn thing running 30 feet from the bedroom window!!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #8 - July 8, 2007

Mmmmmmm wiring harness. Not the funnest work but as long as you mostly turn off your brain..it's ok...

For the engine bay area it's smartest to actually remove everything on top FIRST, before trying to remove the wires. That means taking out the alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, intake manifold, coolant manifold, metal fuel-rail lines, ignition wires, etc. There are many twists and turns and tight spots that interfere with the removal of the connectors. Now...that's not how I did it... Wink

At the very least remove the alternator to allow the still-difficult removal of the wires feeding the fuel injectors and sensors on the passenger side of the engine bay.

The photo here shows the alternator removed allowing me to pull the harness towards the driver-side of the engine bay (towards the right looking at the photo)

This photo shows why it's better to remove everything on top of the motor before trying to disconnect the wiring harness. Those solid metal fuel-lines and the intake manifold teamed-up to really slowed me down and I ended up loosening and prying the solid-lines to get all the wire connectors through...NOT FUN

Eventually you will have removed a short two-foot section (it disconnects where the fuse panel next to the battery is) of the overall harness that goes across the engine. Put it aside and NOW the party really begins.

Inside the car, I began by removing the lower panels that cover the fuse box and various connectors. On top of the dash and around the sides are obvious little square plastic covers that you simply pry-off to expose the screws that hold the dashboard.

The instrument switches to the left of the steering wheel come out easily and reveal more hidden screws holding the dashboard

Remove every single exposed screw that comes to light. Remove the glove box.....two screws at the bottom....easy

Before the dashboard can be removed you'll have to remove the instrument cluster cover and the actual instrument cluster. A couple of screws at the top of the instrument cluster cover and a couple at the bottom hidden behind the radio cover (remove cupholder and you'll see the screws) and out it comes. Pull-off the heater and a/c sliding control knobs before you pull the cover off.

The removed instrument cluster cover

The instrument cluster removed......another easy couple of screws. The speedometer cable simply slipped out and I unplugged anything electrical I found.

Now, there are still a couple of bolts at the bottom of the center console that hold the dashboard in place. You'll have to loosen the center rear console (the one that goes between the front seats) and pull out the cover that holds the shift boot and you'll gain access to the two hidden bolts. A bit of a pain but easy enough. I forgot to take pictures of this....oopsies.

Now before the dashboard can come out you'll have to remove the steering wheel and the signal indicators; otherwise, the dashboard will get hung-up on them and you won't be able to pull the dashboard out. Don't forget to disconnect the engine hood release lever at the lower-left corner under the dashboard.....really easy actually.

Steering wheel horn cover removed...again...self-explanatory

Loosen the single nut holding the steering wheel and with some "persuasion" pull the steering wheel off. There are a bunch of screws holding the signal indicators and some plugs to undo but it'll be obvious

No more steering wheel and the signal indicators are about to go

Pull the dashboard forward a foot or so and begin disconnecting EVERYTHING (tons of connections) you can see under there

At some point you will have disconnected everything there is to disconnect and voila

There are SO many things to unplug in the lower left corner of the passenger compartment but whatever you do....don't toss this !
For it is COMPUTER BRAIN .....all knowing; behold it's presence

At this point things start to get a bit interesting. The wiring from the engine bay mostly goes around the driver-side fender into the interior compartment to the main fuses underneath the steering wheel. However, another important set of wires leave the engine bay and travel directly into the center of the dashboard area DIRECTLY behind the heating and cooling system. Nice.

The directions I had said, "remove heater core, fan, a/c..." etc., but I had a problem. I hadn't drained the a/c of it's refrigerant so removing it meant harming the environment and making the Baby Jesus cry.....so I had to figure something else out.

The problem is circled in red here. This is where the secondary set of wires passes from the engine bay to the interior of the car right behind the heater core. Inside the red circle you can just see the two aluminum heater tubes. Behind those tubes is the rubber grommet allowing the wires to pass through

So my solution was simple; Smash, bash, tear, and pull out anything in the way of my getting to the hidden wiring. Luckily it's all brittle abs and although the heater core made things slow going.......I accomplished my mission AND PULLED THE SECONDARY HARNESS FROM THE ENGINE BAY INTO THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR

This photo shows the engine bay portion of the wiring harness above (I'm holding it in my hand out of frame) and the left and right sections of the interior portions of the wiring harness. You can see in the center of the photo the exposed heater core and the smashed abs plastic bits in the lower right corner

All there was left to do was pull the main harness from the exterior fender area through the opening under the left dashboard area. You'll have fun unplugging even more plugs, and fighting/coaxing the various runs of cable through but eventually it will all end up in your dirty little hands.

A hard fought battle filled with much peril........

The image of VICTORY

Last edited by ChesterKV on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea of the harness in relation to position and orientation to the donor car

Left and right sides of the harness explained

I placed the subaru cover amongst the wiring to show where the wires come together in the engine bay. The harness does not interconnect underneath the cover as the photo MAY imply.

Now I can farm-out the wiring to Tom Shiels in Canada and begin the process of removing the motor from the donor car. I spent around eight hours pulling all the wiring and that's fine with me considering I got the entire car for $ 400.00. In my final analysis I would prefer to buy an already pulled engine with a complete engine harness already removed from the car. That would be worth the usual $ 1,000 asking price I've seen.

But, that's for my next conversion . . . . d'oh!

Time to play some video games
drizzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Nice work Reply with quote

This is a great write up and will be VERY helpful to all that come after you. I really appreciate people taking the time to document stuff like this.

Have a beer on me!
-drew
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

I agree with drizzle - great write up and tutorial!

I had / have a brand new Subaru engine and I bought the harness (and all electrical part) from a guy for $200. I had no idea what he went through to remove it! Looks like a good days work. I asked for the cruise control with the harness. He was not sure what I needed so he brought me the entire dashboard and instrument cluster. Odometer read 273k, the car and engine were still running strong but had been involved in a rear-end collision and totaled.

Amazing.

I found the harness thru http://ultimatesubaru.org/ . This is a good site for Subaru tech info, used parts etc.

I fabricated and installed all of the plumbing on mine this weekend. Save all of your Vanagon hoses. They can be cut to make most of the connections with the Subaru engine. I was able to fabricate the entire system with the WBX hoses plus an assortment of 1.25" / 1" / and .5" copper pipe and fittings, and a 4’ section of 1.25” Marine Hose.

I have really been enjoying watching your progress. Great to see some SubaruVanagon discussion (and pictures!).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: