Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And so it begins - Subaru EJ22 in a 1984 Transporter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

.....Also I was wondering the same thing regarding the fuel line cleanup you did... Does the fuel system cleanup really offer any performance advantage over the possibility of CARB hassles?

Any thoughts?

The CARB referees don't actually know to look for "stock rigid fuel line placement". This setup has passed previous CARB inspections a dozen times over. Of course, with my luck I'll be the ONE guy who is told I'm in violation of the State of California Altered Fuel Line Preservation Act (SCAFLA) and will be subjected to a full body-cavity search, fined, and imprisoned......

I can't wait.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dudes,

I finally got the chance to drive my EJ22 conversion today. Uh, yeah, I've been waiting for the throttle-body adapter to arrive and it FINALLY arrived today. But that's another story... Rolling Eyes

My Impressions:

1. VERY smooth idle - I keep thinking the engine has shut off

2. Motor idles at a constant 700 rpm (give or take 25 rpm) - perfectly within specifications.

3. In normal street driving conditions the coolant temperature never rose above 181 degrees. 55 - 60 degree Fahrenheit conditions with high humidity so I know that's not saying much.

4. It has a "touch" more power than the old GoWesty 2.2 that I had before. It's just slightly stronger EXCEPT....

5. The GoWesty 2.2 actually had more torque at lower rpms than my current EJ22 has.

6. The first-generation EJ22 (1990-1994) motors simply don't have a lot of low-end grunt. It's enough power to get around but it seems to come up short when/if you floor it. The GoWesty 2.2 wins in this category.

7. I don't like my Kennedy (KEP) muffler. From the driver position, my Van sounds EXACTLY like a Subaru WRX STI 300 horsepower track car. It's kinda weird actually; I have a nearby neighbor who drives a REAL WRX STI and it's bizarre how his exhaust note and mine sound EXACTLY the same.

It's that kinda loud, aggressive, GRUMBLE RUMBLE GRUMBLE of a boxer engine. I actually don't like it and want something smoother and stealth-like.

8. Good God....I want more power.

9. See no. 8

Ok....So far it boils down to this;

Compared to the standard 1.9 or 2.1 WBX motors the EJ22 is MILES ahead of them. MUCH cleaner emissions and slightly better gas mileage. A better motor for the Vanagon/Transporter

Compared to the power output of a GoWesty 2.2 it's a toss-up. I would actually prefer the low-end grunt of the GoWesty 2.2 to my current setup because it's "more fun".

Bare in mind that GoWesty has been playing around with their 2.2 and the current version puts out about 10 horsepower less than my old one did. I believe my (2 1/2 years ago now) GW 2.2 was rated at 105 horsepower (forgot the torque number) and the current 2.2 is rated at 95 horsepower along with slightly lower compression. This means the Subaru EJ22 pulls ahead a bit MORE vs the current GoWesty 2.2 although it still probably has superior low-end pull/grunt (or perhaps they're closer now).

I now understand why Subaru lowered the max torque/rpm curve on their second generation EJ22s - to give them more low end power. Those motors are OBDII with single-port exhausts and not usually used for conversions at least in California.

I now REALLY understand why everyone says the EJ25 (2.5 liter) Subaru engine is the "ideal" choice. With 30 more horsepower and corresponding torque at lower rpms, it's easy for me to see how that would hit the "sweet-spot".

I'll be freeway testing next week or so, posting more conversion information, and hopefully paying a visit to the California CARB referees so the adventure continues.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
Hey Dudes,

I finally got the chance to drive my EJ22 conversion today. Uh, yeah, I've been waiting for the throttle-body adapter to arrive and it FINALLY arrived today. But that's another story... Rolling Eyes

My Impressions:

That's a great review - you are definitely in a unique position of first-hand comparing a two very competitive options. Like everyone else says, thanks for documenting this.

Now you just need to find a turbo kit.
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
ChesterKV wrote:
Hey Dudes,

My Impressions:

That's a great review - you are definitely in a unique position of first-hand comparing a two very competitive options. Like everyone else says, thanks for documenting this.

Now you just need to find a turbo kit.

I have an update to my post of yesterday. Long story short, the Subaru engine is more impressive than I originally believed.

Why?

Because the first time I drove it, I treated it like a WBX engine, shifting at or below 4,000 rpm and the like. Then I remembered this morning that Subaru is J A P A N E S E

BAKA ! d'oh!

What does this mean?

It means approaching redline before shifting is ENCOURAGED rather than a scary number to avoid. So I started shifting way later on the freeway (highway for non-Californians) and found myself shifting around 5,000 to 5,500 rpm. Since redline is 6,500 rpm this is NO problem for the motor. This made for a much more spirited drive, delivered faster acceleration times, and made the drive A LOT more fun.

Of course, this means a louder, rougher ride, so if you are still a traditional "go it slow" driver then the difference between a GoWesty 2.2 and the Subaru EJ22 won't seem so severe. But now I realize that my old GoWesty 2.2 couldn't match the EJ22 in outright power if you utilize the extra rpms available. I would dare say it would take a very well running GoWesty 2.4 to match the stock EJ22 in a quarter mile race....which.........probably isn't going to ...happen. Rolling Eyes

In any case, I'm thrilled that I was smiling like a crazy man today, shifting at 6,000 rpm, racing for the checkered flag.

- Chester
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 34 - 12 January 2008

Good Evening Dudes,

If you are going the Kennedy route for engine mount and exhaust components then you'll want to read the following. If you chose to use SmallCar then you can marvel at all the extra work you managed to avoid.....sigh.

The Kennedy (KEP) setup makes no provision for supporting the muffler. Their website simply says to "make something."

nice.... Not talking

I chose to use the Tom Shiels muffler support. Essentially it is a custom-fit welded steel-tube bracket that you attach your 1.9 or 2.1 WBX muffler mount and strap to.

Tom Shiels muffler support bracket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The lower flanged-web attaches to the exhaust manifold studs and the single top hole attaches to a surplus threaded hole on top of the engine. The VW muffler mount and strap then attaches to the vertical bar after you drill a couple of holes.

I inserted the supplied bolt where the top portion of the muffler support bracket will mount. It's just to the left of the oil filler flange.

At the bottom it attaches to two of the threaded exhaust header stids.

Here it is attached at the top.

And the view from below.

It's a tight fit so install everything as loose as possible; even then you'll have a bit or resistance but it WILL go on.

With the muffler support bracket on then I chose to install the Kennedy heat-shield since it will wrap around the Kennedy (KEP) catalytic converter and muffler. I figured I needed to get that out of the way so here goes.

The Kennedy system requires that the original rear VW heat shield be modified and the Kennedy heat shield bolted on to form a continous barrier shielding the plastic timing belt cover from the hot exhaust.

The original VW rear heat shield viewed from the front of the van looking towards the rear. You'll need to remove the support for the VW expansion tank (seen to the right) if you're doing what most people do and that is to place the expansion tank in the rear right corner of the engine bay.

Here's the KEP heat-shield that will be added to the bottom of the VW heat-shield once we cut away a portion. The slot on the right is to allow a muffler bracket to pass through from the engine and brace the end of the muffler while not touching the heat-shield. The heat-shield in turn bolts to the rear chassis of the van never touching the vibrating engine and muffler. This was MUCH easier said than done.

Remember, SmallCar product users don't have to do ANY of this.

Hard-to-see blue lines show the portion that is to be removed. View is from the rear of the van looking forwards.

A bit of a close-up.

The deed is done.

The bottom piece of the VW heat-shield is removed because if left on it will collide with the plastic timing belt covers and cause rub wear problems as shown here.

Another view of what an unmodified VW rear heat-shield looks like against the Subaru EJ22 motor.

The Kennedy heat-shield comes with pre-drilled holes so it's a simple matter of putting the sheld in position over the VW shield, marking, drill the holes, and one is ready to attach the two separate pieces.

I chose to use short 6 mm stainless steel bolts with a lock washer. I can't recall how long they are....just long enough to hold everything together.

View from inside the engine bay.

View from inside the "muffler and catalytic converter tunnel"

Here is the completed assembly viewed from the front of the van looking towards the rear.

Another view. I chose to leave a bit of the original VW lip around the pulley 'cause it looks good when installed in my opinion....there is no other reason to do it that way...you can just trim it so everything is flat.

The new hybrid shield then attaches to the rear of the Van frame normally. A few bolts and it's on tight. If your bolt just keeps spinning and won't tighten or loosen you'll have to take off the rear bumper and put a small 8mm or so box-wrench in a hard to reach cavity and hold the nut that's in there to tighten/loosen your new heat-shield.

In place and close to the Tom Shiels muffler support bracket.

So close that I trimmed a little extra to make sure it wouldn't hit the bracket. I think I took off too much....oh, well.

Close-up view showing the area of the muffler bracket "slot" with the blue lines showing where I'll cut more of the shield to clear the Tom Shiels muffler support bracket.

Here's the trim job to clear the bracket.

View from inside the engine bay with the heat-shield installed.

A tight fit.

There's a v-notch in the KEP heat-shield which helps align the two pieces.

The photo above shows the problem I encountered. Looking past the heat-shield to the Tom Shiels muffler support bracket one can see the right side of the bracket. Well, guess what? Eh?

The 1.9 muffler bracket has to mount on the LEFT side of the vertical bar on the Tom Shiels support because, well.....that's the only way it will go on since the horizontal bar is in the way. I don't know if the 2.1 muffler bracket found on '86 and later vans can use the right side of the vertical bar but in my case, it was time to start modifying.................sigh

But first, the 1.9 muffler bracket, strap and related parts. A real mess compared to the later 2.1 design.

This is all that matters for the conversion.

Another blurry shot showing the strap and bracket.

After enlarging the slot on the heatshield I test fit the 1.9 muffler bracket by actually installing the KEP catalytic converter and muffler which told me where to place the 1.9 bracket. I marked it's position and removed the catalytic converter and muffler.

Painter's tape holding the 1.9 bracket in place.

The view from inside the engine area showing how the 1.9 muffler bracket would hit the horizontal bar of the Tom Shiels muffler support bar if placed on the other side.

Another view of the 1.9 muffler bracket in the muffler hanger bay.

Once I was sure of where the 1.9 muffler bracket needed to be positioned I marked the drill points and made the holes.

Of course, one bolt hole required that I go right through the horizontal bar.....of course...

View from above; I used PB Blaster as a lubricant to keep temperatures down while I drilled.

I scrounged around for some nuts and bolts and attached the 1.9 muffler bracket to the Tom Shiels support. (heat-shield removed for clarity)

Since Kennedy ships the catalytic converted and muffler and tailpipe as a single unit, this supplied gasket and nuts/bolts is all that's required to attach to the exhaust manifold flange.

Everything bolted on.

A nice rusty 1.9 strap holding onto the shiny-new KEP muffler. I'm in the process of ordering a Terry Kay beefy steel 1.9 strap.

Overall view.

In the final analysis, this was a huge pain in the ass. None of this work would have been required with a SmallCar engine carrier as the stock VW heat-shield attaches to the SC carrier unmodified and the carrier itself acts as the mounting point for the VW muffler mounts and straps.

Additionally, the KEP heat-shield proved to be too close to the muffler and required more trimming and bending to stop vibrating when the engine is running. That's just lame.

The Kennedy system is outdated and looks a bit hokey/homebrew/amateur/second-rate.......other than that, it's g r e a t .... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ChesterKV on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

The question begs to be asked.....

Suppose a magic bus parked outside your door, and when you rubbed it the top popped and a genie appeared.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

You are allowed to go bakc in time, to when you stil had the GW motoe in there. KNOWING exactily what was involved, and how much time it would take, whould you still do it> all over again>?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Ok

The question begs to be asked.....

Suppose a magic bus parked outside your door, and when you rubbed it the top popped and a genie appeared.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

You are allowed to go bakc in time, to when you stil had the GW motoe in there. KNOWING exactily what was involved, and how much time it would take, whould you still do it> all over again>?

Hey Dude,

No question.....the Subaru EJ22 conversion RULES....

Except now I want to install an EJ25.... Rolling Eyes

- Chester
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, a very well-done ongoing project thread. I feel like I'm right there in the garage handing you tools. If I ever tackle a Suby conversion this thread will be my guide.

But, if I may digress, what on earth gives you this impression?:

Quote:

I have an update to my post of yesterday. Long story short, the Subaru engine is more impressive than I originally believed.

Why?

Because the first time I drove it, I treated it like a WBX engine, shifting at or below 4,000 rpm and the like. Then I remembered this morning that Subaru is J A P A N E S E

BAKA ! d'oh!

What does this mean?

It means approaching redline before shifting is ENCOURAGED rather than a scary number to avoid.

So G-E-R-M-A-N motors aren't suposed to rev? Don't say that around a BMW or Porsche driver, or a VW one either, unless you like being laughed at.

The real redline on a wbx is more like 6500rpm. The fuel cutoff comes on at 5600, but that's a long way from redline. VW put that in so you could actually rev it right up to that point without danger, and although torque peaks pretty low by design, especially on the 1.9's, the motor does continue to deliver the goods with a hp peak of 4800 on the MV (lower on the US DH, but that doesn't mean you can't rev higher; the power curve just runs kinda flat after that, but my EJ22 Legacy lays down by 5000 too). Hell, the green "economy" zone on the tach extends past 4k. Did you think that was the "safe zone"?

I understand that the torque is low down, and of course it is -the wbx is a truck motor first and foremost- but the thing is very well-balanced and designed to be run thru the revs. I mean I know it's a dog in a van, but it's no wonder people think it's a dead dog if they drive to keep it below 4k. They're not using a lot of the power it could make.

I run mine up to 5k+ on most shifts when I want to get up to highway speed. Sometimes I hit the fuel cutoff if I'm not watching the tach because the thing is so smooth as it climbs thru the high revs. I drove my stock motors the same way, and I've seen their bearings. I'm actually getting an ECU modified to raise the cutoff because I'm tired of being ripped off by that safety feature. I honestly don't understand why people think they have to baby this motor.

Just two cents from Tencent. Carry on with the great job!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Chester, a very well-done ongoing project thread. I feel like I'm right there in the garage handing you tools. If I ever tackle a Suby conversion this thread will be my guide.

But, if I may digress, what on earth gives you this impression?:

Quote:

Why?

BAKA ! d'oh!

What does this mean?

It means approaching redline before shifting is ENCOURAGED rather than a scary number to avoid.

So G-E-R-M-A-N motors aren't suposed to rev? Don't say that around a BMW or Porsche driver, or a VW one either, unless you like being laughed at.

The real redline on a wbx is more like 6500rpm. The fuel cutoff comes on at 5600, but that's a long way from redline. VW put that in so you could actually rev it right up to that point without danger, and although torque peaks pretty low by design, especially on the 1.9's, the motor does continue to deliver the goods with a hp peak of 4800 on the MV (lower on the US DH, but that doesn't mean you can't rev higher; the power curve just runs kinda flat after that, but my EJ22 Legacy lays down by 5000 too). Hell, the green "economy" zone on the tach extends past 4k. Did you think that was the "safe zone"?

I understand that the torque is low down, and of course it is -the wbx is a truck motor first and foremost- but the thing is very well-balanced and designed to be run thru the revs. I mean I know it's a dog in a van, but it's no wonder people think it's a dead dog if they drive to keep it below 4k. They're not using a lot of the power it could make.

I run mine up to 5k+ on most shifts when I want to get up to highway speed. Sometimes I hit the fuel cutoff if I'm not watching the tach because the thing is so smooth as it climbs thru the high revs. I drove my stock motors the same way, and I've seen their bearings. I'm actually getting an ECU modified to raise the cutoff because I'm tired of being ripped off by that safety feature. I honestly don't understand why people think they have to baby this motor.

Just two cents from Tencent. Carry on with the great job!

Tencent DUDE !

LOL...yeah...I'm totally on-board with what you're saying. I should have qualified my earlier statement by how everyone drives the 1.9/2.1 WBX motors, rather than what they are technically capable of. Taking a tired 1.9/2.1 past 5,000 rpm is an exercise in, "Why ?" since there's really nothing going on except noise. I redlined my GoWesty 2.2 a couple of times and that felt a lot better and when it hit the rev limiter...B A M

there went the power . . . . fun times

With the EJ22 that extra 1000 rpm upper limit just allows a certain flexibility and "room to breathe" that I didn't find with the WBX; add the additional power and it just makes for a fun experience. For those with a GoWesty 2.4 and 2.5 motors AND other custom WBX engines, a lot of that experience is shared.

- Chester
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's true that a lot of folks drive them that way. I find it strange because I suspect many of them are convinced they have to.

It's also true that the stock wbx's don't continue to build a lot more power right to redline like some motors do (although I find my EJ22 not to be among them!), due to the wbx being tuned for a relatively low torque peak. But it's not as if the power falls off either, it's just kinda flat. I just use that upper register because I can, it feels and sounds good, I know I'm doing no harm, and it lets me come into the next higher gear in a better band to keep accelerating.

Lately my focus, with the new exhaust and other projects, is to get it to keep building power to redline. I'm trying to have good torque low down but have the peak moved higher because I find I need it more at cruising speeds. And if I can get that rev-limiter raised it'll be that much more fun.

Anyway, nice work on the Suby thing. You've done a great service that most how-to's skate right around: highlighting the pitfalls that come up and your workarounds. That's a lot more valuable than a manual that just tells how to do it when everything goes right.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have sold me on the Small Car mount! Smile
WonkoTheSane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
In the final analysis, this was a huge pain in the ass. None of this work would have been required with a SmallCar engine carrier as the stock VW heat-shield attaches to the SC carrier unmodified and the carrier itself acts as the mounting point for the VW muffler mounts and straps.

Are there any readers out there who have the SmallCar carrier who can show us photos of their mount and heat shield? I'd love to see how it looks in comparison.

I'm still trying to decide what combination of parts to use from the various suppliers, keeping in mind I'm wanting to have enough of the KEP components to be able to get the CARB sticker, but still make my life as easy as possible during the conversion process. It seems most people are in agreement that a combination of parts from the various suppliers out there is the best way to go, as opposed to a whole "kit", but I'm still undecided as to what parts to get from whom.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WonkoTheSane wrote:
ChesterKV wrote:

Are there any readers out there who have the SmallCar carrier who can show us photos of their mount and heat shield? I'd love to see how it looks in comparison.

I'm still trying to decide what combination of parts to use from the various suppliers, keeping in mind I'm wanting to have enough of the KEP components to be able to get the CARB sticker, but still make my life as easy as possible during the conversion process. It seems most people are in agreement that a combination of parts from the various suppliers out there is the best way to go, as opposed to a whole "kit", but I'm still undecided as to what parts to get from whom.

I'm going to stop by The Buslab in Berkeley tomorrow. I'll see if there's an example of a SmallCar mount/heat-shield/S.C. exhaust there but I think they've switched over to primarily Kennedy (KEP) products. If one is there I'll see if I can take some photos.

- Chester
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dudes,

I was at my favorite Peet's this afternoon, you guys know, the one on Vine Street....and while sipping my tea and eating a fresh strawberry scone,

a lone figure walks alongside...

Hey...it's Warren Chapman from the Subaru/Vanagon Yahoo website.....wow

After exchanging pleasantries Warren piloted the new conversion on a shake-down evaluation.

The hand of the Master at work.....

A speeding Volvo wagen, a dark curving tunnel.......just the ticket to hit the redline.

Warren takes us to warp factor 2 or 3...the speedometer couldn't register the value.

Warren ponders the experience, advises me to adjust my parking brake, and gives a thumbs up.

All is well in the Universe now...
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Except now I want to install an EJ25.... Rolling Eyes"

Is the EJ25 a viable option for us Calafornians?
I thought someone said you could use the EJ22 with EJ25 heads? Is that an option?

Awesome job on the conversion and the pictures. Keep them coming!

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainpartytime wrote:

I thought someone said you could use the EJ22 with EJ25 heads? Is that an option?

Awesome job on the conversion and the pictures. Keep them coming!

Only the EJ22 has a CARB certification as long as you use Kennedy parts. HOWEVER, you can install an EJ25 and have a referee simply examine it as a conversion; There are two problems....you'll have to match the stock exhaust system EXACTLY and it's completely arbitrary depending upon who is your referee.....in other words, it might pass, it might not. There is NO way of knowing until you take the van to them.

As for the EJ25 long-block, EJ22 heads, this can be done but it's done "on the sly" because you're assuming the referee and/or smog technician knows NOTHING about these engines and fails to see the modification. Again, a chance of failure but it would seem a bit more worth it than the full EJ25 conversion.

I hate California sometimes.

I'm actually toying with the idea of an EJ22T but that would require a whole new (used) engine and wiring harness; so, not cheap.

- Chester
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Smallcar engine mount tips Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

Just a couple of comments.

If you use the Smallcar mount, also use the smallcar header and a VW J-Pipe....the KEP header doesn't line the muffler correctly for the Smallcar muffler mounts.

I'v never seen a Smallcar mount with the stock VW muffler clamp brackets...but doubt they will work. You need the matching Smallcar muffler brackets...or ,... like Leon Korkin make your own bracket to fit he Smallcar mount.

Warren C.

Last edited by vwsyncroguy on Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: EJ25s in CA Reply with quote

captainpartytime wrote:

EJ25s are all OBD-II and it's difficult to eliminate all the trouble codes. There are several emissions system related sensors in the Subaru gas tank that are very difficult to transfer to a Vanagon.

The EJ22 heads on an EJ25 longblock with low compression pistons is better suited as a replacement for a tired EJ22 ...AFTER... you've already gone to the CARB referee and received your bar codes sticker. I'd place a bigger bet on your local CA smog shop employee not noticing...or caring about the EJ25 block than a CARB referee.

Warren C.

Last edited by vwsyncroguy on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Discussing the CA CARB referees Reply with quote

I always get a little uneasy when I read threads discussing publicly what the CA CARB referees know or don't know...or notice and don't notice.....

Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I subscribe to the "let sleeping dogs lie" ...or "less said the better" attitude.

Hard to imagine anyone from CARB monitoring Vanagon forums...but, since I sailed through the inspection six years ago....with the first Subaru conversion that my local ref had ever seen...there've been a lot of Subaru conversions and I'll bet there's not a ref in CA that hasn't seen one...or several.

The familiarity has NOT resulted in consistency with applying whatever the rules are for the KEP executive order ...or for a non-KEP type conversions....in fact ..."subjective interpretations" seem to be more the rule.

So for my 2 cents....I subscribe to the "less said the better" or "speak when spoken to" philosophy when it comes to referees....both when there for the inspection....and afterwards...in forums like this.

Of course there are valid questions and a need to know what to expect when you go....but I rarely discuss ideas for "getting something by"...shall we say....except by p-mail. I even get nervous when I hear a report about one ref coming up with something "surprising"....for fear that the other refs will somehow hear/read about it and decide to have the same interpretation.

Call me silly.....Just my opinion.

Warren C.......(looking over my shoulder)
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Smallcar engine mount tips Reply with quote

warren C wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Just a couple of comments.

If you use the Smallcar mount, also use the smallcar header and a VW J-Pipe....the KEP header doesn't line the muffler correctly for the Smallcar muffler mounts.

The Smallcar mount (I think)doesn't use the stock VW muffler clamp brackets. You need the matching Smallcar brackets...or ,... like Leon Korkin make your own bracket to fit he Smallcar mount.

Warren C.

I look at using the Smallcar mount (complete with header, brackets, clamps, etc.) as a money vs. time tradeoff. I initially thought I'd chose the KEP route to save money, but with all the other things to be done (I'm getting lazy in my old age), I decided mostly to use the SmallCar system to eliminate at least some of the hassles. There are many money vs. time options like that now, including guys like Tom Shiels or Leon Korkin to fab things for us. Most of these weren't available to many of the early adopters. (Which you well know, of course.)

Last edited by RichBenn on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: